The Rich Get Richer

Les Miles already filling up 2009 Recruiting Class
by TigerDroppings.com Staff
Les Miles is already tearing it up on the recruiting trail, having already received verbal commitments from these players:
Michael Ford, RB (5'10", 200 lb, Leesville, LA)
Henry Orelus, C (6'2", 257 lb, Belle Glade, FL)
Mike Brockers, DE (6'6", 260 lb, Houston, TX)
Janzen Jackson, DB (6'1", 185 lb, Lake Charles, LA)
Josh Downs, DL (6'1", 262lb, Bastrop, LA)
Drayton Calhoun, ATH (6'0", 175lb, Tucker, GA)
Russell Shepard, ATH (6'2", 183, Houston, TX)
Chris Garrett, QB (6'4", 220, Tupelo, MS)
Dexter Pratt, RB (6'2", 220, Navasota, TX)
Kevin Minter, LB (6'1", 240, Suwanee, GA)

7 from outside of the state. Tennessee needs to capitalize on Stokes' commit and gain some mo', because the other SEC powers are loading up.

Schools I worry about getting outrecruited by:

1. UGA
2. UF
3. Bama
4. SC
5. KY
6. VU
7. Arky
8t. LSU, AU, MSU, Ole Miss
12t. UAB, S.Miss, Wyoming, Memphis, MTSU, and the rest of the potential non-BCS conference teams that have a way of regularly appearing on UTK's schedule.

Schools I worry about getting outrecruited by:

1. UGA
2. UF
3. Bama
4. SC
5. KY
6. VU
7. Arky
8t. LSU, AU, MSU, Ole Miss
12t. UAB, S.Miss, Wyoming, Memphis, MTSU, and the rest of the potential non-BCS conference teams that have a way of regularly appearing on UTK's schedule.

Sure you're not worried about anyone else??? :eek:lol:

Florida's not too far ahead at this point, but both their guys are 4 stars

Florida's not too far ahead at this point, but both their guys are 4 stars
The reason I have UF at #2 is because: (1) I expect them to outrecruit UTK off in-state talent alone; and (2) With the imbalance in skill, ability and creativity between the two head coaches I just assume that UF will continue to own the Vols so long as they have Meyer and UTK has Phil.

On the other hand, Richt has shown himself beatable but if UGA continues to outrecruit UTK the I think the Vols will solidly slip into a mid-tier East team with SC.

The reason I have UF at #2 is because: (1) I expect them to outrecruit UTK off in-state talent alone; and (2) With the imbalance in skill, ability and creativity between the two head coaches I just assume that UF will continue to own the Vols so long as they have Meyer and UTK has Phil.

On the other hand, Richt has shown himself beatable but if UGA continues to outrecruit UTK the I think the Vols will solidly slip into a mid-tier East team with SC.

I think if the new coaches do as most people think they will, and we can get another top 5-10 class this year, we will be set w/ 2007 and 2009 for a few years.

I think if the new coaches do as most people think they will, and we can get another top 5-10 class this year, we will be set w/ 2007 and 2009 for a few years.
The best players from 2007 class (Berry for one) probably will not be around for four years.

I also think you have to look at what those other schools (UGA in particular) are doing. They are getting Top 10 classes every year, not every other year. Eventually, their depth will be overwhelming even if many of the starters are evenly matched.

The best players from 2007 class (Berry for one) probably will not be around for four years.

I also think you have to look at what those other schools (UGA in particular) are doing. They are getting Top 10 classes every year, not every other year. Eventually, their depth will be overwhelming even if many of the starters are evenly matched.

Stars don't count for everything. Rankings are not always perfect.

Stars don't count for everything. Rankings are not always perfect.
That goes for UTK's highly rated prospects at least as much as it does for other teams they compete against. Look how many highly rated Vol prospects have been busts over the past few years alone. You cannot count on other schools getting a bunch of busts and UTK's evaluators somehow being so much better than everyone else's that they recruit only sure things and underrated sleepers. If anything, the UGAs, UFs, and Bamas of the world are in a better position because they get to cherry pick from very talented in-state pools. Those schools do not have to go out on a limb for a kid with questionable academics or social history while UTK often does.

That goes for UTK's highly rated prospects at least as much as it does for other teams they compete against. Look how many highly rated Vol prospects have been busts over the past few years alone. You cannot count on other schools getting a bunch of busts and UTK's evaluators somehow being so much better than everyone else's that they recruit only sure things and underrated sleepers. If anything, the UGAs, UFs, and Bamas of the world are in a better position because they get to cherry pick from very talented in-state pools. Those schools do not have to go out on a limb for a kid with questionable academics or social history while UTK often does.

Everything you just typed is the reason why not to take Rivals and Scouts as absolute truth.

Everything you just typed is the reason why not to take Rivals and Scouts as absolute truth.
I certainly agree with that. I do think that both services do a decent job of rating raw talent based on numbers, which is a fairly decent but not sure fire method of predicting success at the next level. There is a reason that their highly rated prospects are they guys that all the elite programs go to the mattresses over and I don't think it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

I certainly agree with that. I do think that both services do a decent job of rating raw talent based on numbers, which is a fairly decent but not sure fire method of predicting success at the next level. There is a reason that their highly rated prospects are they guys that all the elite programs go to the mattresses over and I don't think it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Yes but it's fairly obvious to people which guys they are.

The real difference IMO between ranking football recruits to any other sport is how physical football is. Some guys may be fast etc, but if the don't like contact they aren't going to amount to much on the field.

Defensive Lineman and Offensive Lineman are the HARDEST to evaluate in general.

I hear that alot Dawson, but then I think there are some sure things, like the Ohers and Dorseys of the world. You just have to be in on the cream of the crop.

I hear that alot Dawson, but then I think there are some sure things, like the Ohers and Dorseys of the world. You just have to be in on the cream of the crop.

I agree. I am disappointed that we arent in with more top DT. I want us to land at least 2 top DT. You see more busts at the lineman position but you still have to take your chances with the top guys.

Without much room for argument, UT's best 2 OL's and best DT were 3* recruits- Foster, Parker, and Williams. Bolden is one of the more highly touted DT's UT has ever had.

Without much room for argument, UT's best 2 OL's and best DT were 3* recruits- Foster, Parker, and Williams. Bolden is one of the more highly touted DT's UT has ever had.

I'd argue McNeil over Foster or Parker but to each his own.

McNeil was a 4 star.

spacer1.gif
KELLENWILLIAMS11_29100.JPG
On Thursday afternoon, one of the top offensive linemen in the southeast became the University of Alabama's second commitment of 2009 when he pledged to Tide Coach Nick Saban. Find out about this big, physical OL's commitment by checking the Ultimate Ticket for all of the details

Well Either we didn't want Williams or he didn't want us...b/c we don't seem to be anywhere on his radar, but honestly there is much better prospects we have on our board.

VN Store

Back