The Once and Future QB

just a couple things Knox....
1. the competition promised at all positions was something Kiffin impressed strongly from day 1. there was no secret that the qb spot was still a question mark, and would follow suit in the compeition category. therefore, i don't necessarily agree with the assertion that he should have named a qb from day 1, unless there was something so decisive, that it would have been an easy decision. i think it's obvious no such evidence was apparent.
2. the biggest issue i have seen with the whole coleman issue was his practice performance. by all accounts, Kiffin continued to be surprised when coleman played well in scrimmages, despite not having that consistency in practice. hence the reps with the 2nd team etc... i think this boiled down to a kid that simply wanted to play. he didn't think he was going to get that opportunity, so he left for greener pastures. i don't necessarily buy that there was a communication break down between coach and player here, rather a player no longer willing to work 2nd string reps hoping to get to #1. sadly, there's still a part of me that thinks coleman could have still won the job thru the summer and fall camp by simply being more consistent in practice, earning the coaches' trust.

Article is still too apologetic for Coleman. He apparently expected Kiffin to be at his beckon and call on an important but not urgent matter when the guy had his dad going into surgery and the beginning of recruiting to eat up his time and attention.

Even the best people can make mistakes when driven by emotion and that's what BJ did, period. It seems that he came ever so close to admitting that he hadn't won the job outright but couldn't bring himself to say it. The most objective things we can draw from his comments is that he determined it wasn't worth the risk of another year of eligibility to come back to UT this fall.

He wanted to be named #1 to dissolve that risk and when he didn't get it he quit. That's his prerogative. It might even be a great decision... but he shouldn't have quit in a huff over the cancelled meetings nor should he have blamed Kiffin.

He made a self-serving decision (his right). There is no evidence Kiffin made if for him as he did for Morley so that comparison falls flat.

Article is still too apologetic for Coleman. He apparently expected Kiffin to be at his beckon and call on an important but not urgent matter when the guy had his dad going into surgery and the beginning of recruiting to eat up his time and attention.

Even the best people can make mistakes when driven by emotion and that's what BJ did, period. It seems that he came ever so close to admitting that he hadn't won the job outright but couldn't bring himself to say it. The most objective things we can draw from his comments is that he determined it wasn't worth the risk of another year of eligibility to come back to UT this fall.

He wanted to be named #1 to dissolve that risk and when he didn't get it he quit. That's his prerogative. It might even be a great decision... but he shouldn't have quit in a huff over the cancelled meetings nor should he have blamed Kiffin.

He made a self-serving decision (his right). There is no evidence Kiffin made if for him as he did for Morley so that comparison falls flat.
agreed.

Everyone that witnessed practices the entire spring said that Crompton was clearly the best QB.

We are now in a slightly better position to get recruits - sure, but we were in a good position anyway. This had nothing to do with CLK wanting to make a more desirable situation for a QB recruit and every bit to do with one QB clearly outplaying the other one.

This is the last thing CLK wanted to happen to this team. BJ quit on his own. And he almost did it prior to the end of the season last year. I guess that had to do with recruiting too somehow.

Wow, you really are on the other side now.

Side note...1,000th post! :td::fireworks:

"Regardless, Kiffin would have been better served to quickly name a starter and end the controversy before it escalated."

Kiffin told everyone that only one position was solidified, all others would be open until the fall. This part of the article I have a hard time identifying with. Bottom line is BJ quit!

1. the competition promised at all positions was something Kiffin impressed strongly from day 1. there was no secret that the qb spot was still a question mark, and would follow suit in the compeition category. therefore, i don't necessarily agree with the assertion that he should have named a qb from day 1, unless there was something so decisive, that it would have been an easy decision. i think it's obvious no such evidence was apparent.

2. the biggest issue i have seen with the whole coleman issue was his practice performance. by all accounts, Kiffin continued to be surprised when coleman played well in scrimmages, despite not having that consistency in practice. hence the reps with the 2nd team etc... i think this boiled down to a kid that simply wanted to play. he didn't think he was going to get that opportunity, so he left for greener pastures. i don't necessarily buy that there was a communication break down between coach and player here, rather a player no longer willing to work 2nd string reps hoping to get to #1. sadly, there's still a part of me that thinks coleman could have still won the job thru the summer and fall camp by simply being more consistent in practice, earning the coaches' trust.

Agreed. Well-stated guys.

Coleman quit when he had an excellence chance to play this fall. Then, he blamed Kiffin which was in very poor taste. Both were 'sophomoric' mistakes.

Like it or not he left on his own accord, kiffin didn't ask him to and BJ thought it was best for him. So whats all the uproar about? Don't agree with the article but still nicely written.

Just to be clear, I don't think Kiffin asked him to leave.

Thanks for the compliment on the writing!

We are now in a slightly better position to get recruits - sure, but we were in a good position anyway. This had nothing to do with CLK wanting to make a more desirable situation for a QB recruit and every bit to do with one QB clearly outplaying the other one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think if all things are equal, Kiffin would unquestionably lean towards Coleman. If you have the option between two guys who will give you mediocre QB play, how can you not go with the situation that will look the most enticing to recruits?

Everything I have read to this point says that no one had been named the starting QB. CLK had said he was not going to name a starter at this time and it seems BJ wanted an answer now. If BJ had just been patient I think he would have gotten plenty of playing time and could have possibly won the starting job if practice grading leaned his way instead of JC or NS come September.

