The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. [7] Texas Game Thread, 8:00 PM ET, CBS

They are good, we are better. If we play well they can't stay with us. And our defense is light years better than oregons.

True. The game plan might be something like we have against Kentucky, chasing them off the 3-point line as much as possible and taking advantage of our size. They rely on constant off ball movement and screening guys open much more than an iso game, as they don't have guards that will beat ZZ, SV, and Shack off the dribble.

The keys will be forcing contested looks without fouling, as they are a great FT shooting team, and once again dominating the boards. Of course, shooting 15% from 3 would be fatal against a team like this, so we hopefully got that out of our system.

Reactions: oldaaucoach
It’s the last 16 teams standing so any team still playing has the potential to beat us. Creighton’s potential is to shoot great 3’s. I’m betting Barnes has our guys well prepared to guard them. The officiating trend of the tournament so far has been to let the teams play without calling a ton of fouls. Hopefully that will continue as I feel that strongly favors us.

It might be that Ziggy's shooting is poor because he plays too many minutes. He played the entire game last night.
I'm sure he was tired, and when you're tired your legs start to go, and when your legs go your shot goes. I don't
know to what degree fatigue played a role in his shooting, but I'm sure it was a factor. The guy plays hard on both ends,
and that catches up to you--especially in NCAA games in which there is more emotional tension. Barnes said post-game that
he asks Ziggy if he needs to come out, and Ziggy, apparently, usually says no--not surprisingly. Asking the player is rather useless
if the guy doesn't want to come out--needed or not. It's up to the coaches to know--and during the season he got regular blows
with Mashack (or sometimes Gainey) coming in to play the point for a few minutes. It's do or die time now, and you certainly want
him playing as much as possible--but you also don't want him or anybody missing shot after shot, perhaps because they're tired.
We can certainly play Mashack and Gainey together for some minutes and give up very little defensively, and that would enable
Ziggy to get a few minutes of rest.

The nice thing about watching game highlights is that they skip the 35 shots that we missed.

It might be that Ziggy's shooting is poor because he plays too many minutes. He played the entire game last night.
I'm sure he was tired, and when you're tired your legs start to go, and when your legs go your shot goes. I don't
know to what degree fatigue played a role in his shooting, but I'm sure it was a factor. The guy plays hard on both ends,
and that catches up to you--especially in NCAA games in which there is more emotional tension. Barnes said post-game that
he asks Ziggy if he needs to come out, and Ziggy, apparently, usually says no--not surprisingly. Asking the player is rather useless
if the guy doesn't want to come out--needed or not. It's up to the coaches to know--and during the season he got regular blows
with Mashack (or sometimes Gainey) coming in to play the point for a few minutes. It's do or die time now, and you certainly want
him playing as much as possible--but you also don't want him or anybody missing shot after shot, perhaps because they're tired.
We can certainly play Mashack and Gainey together for some minutes and give up very little defensively, and that would enable
Ziggy to get a few minutes of rest.

The nice thing about watching game highlights is that they skip the 35 shots that we missed.
This is a poor take IMO. There are so many more breaks in the action for commercials compared to the regular season. It’s like there’s a couple extra time outs built into the game to provide some extra rest.

This is a poor take IMO. There are so many more breaks in the action for commercials compared to the regular season. It’s like there’s a couple extra time outs built into the game to provide some extra rest.
Agree. 1st round game was a cakewalk so he was well rested. And I'm not sure you can tire him out anyway.

Reactions: walkenvol
Saying it again doesn’t make it right! Watch the game and appreciate that this team just won a rock fight playing against 8 opponents!
I get really ticked off at refs who allow ONE team to get by with contact for the whole game TILL it favors them when trying to get the other team to the line and insignificant contact gets the whistle.

VN Store

Back