The Road To Hoover

Recruiting quality pitching depth is simple economics.

It takes $ to get them to campus. It's all about how far you can make 11.7 go and that is one of the biggest reasons we don't have it

How are we different than South Carolina?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
How are we different then South Carolina?

My knowledge in their $ structure isn't high enough to answer very strongly but I am almost certain they have a out of state waiver for good grades for juco guys. They have a few tenn juco Guys on their roster

Last edited:
My knowledge in their $ structure isn't high enough to answer very strongly but I am almost certain they have a out of state waiver for good grades for juco guys. They have a few tenn juco Guys on their roster

We're talking pitching right?

SC has four JUCO pitchers, two of them are from USC Sumter, Colie Bowers, 9.1 IP and Dillon Hodge who has not pitched this year.

Hayden Heflin is from Spartanburg Methodist, he hasn't pitched this season.

Colton Provey IS from Walter State, he's pitched 5.1 IP and has an ERA of 10.02.

Clarke Schmidt is from Georgia and Braden Webb is from Oklahoma, Wil Crowe is from Tennessee...what's their advantage other than their budget is almost 2 times ours?

Why did Wil Crowe, 30 minutes away from UT's campus choose SC?

Last edited:
We're talking pitching right?

SC has four JUCO pitchers, two of them are from USC Sumter, Colie Bowers, 9.1 IP and Dillon Hodge who has not pitched this year.

Hayden Heflin is from Spartanburg Methodist, he hasn't pitched this season.

Colton Provey IS from Walter State, he's pitched 5.1 IP and has an ERA of 10.02.

Clarke Schmidt is from Georgia and Braden Webb is from Oklahoma, Wil Crowe is from Tennessee...what's their advantage other than their budget is almost 2 times ours?

Why did Wil Crowe, 30 minutes away from UT's campus choose SC?

Again it's about making the 11.7 go further.

There isn't a separate budget for hitters and pitchers so you have to name all juco guys they have and how much they contribute really doesn't matter unless they are walk ons.

As far a Crowe goes I believe the tenn dropped the ball on his recruitment but someone close to that area might know more differently

There isn't a separate budget for hitters and pitchers so you have to name all juco guys they have and how much they contribute really doesn't matter unless they are walk ons.

As far a Crowe goes I believe the tenn dropped the ball on his recruitment but someone close to that area might know more differently

You are the one that said recruiting quality pitching to campus is simple economics...then you brought up JUCO's...even though SC isn't getting any quality pitching from the JUCO pitchers.

My point is this: you can't say it's all about the money, it's all about loopholes that we for some reason can't exploit AND say UT doesn't need to invest more in the baseball program.

Well you can...I guess.

But it doesn't pass the smell test.

You are the one that said recruiting quality pitching to campus is simple economics...then you brought up JUCO's...even though SC isn't getting any quality pitching from the JUCO pitchers.

My point is this: you can't say it's all about the money, it's all about loopholes that we for some reason can't exploit AND say UT doesn't need to invest more in the baseball program.

Well you can...I guess.

But it doesn't pass the smell test.

Let me try to explain a little better.

USCe has 5 juco kids total on their roster that are out of state.

For the sake of this discussion let's assume 3 of the 5 get out of state waivers with good grades. Instead of giving those 3 60% you can now give them 40% to get them

That's an extra 60% to spend on elite hs arms. That very easily might mean getting 2 more elite arms Because most of them are high $ recruits. So now instead of giving 50% they are now able to give 80%

Speaking of crowe i believe i once read an article not sure where that said he was actually from sc and his family moved to tn because of a parents job

I don't know how these guys are doing this year in HS ball...We'll probably lose ZL...I don't know who else, but a coaching change might make a tough decision easier...

TN RHP Zach Linginfelter 95 MPH...prolly lose this guy
VA RHP Garrett Stallings 91 MPH
GA RHP Connor Darling 91 MPH
VA LHP Luc Lipcius 83 MPH
TN LHP William Heflin 89 MPH
TN LHP Redmond Walsh 86 MPH
GA RHP Andrew Schultz 96 MPH

On the second question...I've always maintained I thought he had to make a regional because he's made Hoover twice and that wasn't a reason for Hart to extend him.

However, there is also the issue of Kyle...I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think a program decides long term issues over just a father and son. I know this...recruiting for 17 and 18 is hurting due to this...I know we got Trammell the other day, but we likely get him regardless of who the coach is....