Kiffin hadn't named a starter, but with first team reps you don't have to. Further, didn't it seem like the praise came a little more effusively for Crompton?

I just think it would have taken a ginormous downturn in Crompton's play for Kiffin to seriously entertain starting BJ. Just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure that B.J. had a spring any different than last year. If you are going to impress someone on a first meeting, (as with the new coaches) you had better put forth you best effort. Maybe he BJ did that and it was not enough to get anything from the coaches to notice. This is too big a operation to let one person think that he is the next coming of Johnny Unitas. It is sad that someone who speaks so highly of a football program feels that he cannot contribute in some manner and matter of factly if not the top dog (QB) no dog at all. I hope BJ finds success at his next stop, I can tell him this, don't think that running from adversity makes you stronger, in reality it makes you weaker.

That sentiment kind of seems like a cheap shot when regarding someone else's future. It's a great thought to have, but if you are a player staring down the barrel of a career-long term on the sidelines, don't you have to consider leaving? Would you hang around if you knew the odds were stacked against your ever playing?

It's his career and his eligibility. Who are any of us to criticize how he spends it?

I have no problem with coleman manking the decision he feels is best for him. That's not selfish.

Having said that, I think it was a stupid decision and had nothing to do with the way the coaching staff "handled" the "situation".

A mediocre QB who couldn't beat out other mediocre QBs for the starting job... does anyone really care?

I the legal profession this article would be considered churning. As far as I am concerned it is mostly speculation. CLK is here to win football games. That is what he is getting paid for and rest assured he is doing what he feels is best to win football games and get the best talent on the field. To little has been accomplished thus far for any judgment to be made particularly by KM.

Not churning, just trying to understand what happened.

Actually it is 100% speculation. More specifically, it's just my ignorant and unfounded opinion.

I make no judgements. For me to judge a guy like Kiffin who is abundantly more successful than I will ever be just doesn't make sense. But I can react, right?

Knox: your prose is top notch. You could write an article arguing that my sister was the town slut and I would probably still enjoy reading it.

I like that ending better. Is there any confirmation that Coleman told the qb coach he didn't want to talk to him during games?

In his interview, he said he didn't talk to anyone before games. I'm pretty much 100% sure on that, but find the Chatt Times-Free Press article to hear it.

Is the production this season going to be a question mark? Yes. But when one guy is getting all the first team reps, is it a leap to name him the de facto starter? Do you really believe if Crompton gets 80% of the first team reps that somehow Stephens will magically become the starter?

Agree to disagree on the timeline of naming the starter. I think you can still have competition even if one guy is the starter in name. Isn't that the precept with which USC conducts their practice?

All the supposed qb competition did was place undue weight on each drill and scrimmage.

2. the biggest issue i have seen with the whole coleman issue was his practice performance. by all accounts, Kiffin continued to be surprised when coleman played well in scrimmages, despite not having that consistency in practice. hence the reps with the 2nd team etc...

The biggest issue with the coleman issue? You mean how Kiffin presented him as a poor practice player? I can't speak to Coleman's practice play as I haven't witnessed each practice.

i think this boiled down to a kid that simply wanted to play. he didn't think he was going to get that opportunity, so he left for greener pastures. i don't necessarily buy that there was a communication break down between coach and player here,

I'm merely citing published reports from the Chattanooga Times Free Press. Take the reporting for what it is worth.

rather a player no longer willing to work 2nd string reps hoping to get to #1.

I find it dangerous to question a player's work ethic when there is little evidence to support the claim.

Plain and simple, I think it was a confluence of unfortunate events and it was best for everyone to part ways. I just think it may have been avoidable. That's all. I think to all the sudden demonize Coleman as a quitter or as lazy is unfair and revisionist history.

Mccoy, that's why I said he could "possibly be the starter come Sept." I agree with you that Crompton was the apparent starter unless he gave it away in fall practice. I don't understand devoting 2 to 3 years at the university you have dreamed of playing for when YOU HAVE NOT been told that you are'nt the starting QB.

Article is still too apologetic for Coleman.

Really? I think I made it pretty clear that there is a thick ambiguity surrounding why it all went down. It's hard to be an apologist when I'm not really sure how I feel about the entire situation.

On the flip side, couldn't you argue that many fans are entirely too quick to villainize Coleman?

He apparently expected Kiffin to be at his beckon and call

I think it was more of the straw that broke the camel's back.

There is no evidence Kiffin made if for him as he did for Morley so that comparison falls flat.

If you are trying to say that I believe that Kiffin kicked him off the squad, you've missed the entire point.

My point of the comparison was that you have two kinds of kids who leave the program: the Morleys and the Colemans. If the Morley-types leave, who cares? But if a kid like B.J. wants to leave, I would hope that a coaching staff would treat that a little more seriously than if a kid like Morley wanted to leave. Thus the comparison.

Mccoy, that's why I said he could "possibly be the starter come Sept." I agree with you that Crompton was the apparent starter unless he gave it away in fall practice. I don't understand devoting 2 to 3 years at the university you have dreamed of playing for when YOU HAVE NOT been told that you are'nt the starting QB.

But did anyone really think there was going to be a different ending to that story? Maybe I'm in the huge minority here but Crompton is a lock to be the starter.

Knox: your prose is top notch. You could write an article arguing that my sister was the town slut and I would probably still enjoy reading it.

HA! That maybe the greatest compliment of my life.

By the way, I would consider defending your sister's sexual proclivities the honor of my life.

VN Store

Back