The Road To Hoover

Another thing on Provey, as an example...he graduated from Columbia HS in middle Tennessee in 2013, CDS's 2nd year...so it's all together possible he had relationships with other coaches...Like Tyler Halas.

Halas signed with us out of Chicago and he's now at Palm Beach State. When his time there is done we'll have a shot at him again if he produces there. Same place Lipinski came from.

why does Tennessee choose not to offer what another similar SEC institution offers?

I don't want to sound like an expert on this so hopefully someone can confirm this or shoot it down but this is my impression.

Schools that want enrollment to go up target kids out of state with Tuition breaks and more liberal academic $ scholarships. HS kids with certain act scores get in state tuition and other incentives. Many of the Sec schools offer such things

Tenn, about 10 years ago, went the opposite direction. They wanted to raise their academic prestige and lowering attendance was a way to do so. Admission Requirements were raised and scholarships thresholds were are well. Simply put tenn no longer wanted to grow as a university

From what I know about the universities academic standing those strategies have worked very well. Athletically they have not and that especially has hurt baseball but to suggest the entire plan of the University should be changed for baseball isn't reality IMO

Another thing on Provey, as an example...he graduated from Columbia HS in middle Tennessee in 2013, CDS's 2nd year...so it's all together possible he had relationships with other coaches...Like Tyler Halas.

Halas signed with us out of Chicago and he's now at Palm Beach State. When his time there is done we'll have a shot at him again if he produces there. Same place Lipinski came from.

Halas only batted .211 this year in JC. Not sure if he will make it back to UT with those numbers. They did miss out on Hunter Tackett! Originally from Anderson Co., went to Auburn and this season played at Northwest FL JC. He batted .441 with 10 HRs and 58 RBIs...all leading the team and has signed to play at Miami (FL) for next season. No idea why they didn't pursue him or if they did, why he didn't want to come home and play.
Hunter Tackett | #37 | | Northwest Florida State College - Northwest Florida State College

I don't want to sound like an expert on this so hopefully someone can confirm this or shoot it down but this is my impression.

Schools that want enrollment to go up target kids out of state with Tuition breaks and more liberal academic $ scholarships. HS kids with certain act scores get in state tuition and other incentives. Many of the Sec schools offer such things

Tenn, about 10 years ago, went the opposite direction. They wanted to raise their academic prestige and lowering attendance was a way to do so. Admission Requirements were raised and scholarships thresholds were are well. Simply put tenn no longer wanted to grow as a university

From what I know about the universities academic standing those strategies have worked very well. Athletically they have not and that especially has hurt baseball but to suggest the entire plan of the University should be changed for baseball isn't reality IMO

This is what I can find on the subject. There's this thing called Academic Common Market and every SEC school sans Vanderbilt participates in it.

The purpose of this is to offer in state tuition to out of state students for certain fields of study. The schools are cooperating with each other. The University of Tennessee offers only one option... in the field of nursing and that is a graduate program. We offer no undergraduate programs.

For instance a Tennessee resident can go to LSU study Mass Communication (political communication) and not pay out of state tuition.

Or...MSU for Professional Golf Management or Landscape Architecture.

Or...Marine Science at USCe or Hospitality Management, Tourism Management...

Just to name a few.

The University of Tennessee is barely a participant by comparison.

Kinesiology and Business Administration seem popular at MSU for out of state baseball players, including Tennessee kids Barlow and Small, both kinesiology majors along with Breaux from Louisiana...

This is what I can find on the subject. There's this thing called Academic Common Market and every SEC school sans Vanderbilt participates in it.

The purpose of this is to offer in state tuition to out of state students for certain fields of study. The schools are cooperating with each other. The University of Tennessee offers only one option... in the field of nursing and that is a graduate program. We offer no undergraduate programs.

For instance a Tennessee resident can go to LSU study Mass Communication (political communication) and not pay out of state tuition.

Or...MSU for Professional Golf Management or Landscape Architecture.

Or...Marine Science at USCe or Hospitality Management, Tourism Management...

Just to name a few.

The University of Tennessee is barely a participant by comparison.

Kinesiology and Business Administration seem popular at MSU for out of state baseball players, including Tennessee kids Barlow and Small, both kinesiology majors along with Breaux from Louisiana...

Yes that's one way to get around out of state tuition but the best and most used way is grade specific regardless of major selected. I want to say the Mississippi schools get in state tuition for kids that have a 24act or higher. That would be worth looking up.

Edit: miss state takes a 26 to get out of state waived. Ole miss is a 30 so that one isn't used much.

Can't find the JC stuff but will keep looking

Last edited:
Damn you 66 I am not getting anything done searching the web looking for this stuff.