I don't have any inside info, I don't know more than anyone else here, all speculation on my part.

I have been following our recruits pretty closely and wrote this on the signee section a couple of days ago:

"I checked out Zach Linginfelter this week vs Seymour and was NOT disappointed. He did great and impressed me and the 20+ scouts that were there to watch him. From the guns I was able to see, he was consistently over 90mph. Had pretty good off speed stuff too but probably still has some work to do there. However, when you have his FB with all the run it seemed to have, you can probably get by until the off speed stuff is better developed. After seeing the number of scouts in attendance I don't feel too confident that he will ever wear the orange. Hope I am wrong! After seeing the two local kids in person, Walsh and Linginfelter, I feel great about the future. The sentinel had an article saying Walsh's era is 0.54 and he has had 40 Ks in the last 3 games! Two kids that can pitch and throw STRIKES!"

I have also seen Schultz, Darling, Heflin and Stallings in person over the last year. So, basically everyone except Lipcius. They are ALL talented! IMO Schultz is the biggest question mark. He can absolutely bring it but he does seem to have control issues and his FB was pretty flat. I like Stallings a lot. He is probably the 2nd best RH prospect behind Linginfelter. He has movement on his FB and can also bring it. Darling is somewhere in between Schultz and Stallings. He has better control than Schultz but is a high 80s low 90s guy. I think he can be very good. Walsh, who I saw a couple of weeks ago, was real impressive and is already in the high 80s according to the guns that I saw. His CB and change-up are NASTY. If they can beef him up some he may have the most potential of all. He is about Will Neely size. Heflin, is very similar and once he recovers from TJ surgery he has the potential to help as well. He is already pretty physically developed so I am not sure how much more is in the tank. Hopefully the surgery will allow him to get back up to the high 80s and low 90s to go along with his control. He also has great off speed stuff and knows how to pitch. I am still guessing that Zach L. will be cashing a check pretty soon and not be a Vol. But hopefully we can get all of these cats on campus this fall!

Let me try to explain a little better.

USCe has 5 juco kids total on their roster that are out of state.

For the sake of this discussion let's assume 3 of the 5 get out of state waivers with good grades. Instead of giving those 3 60% you can now give them 40% to get them

That's an extra 60% to spend on elite hs arms. That very easily might mean getting 2 more elite arms Because most of them are high $ recruits. So now instead of giving 50% they are now able to give 80%

Why can't we make the same waiver available?

We have one more out of state JUCO player playing in the lineup than they do btw.

I have been following our recruits pretty closely and wrote this on the signee section a couple of days ago:

"I checked out Zach Linginfelter this week vs Seymour and was NOT disappointed. He did great and impressed me and the 20+ scouts that were there to watch him. From the guns I was able to see, he was consistently over 90mph. Had pretty good off speed stuff too but probably still has some work to do there. However, when you have his FB with all the run it seemed to have, you can probably get by until the off speed stuff is better developed. After seeing the number of scouts in attendance I don't feel too confident that he will ever wear the orange. Hope I am wrong! After seeing the two local kids in person, Walsh and Linginfelter, I feel great about the future. The sentinel had an article saying Walsh's era is 0.54 and he has had 40 Ks in the last 3 games! Two kids that can pitch and throw STRIKES!"

I have also seen Schultz, Darling, Heflin and Stallings in person over the last year. So, basically everyone except Lipcius. They are ALL talented! IMO Schultz is the biggest question mark. He can absolutely bring it but he does seem to have control issues and his FB was pretty flat. I like Stallings a lot. He is probably the 2nd best RH prospect behind Linginfelter. He has movement on his FB and can also bring it. Darling is somewhere in between Schultz and Stallings. He has better control than Schultz but is a high 80s low 90s guy. I think he can be very good. Walsh, who I saw a couple of weeks ago, was real impressive and is already in the high 80s according to the guns that I saw. His CB and change-up are NASTY. If they can beef him up some he may have the most potential of all. He is about Will Neely size. Heflin, is very similar and once he recovers from TJ surgery he has the potential to help as well. He is already pretty physically developed so I am not sure how much more is in the tank. Hopefully the surgery will allow him to get back up to the high 80s and low 90s to go along with his control. He also has great off speed stuff and knows how to pitch. I am still guessing that Zach L. will be cashing a check pretty soon and not be a Vol. But hopefully we can get all of these cats on campus this fall!

