The Official Houston Astros Thread

I'm a timberwolves fan for the same reason. KG is the reason.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They had a good team for a while. Alien, Spree, Candyman and Wally.

Loaded with young talent now. At least that part of following them is exciting.

The Astros are up 4-0 in the first inning and the Pacers are up 43-29 at the end of the first quarter.

Oh boy! Is it my birthday?!?

The Astros won a game!?!

The end of the world must be right around the corner.

Way to go guys!

The Astros picked up their 2nd win.

Off the charts!

2-7... this is how they do it!

Suck it Cubs.

If the Astros are going to suck, the least they can do is humor me by beating the Cubs and Cardinals.

Report: McLane to sell Astros to Crane next week - CBSSports.com

Astros owner Drayton McLane has been trying to sell the ballclub since November and it appears he has a deal in place -- to the frequently rumored front-runner Jim Crane. McLane said Friday the two have agreed to terms and everything should be signed sometime next week.

"We have an understanding, and Jim's an honorable person, and I am, too," McLane said. "We have an overall agreement, but things come up. Lawyers draw up complicated contracts, and we have to get all those portions of it done." (MLB.com)

McLane bought the Astros for $117 million back in 1992, so -- although the terms of the agreement aren't yet public -- he's likely going to walk away with a pretty lofty profit, considering the value of the Astros is close to $500,000,000. (Forbes.com)

Under McLane's ownership, the Astros made six playoff trips in nine seasons, including the franchise's only appearance in the World Series (2005). They also moved from the Astro Dome to Minute Maid Park in 2000.

I think they added a few too many 0's. Judging by the talent they're fielding, I would have guessed closer to 500,000.

Done deal. Presser this afternoon.

Yep yep!

Houston Astros OK sale of team to Jim Crane - ESPN

Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane announced Monday that he has agreed to sell the team he has owned for 19 years to a group led by local businessman Jim Crane, the man who tried to buy the team three years ago.

Terms were not disclosed and the team scheduled an afternoon news conference to discuss details. The sale is subject to approval by Major League Baseball.

McLane, who bought the team in November 1992 for about $117 million, put the franchise up for sale in November. Multiple media reports have said McLane's asking price for the Astros was about $680 million.

They'll celebrate the sale with a loss to the Braves!

Beating the 2011 Astros in baseball is like winning a footrace against a guy with no legs. :p

By the way, does anyone know if it's suppose to be a deep draft? Recently the top few picks have been labeled as "guaranteed studs". It would be just my luck that the Astros have the 2nd worst record in baseball and the draft turns out to be a weak one.

Good series Houston. Hard to beat the Braves pitching when they are on like they are. Best of luck to your team the rest of the way.

So Coach Drew will be "recruiting" very soon?

Nope. According to John McClaine of the Houston Chronicle (also a Baylor Grad), Coach Briles will be getting a new on-campus stadium soon. Drayton has already pledged to build Mary Hardin Baylor a new stadium and expected to give the lead gift $100 to $150 million for the new one in Waco. Briles was told when he was hired he has to string together several winning seasons first.

Looks like Rangers weren't the only ones that drafted a paralyzed player.

Touching gesture by Astros, drafting paralyzed San Jac player

Of the 50 names, most unfamiliar, in the Astros’ draft class, there is one story that stands out beyond the others.

Buddy Lamothe, the 40th-round pick, will never play for the Astros.

The San Jacinto College star reliever, was paralyzed in a swimming accident in San Marcos last month, and the Astros drafted him as a nice gesture to a devastated family.

The Vermont native had left home for Texas, where he had begun the season with an 0.86 ERA only to have it end in tragic fashion.

The Astros weren’t the only team to make such a gesture.

The Rangers spent their 33rd-round pick on Johnathan Taylor, the University of Georgia outfielder who was paralyzed in an outfield collision with Rangers second-round pick Zach Cone.

Been a while since the Astros have given the fans something to applaud.

I know it says he'll never play for Astros but hopefully both guys can recover enough to live a normal life. I had a spinal cord injury myself and it sucks.

MLB talks switching National League team to American League, sources say - ESPN

Two highly ranked executives believe the Houston Astros would be a possibility, because a switch to the AL for Houston would foster a rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

Weird. I was thinking about that scenario a month again when I was looking at the standings. Not that the Astros are relevant at the moment anyways but it sucks being in the only 6 team division.

I would miss playing the Cubs and Cardinals but geographically, this is the easiest move without messing with the rest of the divisions.

Inching closer to the 1st pick.

38-46 .452 Marlins
38-47 .447 A's
38-47 .447 Padres
37-46 .446 Twins
36-45 .444 Orioles
37-48 .435 Dodgers
35-51 .407 Cubs
34-50 .405 Royals
29-57 .337 Astros

At this point, I want the Astros to finish last. They've got a new owner about to take over and it will give them some building blocks for the future. You'd have to really botch the 1st pick not to walk away with a future all-star.

This is the first time I've ever been happy that the Astros were swept by the Cubs.

4-11 in their last 15 games! Alright!!

45-56 .446 Dodgers
44-57 .436 A's
44-58 .431 Padres
43-58 .426 Mariners
42-59 .416 Royals
42-60 .412 Cubs
40-58 .408 Orioles
33-68 .327 Astros

Marlins and Twins have risen above the pack a little bit while the Mariners have tanked right into the middle. As bad as the Astros are, it's looking like the Mariners and Orioles could give them a run for their money as the worst team in baseball when all is said and done. Orioles are 4-13 in their last 17 and Mariners have lost 15 in a row. Astros need to keep pace by losing more.

Number one! Number one! Number one!.... pick!! Yeeeeaaah!!!!!!

Id officially like to ask mlb if the cards can play the strop 60 more times this year.

VN Store

Back