The Runner's thread

I like to throw on my Tennessee gear and go running around Indiana University. Nobody seems to care though, sports are dead here.

I do the same here at UCF. They don't care but I do get various reactions from the local Gator fans.

I ran in my UT gear untill I figured out that's why I had to keep dodging cars and kicking at ankle biters...

I do the same here at UCF. They don't care but I do get various reactions from the local Gator fans.
I've experienced the opposite up here. I've run into quite a few Bruce Pearl fans. I guess because of when he coached at Southern Indiana. I never thought I'd see the day where Indiana fans are complimenting Tennessee on their basketball program over their own. Then there's the whole Peyton Manning thing. I was wearing a Tennessee shirt at a gas station and the clerk actually thanked me for Peyton. I told him I do what I can. :)

I ran in my UT gear untill I figured out that's why I had to keep dodging cars and kicking at ankle biters...
I wish I had that problem. That's the kind of motivation I need. It's easier to run and push yourself when someone or something is chasing you.

Last edited:
I had been jogging for 20 years until I had to stop from knee conditions. I loved it, but now I wonder if it was worth the wear and tear on my knees and ankles. I do miss it, but my doctor told me it's about the worse thing I could do. He told me to swim, which bores me to no end...going back and forth in a pool. I would rather swim across Watts Bar.

I had been jogging for 20 years until I had to stop from knee conditions. I loved it, but now I wonder if it was worth the wear and tear on my knees and ankles. I do miss it, but my doctor told me it's about the worse thing I could do. He told me to swim, which bores me to no end...going back and forth in a pool. I would rather swim across Watts Bar.
Yeah, my chiropractor always talks about running being bad for the spine. He encourages a brisk walk instead. I told him I hate doing either, so I'm up for whatever gets done the fastest.

Yeah, my chiropractor always talks about running being bad for the spine. He encourages a brisk walk instead. I told him I hate doing either, so I'm up for whatever gets done the fastest.

Whenever I ran in a in these races that they seem to have every weekend, I always managed to get behind a good looking woman....it eased the pain:)

Well one more night of beer and then I'll be back on the running wagon again. I apologize for the delay the but the hops won out.

My favorite time is mid-evening. Things tend to cool off and it's a little easier when there are other runners out there to motivate.

I blessed to live 10 minutes from Appalachian Trail. Watching the sun peek over the mountains and the fog lift in the morning is pretty special.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I tend to head out about 1.5-2hrs before dark or early on Sat or Sun mornings.

I've run into two problems...

1) Shin problems during the run. Over-pronation?

2) Lower back pain. Just a side effect of getting back into running?

Like, if I land heel first...my back problems go away. But if I land on the heel, I also get those shin problems. Surely there's a happy medium of form that I can go with

I don't have a runners build but I got grit. I finish all my races. Just not all gracefully. :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm the same way homeslice. I just hope I can find some balance and all the little annoying pains go away

Lyls, you might try focusing on shortening your stride and landing on your midfoot. I gave up road running cause of the pounding. Trails only and I feel much better.

I ran yesterday evening at Mariner Point Park in Newport News. 5 miles around the lake. Absolutely beautiful and the locals are friendly. I would highly recommend it if ever in the area. Only problem it was 93 degrees and 200% humidity. Even my shins were soaking wet when I finished. Brutal.

VN Store

Back