Thanks for your updates, I've been reading them in the recruiting thread.

The question is, of these pitchers you've seen, who does and does not make it to campus in your opinion?

Why can't we make the same waiver available?

We have one more out of state JUCO player playing in the lineup than they do btw.

Yes I would bet we paid a lot more for our juco guys than they did

We could offer the waivers if the school wanted to offer it to all students across the board but tenn isn't about growing attendance numbers. If anything it's about limiting it or at least has been over the last decade

Thanks for your updates, I've been reading them in the recruiting thread.

The question is, of these pitchers you've seen, who does and does not make it to campus in your opinion?

I think they all do except Zach Linginfelter. Sadly, he is a difference maker IMO and we need him.

Yes I would bet we paid a lot more for our juco guys than they did.

Um...I bet not. Maybe Leno, maybe Lipinski...at that point it's a lifeline.

I think SC is a better destination, a more proven destination, maybe the money is better, maybe it isn't, but if I was a big time pitcher...just saying.

Um...I bet not. Maybe Leno, maybe Lipinski...at that point it's a lifeline.

I think SC is a better destination, a more proven destination, maybe the money is better, maybe it isn't, but if I was a big time pitcher...just saying.

You bet not???

Then you give reasons that would say otherwise. Of course USCe is a better destination which means the only way we would have any shot to outrecruit them or just about any other SEC/ACC school is to out bid them with higher %s which was was point in the first place

Do you think all of them but ZL make it to campus if CDS is let go?

That is a great question. Even with CDS staying, I think the 3 they are really concerned about are ZL, Duncan Pence and Trevyne Carter, with Stallings having an outside shot to go.

IF CDS and STAFF are terminated, I think you better be concerned about a lot of them having second thoughts. Sosnowski is from CA and Chinea from S. FL, so I think they would have a pretty tough time coming that far w/o knowing the new staff. The TN kids would probably still come even though Pence, Walsh and Heflin played for Simcox and are very close to him. The one saving grace is that the other classes around the country are already full, the 11.7 schollys have already been divided so it would be hard to find other spots for these kids this late.

If CDS is fired I think the new HC would have to take a close look at keeping Simcox on staff. Unless you just want to bring your old staff with you, where would you find a better coach with ties to UT and the local community, that brings what he brings to the staff?

Problem solved, wear the White "T" uni's over the next 11 games and we go 10-1 or 9-2 and make Hoover and possibly beyond............:)

ChfDrUgWwAI8mCk.jpg

The white T jerseys are my favorite.

I know the guys like the grays probably but I think we wear them too much.

You bet not???

Then you give reasons that would say otherwise. Of course USCe is a better destination which means the only way we would have any shot to outrecruit them or just about any other SEC/ACC school is to out bid them with higher %s which was was point in the first place

Just talking about the juco players that are new to the team this season...they had no leverage. We didn't recruit them. All except Bartlett were picked up after the draft.

How many choices did they have that were better than Tennessee? They didn't get drafted, literally running out of options if they want to continue playing baseball.

Just talking about the juco players that are new to the team this season...they had no leverage. We didn't recruit them. All except Bartlett were picked up after the draft.

How many choices did they have that were better than Tennessee? They didn't get drafted, literally running out of options if they want to continue playing baseball.

A lot of the Elite juco guys wait until after the draft to sign with schools but yes I don't know the specifics of all of our juco guys

A lot of the Elite juco guys wait until after the draft to sign with schools but yes I don't know the specifics of all of our juco guys

I do know the Provey kid at USCe was offered by tenn very late last year and he turned down the offer and went to USCe

We are not talking about elite recruits here Bruin, we're talking about three guys in the mad rush, post draft to pick up the pieces that we lost.

We are not talking about elite recruits here Bruin, we're talking about three guys in the mad rush, post draft to pick up the pieces that we lost.

You think Provey was an elite recruit out of Walters state last summer who ended up at USCe?

He was. Offered by multiple sec schools with huge offers was the word. Tenn lost out and he could have helped us I am sure much more so than there.

Maybe he could have, maybe he will have more to offer SC next season. Like Bret Marks, we got one season out of him which is slightly better than Tei Vanderford who spent a couple seasons here, graduated and never accumulated any stats.

If I agree with your premise that it is all about money and that SC is a public university that benefits from a lottery as we do...why does Tennessee choose not to offer what another similar SEC institution offers?

VN Store

Back