I am fascinated with what I found on USCe website. The short version is they offer need based aid just not at the same level as Vandy.

They also offer a $5000 scholarship to juco out of state transfers that have a 3.0 which most baseball players have that.

Damn you 66 I am not getting anything done searching the web looking for this stuff.

I am fascinated with what I found on USCe website. The short version is they offer need based aid just not at the same level as Vandy.

They also offer a $5000 scholarship to juco out of state transfers that have a 3.0 which most baseball players have that.

I appreciate the effort. The overall point is the same whether each school does it differently and to what degree, if it's a resource they have that we don't we are at a disadvantage so, whether it's attracting players or a new coach, it's just another reason on a list of reasons for choosing somewhere else.

I appreciate the effort. The overall point is the same whether each school does it differently and to what degree, if it's a resource they have that we don't we are at a disadvantage so, whether it's attracting players or a new coach, it's just another reason on a list of reasons for choosing somewhere else.

Agreed for sure

It's the biggest reason why we are at best the 12th best job in the SEC IMO

Agreed for sure

It's the biggest reason why we are at best the 12th best job in the SEC IMO

I saw Calvi made your list...I think anyone who has been in the SEC the last 5-8 years and knows the SEC landscape, I think it's gonna be hard to get guys like that.

I saw Calvi made your list...I think anyone who has been in the SEC the last 5-8 years and knows the SEC landscape, I think it's gonna be hard to get guys like that.

Not sure about that. He tried hard to get auburn twice other jobs as well without any luck

I think he would take it

Problem solved, wear the White "T" uni's over the next 11 games and we go 10-1 or 9-2 and make Hoover and possibly beyond............:)

ChfDrUgWwAI8mCk.jpg

I always wanted my pitchers to wear white, as bright white as possible. It can help hide the ball. Look at the records. I'm right ha!

WKU started this probably 10 years ago with certain counties in border states. The Nashville MSA, Evansville MSA, Louisville MSA into IN and Cincy MSA areas were some of the first. This has since expanded to STL, ATL, Tampa and Chicago areas. It was done as a way to not only increase enrollment but to expand and diversify from the regional university it had always been.

Enrollment went from 14k in 1997, when President Ransdell took over to 22k today. Long story short, the baseball roster demographics reflect these tuition break regions. When a KY kid is unavailable the roster spot is filled by a TN, IL or MO kid for the most part.

WKU started this probably 10 years ago with certain counties in border states. The Nashville MSA, Evansville MSA, Louisville MSA into IN and Cincy MSA areas were some of the first. This has since expanded to STL, ATL, Tampa and Chicago areas. It was done as a way to not only increase enrollment but to expand and diversify from the regional university it had always been.

Enrollment went from 14k in 1997, when President Ransdell took over to 22k today. Long story short, the baseball roster demographics reflect these tuition break regions. When a KY kid is unavailable the roster spot is filled by a TN, IL or MO kid for the most part.

Good post

They even have a area in south florida around Miami I think

I see too many excuses in this thread. It is time to man up and put a winning product on the field. Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Clemson, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and so on continue to put great products on the field. It is time that we do the same.

Dave had 5 years which is more than enough time in college baseball. Let's give someone else a shot to build a program.

Reactions: 1 person
I see too many excuses in this thread. It is time to man up and put a winning product on the field. Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Clemson, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and so on continue to put great products on the field. It is time that we do the same.

Dave had 5 years which is more than enough time in college baseball. Let's give someone else a shot to build a program.

Agreed it's time for a change but the "excuses" you refer to are real reasons the next coach very likely has a similar fate

Reactions: 2 people

Once again, I find this post so shallow and short-sighted. If you have a coach that is better than CDS wanting to come to TN than by all means give him a shot. That person should be someone that has gone into a situation where they have had significant challenges and somehow...through better coaching....better climate...motivation...connections...overcome the challenges to be successful. A coach that comes to mind is someone like Tracy Smith, when he was at Indiana (now at ASU). That would have been a coach worth looking at.

The programs that you have listed would have many applicants if one of them were to open. I challenge you to find an up and coming coach that brings excitement to UT baseball in a way that will turn the program around. Stop blaming CDS...this is a coach that has been to the CWS 6 times (4 as an assistant, 2 as a head coach) including being part of a staff that won it in 2004 (he was the pitching coach and recruiting coord.), his Fullerton teams won the Big West 3 of the 4 years, and he has worked on national teams. It is time to realize the commitment that UT is making to baseball in not good enough. You got lucky by having CDS take a chance and agree to come out here. He has the ability to coach! His track record proves it! The issue is deeper than coaching. Everyone, including CDS, thought by investing in a top tier coach, that would solve everything...it didn't. It is time for the UT athletic department to really take the time and analyze why they are where they are. It may mean a new coach (one that can implement their plan on turning this program around), but they damn well better have one ready to come here before they let CDS go. By the way...just a prediction....if CDS is let go...he ends up at USC or Long Beach State a few years and is in the CWS before UT.

