The Official Dan Mullen Thread

Good coach, head and shoulders better than the team-120-something guy.

Would make UT a contender in 3 years.

But that hunchback of his, rivals will pound him unmercifully for that.

Reactions: 1 person
Good coach, head and shoulders better than the team-120-something guy.

Would make UT a contender in 3 years.

But that hunchback of his, rivals will pound him unmercifully for that.

He'd at least beat UF by 30 as soon as next year. No doubt in my mind.

I concur on Patterson, but Frost seems Nebraska bound.

You may be right but money talks.Plus, the resources UT has to offer are better than Nebraskas. However, if I was in his position and the school I loved came calling....well I’m headed home. So yea, it’s probably Nebraska.

Just as a reminder, when Nick Saban was Dan Mullen's current age, he was at 12-11-1 at Michigan State. Saban didn't win his first national title till age 52, after taking the job at LSU, where he had more resources and a much better recruiting footprint than at Michigan State.

This idea that Dan Mullen would be a mediocre hire is rubbish. He's by far the most successful coach in modern Mississippi State history. So many people here at VN are dramatically underestimating how much of a disadvantage Dan Mullen is competing with at Miss State versus teams like Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn. He's 32-28 in the SEC West competing against teams with vastly better resources. Imagine how he'd do with the resources of a place like Tennessee.

Dan is 32-38 in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
Mullen is a better fit than Patterson imo. Gotta play defense in the SEC

"Patterson is widely regarded as one of the nation’s top defensive minds. Since the NCAA began tracking statistics in 1937, TCU trails only Alabama for the most times leading the nation in total defense. The Crimson Tide have been No. 1 six times, while all five No. 1 rankings (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010) for the Horned Frogs are in the last 17 seasons under Patterson."

Reactions: 4 people
I agree that Mullen is one of the best realistic options out there. Those unimpressed with his record at MSU need to keep in mind that Mississippi State historically has the lowest winning percentage and fewest wins in the SEC. Even Vandy and Kentucky have better all-time records!

I think MSU's recruiting classes average in the mid to high 20s. Mullen has done an exceptional job given the talent he has to work with and the tough schedule they face yearly.

The question is whether he's satisfied making good money at a program with relatively low expectations, but virtually no chance of winning titles or if he would want the challenge of trying to win championships at a place where he could have the players and resources to do so.

Since he's been there has averaged 28th in the nation and 10th in the SEC compared to the Vols at 11th and 5th respectively and clearly has out performed what we've had all while coaching in the toughest division in all of college football. If tweedle dee and tweedle dumb can average those classes imagine what Mullen could do with our resources. Sure he got thumped by GA and Auburn but he curb stomped LSU and A&M. When is the last time we beat ANY team from the west? Let alone humiliated them. Both those games, on paper, with the talent he has compared to those schools, were huge upsets.

You may be right but money talks.Plus, the resources UT has to offer are better than Nebraskas. However, if I was in his position and the school I loved came calling....well I’m headed home. So yea, it’s probably Nebraska.

As Coach Bryant said "When Momma calls, you go."

If we go w Mullen, it will be for the long haul. He'll win enough games to stay for as long as we wants, just like he is at MSU. But I don't see a world-beater

Gruden
Patterson
Mullen
Frost

Big gap between 1-2. Very small gap between 2-3. Big gap 3-4. I'm just really worried about Frost. To me, just another "up and comer" who hasn't even been a head coach for 2 years, at a small school no less.

Mullen seems to go through DC's like crazy. What gives?

He's at Mississippi State. That's what gives. Can't exactly outbid the competition. Manny Diaz left to go to Miami with Mark Richt. Geoff Collins left for Florida under McElwain and is now Head Coach at Temple. Seems like Sirmon was a poor hire and that's why he's gone, but the other two just took better-paying jobs.

If we go w Mullen, it will be for the long haul. He'll win enough games to stay for as long as we wants, just like he is at MSU. But I don't see a world-beater

I think he has a fulmeresque ceiling. I thought Gruden was more volatile and was a Meyer ceiling or Butch floor. Time will tell I guess. Still got that nasty gut feeling that we Tennessee this thing and Patterson, Mullen stay put. Kelly to Florida, Frost to Nebraska, Campbell buyout is too big. We get the privilege of choosing between Chad Morris, Venables, Schiano and Norvell.

"Patterson is widely regarded as one of the nation’s top defensive minds. Since the NCAA began tracking statistics in 1937, TCU trails only Alabama for the most times leading the nation in total defense. The Crimson Tide have been No. 1 six times, while all five No. 1 rankings (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010) for the Horned Frogs are in the last 17 seasons under Patterson."

Just feels like every time I see TCU play they're in a crazy Big 12 shootout. lol

Probably just used to seeing Big 12 play no defense.

Butch tried his best to lose to scrub teams and couldn’t do it. Mullen however did. South Alabama!

Butch tried his best to lose to scrub teams and couldn’t do it. Mullen however did. South Alabama!

Butch had the keys to a Ferrari and Mullen has the keys to a Camry, lot easier for him to lose races from time to time. Fulmer lost to Memphis with Peyton. Bad losses happen.

Reactions: 4 people
Means he’ll need to score 90 to beat that Chip Kelly offense.

LOL. I'm just joking. If you guys do hire Chip, you really don't expect to be scoring 60 constantly do you? I hope not or you'll be disappointed. At least not the first couple years.

VN Store

Back