The Official Thread of "Da Bears"

Not sure I agree. Not every coach promoted from coordinator hits the ground running. Some that do (Nagy) crash and burn when the glitter wears off. The Chicago Bears were 3-14 last year. They are already 3 games better than that with 2 to play. The Bears were -137 on point margin last year. They are -41 this year. That will only improve the next two games I feel. If the current trajectory continues, the Bears will win 10+ games next year and make the playoffs. Adding valuable pieces in the draft will only increase those chances. I agree Fields might not be with the team, but the coach should be.
Either way…they are probably getting new qb…if the new qb is bad the team will be bad along with them…that will also sign the death warrant for this staff or the new staff along with the GM Poles…this draft decision and trade of Fields will decide up to next decade for the Bears…the way Williams handled himself this year, the pouting, the not being able to elevate his team when they have sufficient talent compared to the teams on their schedule does not bode well for an NFL leader…really hope I am wrong because I am truly sick of my NFL team being bad and not contending for titles…taking into consideration of your point…the Bears should have won Browns, Broncos, and Lions games….this staff has found ways to lose games and true shot at playoffs…saw where a guy ranked 3 of the Bears losses inside top 5 of worse losses this entire NFL this season for all teams…in a sport where wins are hard to come by and when you don’t know if other chances are guaranteed later…they have found ways to screw up time and time again

Either way…they are probably getting new qb…if the new qb is bad the team will be bad along with them…that will also sign the death warrant for this staff or the new staff along with the GM Poles…this draft decision and trade of Fields will decide up to next decade for the Bears…the way Williams handled himself this year, the pouting, the not being able to elevate his team when they have sufficient talent compared to the teams on their schedule does not bode well for an NFL leader…really hope I am wrong because I am truly sick of my NFL team being bad and not contending for titles…taking into consideration of your point…the Bears should have won Browns, Broncos, and Lions games….this staff has found ways to lose games and true shot at playoffs…saw where a guy ranked 3 of the Bears losses inside top 5 of worse losses this entire NFL this season for all teams…in a sport where wins are hard to come by and when you don’t know if other chances are guaranteed later…they have found ways to screw up time and time again
I think we'll be okay. We are showing big improvement despite poor QB play. Even when factoring Fields 400 rushing yards, he ranks 23rd among NFL QB's in productivity. If either Fields improves or we draft a QB that is better, the Bears will probably reach 10 wins. If the QB play drastically improves, this team could win 12 games. Good times ahead for the Bears. Also keep in mind the perfect cap position.

Not sure I agree. Not every coach promoted from coordinator hits the ground running. Some that do (Nagy) crash and burn when the glitter wears off. The Chicago Bears were 3-14 last year. They are already 3 games better than that with 2 to play. The Bears were -137 on point margin last year. They are -41 this year. That will only improve the next two games I feel. If the current trajectory continues, the Bears will win 10+ games next year and make the playoffs. Adding valuable pieces in the draft will only increase those chances. I agree Fields might not be with the team, but the coach should be.
Vast portion of the turnaround is defense based which occurred after Alan Williams got booted and Flus took over the playcalling with help from Phil Snow. That's an endorsement of returning both of them, but Getsy has been stunningly clueless imo. Offensive gems have been more the by-product of talent...like Fields and Moore. All jmo.

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind
I say split the difference and keep Fields with a two year make right window and hopefully pick up another first rounder or two second rounders so they can target one of the myriad OTHER talents at QB. Penix, Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy et al. That lands an option to develop while Bagent is top backup whilst not overtly pushing Fields out the door. Model worked for Philly with Wentz and Hurts.

I say split the difference and keep Fields with a two year make right window and hopefully pick up another first rounder or two second rounders so they can target one of the myriad OTHER talents at QB. Penix, Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy et al. That lands an option to develop while Bagent is top backup whilst not overtly pushing Fields out the door. Model worked for Philly with Wentz and Hurts.
Issue with Fields is the contract. Draft a rookie and that problem goes away.

Bears HC job will be best option for others...

Assload of cap space and plenty of draft picks , a new Head Coaches dream...

Issue with Fields is the contract. Draft a rookie and that problem goes away.
It's not a $50 million "problem" for two years.. Have to pay a heftier salary, but worth it if he's the guy. Cheaper and starting over isn't necessarily better. I said 6 games ago that Fields needs to cast the biggest vote in this decision on the field...two more polls to go.