Once again, I find this post so shallow and short-sighted. If you have a coach that is better than CDS wanting to come to TN than by all means give him a shot. That person should be someone that has gone into a situation where they have had significant challenges and somehow...through better coaching....better climate...motivation...connections...overcome the challenges to be successful. A coach that comes to mind is someone like Tracy Smith, when he was at Indiana (now at ASU). That would have been a coach worth looking at.

The programs that you have listed would have many applicants if one of them were to open. I challenge you to find an up and coming coach that brings excitement to UT baseball in a way that will turn the program around. Stop blaming CDS...this is a coach that has been to the CWS 6 times (4 as an assistant, 2 as a head coach) including being part of a staff that won it in 2004 (he was the pitching coach and recruiting coord.), his Fullerton teams won the Big West 3 of the 4 years, and he has worked on national teams. It is time to realize the commitment that UT is making to baseball in not good enough. You got lucky by having CDS take a chance and agree to come out here. He has the ability to coach! His track record proves it! The issue is deeper than coaching. Everyone, including CDS, thought by investing in a top tier coach, that would solve everything...it didn't. It is time for the UT athletic department to really take the time and analyze why they are where they are. It may mean a new coach (one that can implement their plan on turning this program around), but they damn well better have one ready to come here before they let CDS go. By the way...just a prediction....if CDS is let go...he ends up at USC or Long Beach State a few years and is in the CWS before UT.

So, you are telling us that the baseball program at The University of Tennessee, an SEC program, doesn't have the resources to win in college baseball that Cal States Fullerton and Irvine do?

The last 5 years go on the resume, too, by the way. Coach Serrano is a class act, but the bottom line are the results on the field, and those results have not improved over the coach he was hired to replace - in 5 years. I simply don't see any rational or reasonable argument of how he should be retained at this point. The numbers just don't add up. If he were coaching any other sport at UT would there be any question that a change is imminent?

It's time to move on.

So, you are telling us that the baseball program at The University of Tennessee, an SEC program, doesn't have the resources to win in college baseball that Cal States Fullerton and Irvine do?

The last 5 years go on the resume, too, by the way. Coach Serrano is a class act, but the bottom line are the results on the field, and those results have not improved over the coach he was hired to replace - in 5 years. I simply don't see any rational or reasonable argument of how he should be retained at this point. The numbers just don't add up. If he were coaching any other sport at UT would there be any question that a change is imminent?

It's time to move on.

Much easier to win a CSF than here and it has nothing to do with resources.

I posted when CDS was hired that winning here was going to be difficult and if he failed it wouldn't mean he was any worse of a coach. I stand by that today but to me it's clear he is just a better fit on the west coast.

I will say the exact same thing about the next coach in terms of success and failure but the program must have a change now to hopefully rid itself of the staleness it currently has.

Much easier to win a CSF than here and it has nothing to do with resources.

I posted when CDS was hired that winning here was going to be difficult and if he failed it wouldn't mean he was any worse of a coach. I stand by that today but to me it's clear he is just a better fit on the west coast.

I will say the exact same thing about the next coach in terms of success and failure but the program must have a change now to hopefully rid itself of the staleness it currently has.

I don't think he is a bad coach - still don't. But as you say, coaching on the West Coast and coaching in the SEC are two entirely different entities. For whatever reasons, the philosophy from the West Coast just never did translate in to wins here.

I don't think he is a bad coach - still don't. But as you say, coaching on the West Coast and coaching in the SEC are two entirely different entities. For whatever reasons, the philosophy from the West Coast just never did translate in to wins here.

Agreed and now the perception of the program is too much to overcome even with 2 very good assistants steering this thing away from that style IMO

It's time to move on.

I am telling you that Fullerton makes more of a commitment to baseball, in comparison to its competition, than UT does. Way different programs...with way different challenges.

Also, who is the great baseball mind that you have in mind to change the program? Again, if you said that, insert coach's name, was the fit that UT needed and then supported your rationale...that is a different story. Tennessee is not a baseball hotbed...it protects in state students (a good thing if you are a TN taxpayer), it is two hours from a powerhouse, and in a conference where many programs have made bigger strides to keep up with the level of competition that is getting better every year.

VN Store

Back