The Official Dan Mullen Thread

So again, those were nice moral victories for Chip.

Lol not saying that....... But people act like he can't beat sec teams.

I'm not congratulating Chip on almost doing it. I'm saying you can't say that Chip can't win based on two losses vs one of the best teams those programs have ever had. How often would any coach see one one of the best auburn's one of the best lsu's one of the best florida's ect?

Losing to those two teams has no relation to IF Chip could or could not beat other teams.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe (opinion) Dan Mullen will be announced new coach next week. I think he’s the guy we’re targeting.
Assuming he wants the job.

I don’t know what to even think about it. He has overachieved at MSU but I’m still not certain he’s the caliber of coach we need to become relevant again.

Yeah, I hear his wife holds a grudge against the school or something or other. Something about the fans being too demanding? *shrug*

I read an article where she said she started shopping for groceries in another town because she would get harassed so badly about her husband if UF didn't score enough points one week.

She would likely endure the same in Knoxville and a few other SEC towns.

Lol not saying that....... But people act like he can't beat sec teams.

I'm not congratulating Chip on almost doing it. I'm saying you can't say that Chip can't win based on two losses vs one of the best teams those programs have ever had. How often would any coach see one one of the best auburn's one of the best lsu's one of the best florida's ect?

Losing to those two teams has no relation to IF Chip could or could not beat other teams.

I agree, I was just giving back to those saying that the Mullen supporters are claiming moral victories for Mullen.

And if we can say that Kelly losing to those 2 SEC teams doesn't mean he could not beat other teams, then we can also say that Mullen's struggles in the West against far more talented teams doesn't mean he could not excel in the East against a much more manageable schedule with far more talent than he could acquire at MSU. Yes?

I don’t think Mullen is really more likely to take the job than Gruden. He’s certainly less likely to be offered.

I am sure Currie has likely reached out to him through back channels, but like you, I am not sure how likely he is to want the job. I do think he would like to be somewhere that he is not behind the 8-ball in recruiting; he was in talks for the Oregon job recently that came to naught, so not sure what his demands are. Hyam supposedly thinks hebwants the TAMU job, which would still leave him in the West, but at a program where he can accumulate top 5 talent. So I just don't what our chances are.

Mullen would not go to A&M. If they fire the current coach good luck hiring another quality guy. He won 8 to 9 games a year at a school that is a historical 7 to 8 win school. They show off the Texas money, but will always be little brother to TEXAS.

Rival school accuses our school to try to stay out of trouble. Bama did that to us during Fulmer years....

If you think their rival accusing them counts on baggage, you’re really desperate to find a reason not to want Mullen

Leo Lewis gave up his own school after being questioned. He was PAID! That’s not in dispute. Right now they’re busy with Ole Miss and what punishment will be meted out. Then they’ll swing their noses that direction. Mullen will be questioned. If you don’t realize that, you’re DESPERATE to ignore it.

Reactions: 2 people
Leo Lewis gave up his own school after being questioned. He was PAID! That’s not in dispute. Right now they’re busy with Ole Miss and what punishment will be meted out. Then they’ll swing their noses that direction. Mullen will be questioned. If you don’t realize that, you’re DESPERATE to ignore it.

If there any concrete evidence to anything pay for play, there would be more news and info from NCAA. There isn’t.

At the end of the day, if there was an issue like this, MSU would be in spotlight. They aren’t and Mullen hasn’t been accused or rumored to have been involved.

If there any concrete evidence to anything pay for play, there would be more news and info from NCAA. There isn’t.
At the end of the day, if there was an issue like this, MSU would be in spotlight. They aren’t and Mullen hasn’t been accused or rumored to have been involved.
How much noise was out there about Hugh Freeze and the NCAA investigation? Lot of “there’s not much here” from the ESPN talking heads...even after Tunsall bonged it up before the draft. General consensus was that other programs were jealous and Ole Miss would go unscathed. If not for his hooker hang-up we might not still “be hearing” anything about the actual NCAA allegations.
I’m not saying there’s anything nefarious about Mullen. The Leo Lewis issue seems to be a case of making a deal with him to provide info against Ole Miss. A sort of immunity FOR HIM. Someone paid him to go to Mississippi State and this info will bring the NCAA onto campus. The HC will be questioned and that’s what we call an INVESTIGATION. Also recall that the final two in the Cam Newton sweepstakes were Auburn AND Mississippi State...who was the HC? If Currie hires him, this will have been vetted. Sounds like a headache if there’s a tie.

Last edited:
I’m not saying there’s anything nefarious about him. The Leo Lewis issue seems to be a case of making a deal with him to provide info against Ole Miss. A sort of immunity FOR HIM. Someone paid him to go to Mississippi State and this info will bring the NCAA onto campus. The HC will be questioned and that’s what we call an INVESTIGATION. Also recall that the final two in the Cam Newton sweepstakes were Auburn AND Mississippi State...who was the HC? If Currie hires him, this will have been vetted. Sounds like a headache if there’s a tie.

And which coach said thanks but no thanks to Cam?

How much noise was out there about Hugh Freeze and the NCAA investigation? Lot of “there’s not much here” from the ESPN talking heads...even after Tunsall bonged it up before the draft. General consensus was that other programs were jealous and Ole Miss would go unscathed. If not for his hooker hang-up we might not still “be hearing” anything about the actual NCAA allegations.
I’m not saying there’s anything nefarious about Mullen. The Leo Lewis issue seems to be a case of making a deal with him to provide info against Ole Miss. A sort of immunity FOR HIM. Someone paid him to go to Mississippi State and this info will bring the NCAA onto campus. The HC will be questioned and that’s what we call an INVESTIGATION. Also recall that the final two in the Cam Newton sweepstakes were Auburn AND Mississippi State...who was the HC? If Currie hires him, this will have been vetted. Sounds like a headache if there’s a tie.

Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to bring up his possible NCAA infractions coming up. Hasn't he had Miss St. on probation before? Don't think we need that around here.

Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to bring up his possible NCAA infractions coming up. Hasn't he had Miss St. on probation before? Don't think we need that around here.

The Will Redmond thing. That too.

I don’t think Mullen is really more likely to take the job than Gruden. He’s certainly less likely to be offered.

I think Currie gave, or will give, Gruden the courtesy call and asks if there is any interest. There won't be, and he will move on to his legitimate candidates list, and I think Mullen is in that top 3, although depending if there is anything to it, and he contacts Peterson, that would be one on his list I didn't account for. But although he would also likely not be interested, it would let me know that Currie is going for top guys.

VN Store

Back