Reactions: knoxvol52

To me the cap space is worth more than the draft picks. I think they trade the top pick for more 1's and 2's and use their pick on best available players (OL, WR, Safety). The Patriots, Falcons, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, and Steelers will be desperate for a QB. I say deal with the Falcons, Saints, Raiders and Broncs. Take their 1 this year and next and their 2 this year and next. Draft the two best players you can with the two 1's this year. Use free agency money to offer an aging solid QB (Cousins or Mayfield) a two-year deal. Trade Fields for a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: knoxvol52
It's not a $50 million "problem" for two years.. Have to pay a heftier salary, but worth it if he's the guy. Cheaper and starting over isn't necessarily better. I said 6 games ago that Fields needs to cast the biggest vote in this decision on the field...two more polls to go.
You have a point. Only 6 million hit in 2024.

Reactions: butchna
There is only one guaranteed star in this draft…that is Harrison Jr…I do think you have to start the Qb clock over with rookie but man it could go bad…just the amount of talent you could build around the guy could make him decent ala Brock Purdy…this past game, I am glad we won but Fields threw a terrible INT in the end zone that allowed Arizona back in the game.l.even a field goal on that drive and game as over

There is only one guaranteed star in this draft…that is Harrison Jr…I do think you have to start the Qb clock over with rookie but man it could go bad…just the amount of talent you could build around the guy could make him decent ala Brock Purdy…this past game, I am glad we won but Fields threw a terrible INT in the end zone that allowed Arizona back in the game.l.even a field goal on that drive and game as over
I’m not all or nothing with MHJ either. Best teams have best rosters. Drop a tad, “settle” for a Nabers or Odunze or Alt, pick up the best edge to pair with Sweat. Maybe if a 3-tech emerges from the Combine like the Illinois kid. Wouldn’t hate it if Bowers drops into our lap. Find the right trade partner for the first overall and a high second or third could help replace Jackson at safety. Long way to say that I don’t remember the last SB winner that had a generational receiver…at least one that was known as such when initially drafted.

Last edited:
I’m not saying Bears have to draft him…we could trade down and get a lineman etc if we did decide to keep Fields…Imam just saying Harrison Jr is the only no brainer star this current year…he will be productive anywhere he goes
I had submitted earlier and had to edit to add. Wouldn’t hate drafting Alt and allowing Jones to flex as starting LG and depth at LT.

I had submitted earlier and had to edit to add. Wouldn’t hate drafting Alt and allowing Jones to flex as starting LG and depth at LT.
Lots of options….i do think they decide to move on from Fields though…unless a guy like Nix blows them away and they can take a guy like that with our regular top ten pick…keep Fields with a rookie and trade the top pick for a ton of other picks or star players…is Herbert on table from Chargers…that would tempt me

If I was your GM…

Fire Getsy
Draft Maye
Trade Fields for a 2nd
Take Fashanu or Alt
Sign Tee Higgins

Then use your remaining assets on defense
Don’t hate that. Poles isn’t limited by the fans but it’s hard to sell ANOTHER UNC QB. If he becomes a franchise QB, they’ll shut up and cheer. Don’t see Fashanu or Alt slipping down to eighth overall (if Bears end up there), but the draft is funny that way after postseason evaluations.

Don’t hate that. Poles isn’t limited by the fans but it’s hard to sell ANOTHER UNC QB. If he becomes a franchise QB, they’ll shut up and cheer. Don’t see Fashanu or Alt slipping down to eighth overall (if Bears end up there), but the draft is funny that way after postseason evaluations.

You guys can use that extra draft capital to move back for Alt or Fashanu. Both are franchise OT’s and worth an extra 2nd or 3rd for the move up. I think 3 QB’s are going top 5 for sure, so that should help.

You guys can use that extra draft capital to move back for Alt or Fashanu. Both are franchise OT’s and worth an extra 2nd or 3rd for the move up. I think 3 QB’s are going top 5 for sure, so that should help.
Oh I see! If we were to go the Maye route, I'd hope Washington would be a trade partner and throw in two second rounders...theirs and the one we used in the Sweat trade. That's some capital to make such a move, but there are two hangups. One, Poles likes Braxton Jones and second, Edge, 3-tech and WR are high priority. All that can change, and you addressed WR with you Tee Higgins hypothetical, but center and a safety to replace are also on the agenda and the better ones are typically in that 2nd-3rd down range. When Poles took the reigns, there were FOUR selections available courtesy of Ryan Pace. He traded around and got seven selections in that draft and increasingly more in every subsequent draft. More selections=more options=more fun during draft time again! Whatever happens is gravy imo.

Washington has draft picks and cap room. In addition to finally having a new owner. The Washington job is far more attractive than Chicago.

Washington has draft picks and cap room. In addition to finally having a new owner. The Washington job is far more attractive than Chicago.
tenor.gif

VN Store

Back