The official "regular posters of the Basketball forum" thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see the attendence size today and Wednesday. No excuse for either to be under 15k.

I think today's game has that blah kinda of feel. Vols are struggling and Missouri sucks. Nice weather today too. Attendance might be a little low today

It's not gonna be a great attendance night on Wednesday. I don't even know who we play but it's not UK or UF.

Vandy is an instate rival so no excuse with an NCAA bid on the line. If we lose today I get it.

We find out a lot in the next 2 games about this fan base.

Vandy is an instate rival so no excuse with an NCAA bid on the line. If we lose today I get it.

We find out a lot in the next 2 games about this fan base.

Lol. This fanbase has been fed slop for years and kept showing up.

Wednesday night vs Vandy isn't gonna bring them back to full strength again.

Too many people are hanging on to their lower level seats but aren't interested in showing up unless TN is contending for an SEC championship. That only leaves the cheap seats for fans that are interested, but don't own a seat license. Students don't give a damn either. Too bad we're stuck with that cavernous arena for another 50 years.

Lol. This fanbase has been fed slop for years and kept showing up.

Wednesday night vs Vandy isn't gonna bring them back to full strength again.

What does that have to do with this team? Just because Martin or Tyndall struggled, why should fans not show up for this team that has clearly overachieved?

If so, it's called a soft fan base. Before anyone asks me, I live 6 hours away. If I was close to Knoxville, I would make some.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with this team? Just because Martin or Tyndall struggled, why should fans not show up for this team that has clearly overachieved?

If so, it's called a soft fan base. Before anyone asks me, I live 6 hours away. If I was close to Knoxville, I would make some.

Because they kept coming year after year after Pearl left with nothing to hang their hat on in return.

They don't show back up for a bubble team with no superstars. The fan base isn't soft. Nobody else would finish top 15 in attendance with 1 tourney appearance in 5 years.

Also, most fans I've talked to don't believe this team has a realistic shot at the NCAA. The casual fan looks at our record and the close losses and then decides to go do something else on a Saturday rather than watch us beat a terrible terrible Missouri team.

They aren't gonna show up Wednesday because of all the reasons I said plus it's a Wednesday night game which has never been well attended at TBA.

We were better last year?

We were better under Tyndall?

We were better in ZOs first year?

Hell no

You still don't understand how attendance works.

You inherit your attendance from the year previous. This year was rock bottom. Next year we should see a noticeable uptick.

Tickets aren't made available to the public for the first time ever 24 hours before the tip.

You sell tickets for next year by what you do over the next month and then the months leading up to the start of the season. The book was largely written on this season long before we started SEC play this year.

Attendance numbers say more about the 6 year skid we've been on.

Because they kept coming year after year after Pearl left with nothing to hang their hat on in return.

They don't show back up for a bubble team with no superstars. The fan base isn't soft. Nobody else would finish top 15 in attendance with 1 tourney appearance in 5 years.

Also, most fans I've talked to don't believe this team has a realistic shot at the NCAA. The casual fan looks at our record and the close losses and then decides to go do something else on a Saturday rather than watch us beat a terrible terrible Missouri team.

They aren't gonna show up Wednesday because of all the reasons I said plus it's a Wednesday night game which has never been well attended at TBA.

And I don't understand it. If fans are going to ***** and moan about letting leads (and the NCAAT) slip away, then they also need to show up. Each year is different. If expectations change for this team, then they change for fans too. If this team was 12-15, then I would understand. Never understood this logic.

And I don't understand it. If fans are going to ***** and moan about letting leads (and the NCAAT) slip away, then they also need to show up. Each year is different. If expectations change for this team, then they change for fans too. If this team was 12-15, then I would understand. Never understood this logic.

Because most fans aren't as fired up as you about a team that is barely hanging on to being a bubble team in a year where the bubble is extremely weak.

Just reality. It's definitely a team that is overachieving but it's also a team that's probably gonna miss the tourney and finish in the middle of an average conference.

Fans weren't lost overnight and they aren't going to show back up overnight.

Because most fans aren't as fired up as you about a team that is barely hanging on to being a bubble team in a year where the bubble is extremely weak.

Just reality. It's definitely a team that is overachieving but it's also a team that's probably gonna miss the tourney and finish in the middle of an average conference.

Fans weren't lost overnight and they aren't going to show back up overnight.

Then that means they don't care. That is the definition of soft.

I understand that the season tickets may be down from the previous years, but more fans should show up as expectations get higher. Attendance doesn't have to be static.

Then that means they don't care. That is the definition of soft.

I understand that the season tickets may be down from the previous years, but more fans should show up as expectations get higher. Attendance doesn't have to be static.

They don't care because of results over a 6 year span.

The same "soft" fans packed that place for Cuonzo's first two years of basketball ambien. Then in his third year when they had 3 pros they still packed it while he underachieved all year. Attendance kept slightly declining while the roster took a nosedive.

Tyndall inherited a bad roster and left it even worse.

You are like Bruin in that you are failing to realize that this team still hasn't done enough to warrant a massive turnout of fans that the program spent 6 years disappointing. They waited too late in the year to show they were gonna be decent. They lost their home opener to UTC as well.

They don't care because of results over a 6 year span.

The same "soft" fans packed that place for Cuonzo's first two years of basketball ambien. Then in his third year when they had 3 pros they still packed it while he underachieved all year. Attendance kept slightly declining while the roster took a nosedive.

Tyndall inherited a bad roster and left it even worse.

You are like Bruin in that you are failing to realize that this team still hasn't done enough to warrant a massive turnout of fans that the program spent 6 years disappointing. They waited too late in the year to show they were gonna be decent. They lost their home opener to UTC as well.

Please don't compare me to Bruin, lol. I understand what you are saying; I just don't agree with it. A true basketball fan appreciates what they are seeing this year. That's the problem- we don't have a lot of true basketball fans. Many are fair weather, and that's true for many teams. But it doesn't make it right. This team is on the bubble with 8 freshmen and sophomores in the rotation and 2 players who were dismissed or injured for the year. The fact that they took Oregon to OT and lost at UNC by 2 should be even more of an incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back