The Road To Hoover

LSU wins it on an error 10-9 in 10 innings..every team that we needed to lose today lost while we won..we are definitely very much alive for Hoover

Let's Go Boys the last two weeks will be a heck of a ride... A win tomorrow and I think we can start booking tickets to Hoover

Right now there are four teams tied at 7-16(Vols, Dawgs, Auburn, Arky) and Missouri is 7-17..I think it's probably safe to say that 3 of those teams will make the tourney and 2 won't..everyone else is 4-5 games ahead in the loss column.. We have LSU here and UGA away..need to take one from LSU and try to steal two on the road imo...won't be easy

Last edited:
If we get to Hoover, we'll win it all.

I like your optimism txbo......maybe a little far fetched however I'll venture to say we could definitely win a few games if we stay out of the losers bracket and the ball bounced right!

And congrats on the graduation and improved health!

I don't know why I care about potential tie breakers to squeak into a 12-place finish. But I do. And I don't know why losing a home series is encouraging. But it is.

So here is where we are with two weeks to go.

9 teams are safely in: Florida, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky from the east. Texas A&M, Miss State, Ole Miss, LSU, and Alabama from the east. Since the expanded tournament format, no team with 11 or more wins has failed to reach the conference tournament, and these teams all have at least 12 wins.

Of the remaining five teams, Georgia is in the best shape. They're a game up on the back of the pack with remaining series @ Mizzou and vs. UT. Tied for most wins and weakest remaining schedule.

Mizzou has Georgia at home and plays at UK. They own a head-to-head tiebreaker with us.

So we know at least one of them will get at least two more wins, which would be very hard for us to make up. So 11th place is our realistic ceiling at this point.

Auburn is the other team with 8 wins, but they have the toughest schedule: Miss State and @ Vanderbilt. They own a head-to-head tiebreaker with us

Arkansas has Alabama and closes at Mississippi State. We have a better record against our highest seeded common opponent tiebreaker on them.

We have LSU at home and close at Georgia. Two wins is probably not enough. Three might be.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know why I care about potential tie breakers to squeak into a 12-place finish. But I do. And I don't know why losing a home series is encouraging. But it is.

So here is where we are with two weeks to go.

9 teams are safely in: Florida, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky from the east. Texas A&M, Miss State, Ole Miss, LSU, and Alabama from the east. Since the expanded tournament format, no team with 11 or more wins has failed to reach the conference tournament, and these teams all have at least 12 wins.

Of the remaining five teams, Georgia is in the best shape. They're a game up on the back of the pack with remaining series @ Mizzou and vs. UT. Tied for most wins and weakest remaining schedule.

Mizzou has Georgia at home and plays at UK. They own a head-to-head tiebreaker with us.

So we know at least one of them will get at least two more wins, which would be very hard for us to make up. So 11th place is our realistic ceiling at this point.

Auburn is the other team with 8 wins, but they have the toughest schedule: Miss State and @ Vanderbilt. They own a head-to-head tiebreaker with us

Arkansas has Alabama and closes at Mississippi State. We have a better record against our highest seeded common opponent tiebreaker on them.

We have LSU at home and close at Georgia. Two wins is probably not enough. Three might be.

It isn't ideal obviously, but it's always better to make the SECT than not make it.

It isn't ideal obviously, but it's always better to make the SECT than not make it.

Agreed but it seems to me many are attaching this to our coaching future. There shouldn't be any difference in 12th and 13th when deciding who coaches next year IMO

Agreed but it seems to me many are attaching this to our coaching future. There shouldn't be any difference in 12th and 13th when deciding who coaches next year IMO

Even if this team gets to Hoover, short of an NCAA bid, which pretty much would mean winning the SEC tourney, I don't see how a new contract for the current head coach can be justified.

The only way is if the powers that be decide that baseball just isn't worth trying to better, and if that is the case, then just shut it down,

UT needs to win at least 2 in Baton Rouge this weekend and sweep Georgia at home to make it to Hoover this season.

They will have to win the LSU series because the Vols' have not shown the ability to win on the road.

Good point I think we buck that trend mainly because I think ga is the worse team in the league

Win 1 this weekend and 2 next is my prediction

Good point I think we buck that trend mainly because I think ga is the worse team in the league

Win 1 this weekend and 2 next is my prediction

I dunno about worst team. UGA has played a tough schedule, SOS ranks 1 and RPI is 30 according to warrennolan.com...they have also played more top 50 RPI teams than anyone else in the conference and are 8-18 in those games. That's not great but is certainly better than a team like Missouri, they are 0-15 versus top 50 RPI teams.

Between these teams at the bottom, Tennessee, UGA, Missouri, Auburn and Arkansas...it's a coin flip this season.

Our two remaining opponents have a lot to play for.

LSU has lost series to Ole Miss and MSU, plays UF next week, and hasn't nailed down a regional host yet. They come to town knowing they have work to do.

Georgia needs to beat Mizzou and UT to prove they deserve the RPI they got by losing to top teams.

We would benefit from a sweep by either Mizzou or Georgia this weekend. Let one of them run away and leave the other within range.

LSU is playing a double header at Notre Dame right now...these are 7 inning games but the first one is already in the 9th tied 0-0.

LSU is playing a double header at Notre Dame right now...these are 7 inning games but the first one is already in the 9th tied 0-0.

Interesting

My impression is teams that play longer road trips play less than their best on the weekend following

Interesting

My impression is teams that play longer road trips play less than their best on the weekend following

That's what I'm hoping. Of course school is over and they are flying so it may not be the usual thing.

LSU wins the 2 game series with ND...they didn't look very good doing it though. ND is flying to UNC.

VN Store

Back