The Official Tennessee @ Alabama Series Thread (Fri. March 15 8PM EST SECNET+) (Sat. March 16 8PM EST SEC NETWORK) (Sun. March 17 2PM EST SEC NETWORK)

Also worth pointing out that you aren't exactly dealing with a laser lined strike zone in college baseball and top notch guys calling them.

If you're not sure what he's gonna call...get the bat moving.

He swung at 5 pitches no where near the strike zone. Even when he had a 2-0 count. I guarantee you know nothing about hitting.

I guess Tears & V had great discipline also.

My opinions are stated such because I bother to read & listen to coaches comments before & especially after games. You can learn a lot about how our opponents prepare & game plan for the Vols by their comments postgame. Unfortunately many don’t have a clue that teams actually have scouting reports, strategies to use against the Vols. Sorry if I offend. Please feel free to use ignore.
I didn’t say anything about Tears or RV in these posts but did comment earlier that RV went up there with the intent to mash no matter what and didn’t have any discipline. However, I’m not going to bash on a guy who worked an 8-10 pitch AB into a walk and has a positive career BB:K ratio. Your point on DD is moot when he in fact garnered a walk and fouled off every pitch that was “no where near the zone”.

I don’t think anyone is surprised that opponents have scouting reports on Tennessee and it doesn’t take a genius to see we’ve struggled with off-speed/breaking balls as a club, for several seasons.

But I’ll defer to your infinite SEC hitting experience over a future top 2-3 round pick that scouts have this to say about; “Dreiling has the chance to hit for average and power because he makes consistent hard contact to all fields. He drives the ball in air while managing the strike zone, drawing plenty of walks and keeping his quick left-handed swing under control.”

Thank you for posting this. CTV pretty much sums the weekend up

“Pitchers…we’re open for business.”
As usual, You had plenty of goog posts this weekend

Actually considered going to Sunday's game, but wasn't sure if my back was up to it/ Actually wasnt sure I could ;endure their fans for 3 hours. Swore off accepting, or buying, tickets for any bammer sportiing ever since our son took off for memphis for college

Reactions: vol66
I didn’t say anything about Tears or RV in these posts but did comment earlier that RV went up there with the intent to mash no matter what and didn’t have any discipline. However, I’m not going to bash on a guy who worked an 8-10 pitch AB into a walk and has a positive career BB:K ratio. Your point on DD is moot when he in fact garnered a walk and fouled off every pitch that was “no where near the zone”.

I don’t think anyone is surprised that opponents have scouting reports on Tennessee and it doesn’t take a genius to see we’ve struggled with off-speed/breaking balls as a club, for several seasons.

But I’ll defer to your infinite SEC hitting experience over a future top 2-3 round pick that scouts have this to say about; “Dreiling has the chance to hit for average and power because he makes consistent hard contact to all fields. He drives the ball in air while managing the strike zone, drawing plenty of walks and keeping his quick left-handed swing under control.”
Chris Burke just now on Basilio was critical of the hitters in the ninth inning yesterday swinging at so many bad pitches.

Will be interesting to see if he actually does this. Based on our metrics, there is some real talent in that pen. Young talent, no doubt. But very good.
I can't find a link to Tony's press conference after yesterday's game. Did he really say that?

He did say it. But he has said that for 5 years I've been involved with it. The same with hitting and fielding. You want to play, earn your opportunity. That has always been Tony's approach. You will get the opportunity to play yourself into or out of a chance to play.

Chris Burke just now on Basilio was critical of the hitters in the ninth inning yesterday swinging at so many bad pitches.
I specifically called your attention to 1 hitter now you’re talking about multiple hitters. Again, I’ve not defended and/or praised KT or RV AB’s. They were dog 💩. Again, the guy who did his teammates a favor by making the pitcher show basically everything he had, is not worthy of being knocked for his approach.

I specifically called your attention to 1 hitter now you’re talking about multiple hitters. Again, I’ve not defended and/or praised KT or RV AB’s. They were dog 💩. Again, the guy who did his teammates a favor by making the pitcher show basically everything he had, is not worthy of being knocked for his approach.
My original comment was the last 3 hitters “showed poor plate discipline” by swinging at bad pitches. Chris Burke, former Vol All American, SEC Player of the Year & MLB player, basically said exactly the same thing. In fact, he mentioned that “when they review the film, maybe they rethink not putting the take on. Dreiling swung at 2-0 curve that bounced on the plate.”

The pitcher did NOT “ show the team everything he had”. He threw the exact same pitch to all 3 hitters & none were close to a strike.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
My original comment was the last 3 hitters “showed poor plate discipline” by swinging at bad pitches. Chris Burke, former Vol All American, SEC Player of the Year & MLB player, basically said exactly the same thing. In fact, he mentioned that “when they review the film, maybe they rethink not putting the take on. Dreiling swung at 2-0 curve that bounced on the plate.”

The pitcher did NOT “ show the team everything he had”. He threw the exact same pitch to all 3 hitters & none were close to a strike.

Ok im out. I’ve got better things to do than continue to debate the plate approach of D-1 athletes with the one and only MLB The Show HR Derby champ. I’ll tell all 3 of them Friday night that wmcovol expects better plate discipline and they can look him up on VN for some tips.

Ok im out. I’ve got better things to do than continue to debate the plate approach of D-1 athletes with the one and only MLB The Show HR Derby champ. I’ll tell all 3 of them Friday night that wmcovol expects better plate discipline and they can look him up on VN for some tips.
I get both of your points. It’s true that the curve he threw was falling off the table very late and was probably the most effective he had thrown that pitch in his entire life. It was MLB stuff I thought.

It is also true that at some point our batters have to recognize that pitch, while elite, was all he was throwing and he had never thrown it for a true strike.

I get it being hard to lay off of, but I also understand that you need to just take until you see an actual strike.

VN Store

Back