The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. [7] Texas Game Thread, 8:00 PM ET, CBS

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Men's Basketball Championship - Midwest Region - 2nd Round

#6 [2] Tennessee Volunteers: 25-8 (14-4 SEC)

GJPkWOIWEAAFcX2

vs.

[7] Texas Longhorns: 21-12 (9-9 B12)
GJOyk3SXQAAHwDu

GAME 34 | TENNESSEE vs. TEXAS - Saturday, March 23, 2024 | 8 p.m. ET | Charlotte, N.C. | Spectrum Center (17,500)

Line: UT -6.5
O/U: 145.5

TV: CBS / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 208 & 201
Online: Paramount+, March Madness Live

Fake UT Game Notes

GJUwMT5XgAESiA8

Last edited:
THE MATCHUP

• Tennessee is 4-4 all-time against Texas, including 3-2 over the last five matchups. This is the third straight season the sides have met and the first postseason affair ever between the two.
• Rick Barnes, who served as the head coach at Texas for 17 years (1998-2015), is 3-3 in games between Texas and Tennessee. He went 2-2 with the Longhorns and is 1-1 with the Volunteers.
• Texas head coach Rodney Terry worked for Rick Barnes as an assistant from 2002-11, while assistant coach Frank Haith did so from 2001-04 and fellow assistant Chris Ogden did so from 2008- 16 (seven years at Texas, one at Tennessee). All three are among the 13 former Barnes assistants who became head coaches.
• Texas, which tied for seventh in the Big 12, is making its fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and has its third 20- win season in a row.
• Graduate student guard Max Abmas, a Second Team All-Big 12 selection, leads Texas with 17.0 ppg and 4.2 apg.

NEWS & NOTES

• Tennessee won the SEC regular season crown for the 11th time, notching its sixth outright title.
• UT is 26-26 all-time in 25 NCAA Tournament trips, including 7-10 in its second games, 7-5 under Rick Barnes, 6-3 as a No. 2 seed, 1-2 against No. 7 seeds, 7-7 in North Carolina and 3-4 in Charlotte. More can be found on Pages 8-9.
• The Vols' 34-point win over Saint Peter's was their second-largest ever in the NCAA Tournament and the biggest by any SEC team since 3/21/19 when Kentucky beat Abilene Christian by 35, 79-44.
• With the victory over Saint Peter's, Rick Barnes, a finalist for the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award, became the 19th coach all-time (eighth active) with 200 wins at two DI schools (list on Page 24). He has done so at Tennessee (200) and Texas (402).
• Barnes is one of seven coaches (four active) to lead two DI schools to an AP No. 1 ranking. He guided Texas to its first and only spots atop the poll from Jan. 11- 24, 2010, and did so at Tennessee from Jan. 21-Feb. 17, 2019.
• This is the third time the Vols have won an NCAA Tournament game in at least three straight years.
• Zakai Zeigler's 11-point, 10-assist showing in the Round of 64 victory made him the 13th SEC player—15th instance—with a PTS/AST double-double in the NCAA Tournament and the first Vol. It was the fourth double-digit assist showing by a UT player.
• Santiago Vescovi (209) is two steals shy of the program's all- time record (211) held by Vincent Yarbrough (1998-2002).
• Dalton Knecht is one point from becoming the fourth Vol (fifth instance) with 700 in a season. Zakai Zeigler needs three assists to be the fourth at UT with 200 in a campaign. Jonas Aidoo is two offensive boards away from being the fourth Vol (fifth instance) with 100 in a year, while he his nine blocks in the NCAA Tournament tie the UT career record.
• Tennessee has 25 wins for the fifth time in the last seven years under Rick Barnes, including the third in a row. It hit that mark three times total before his arrival in 2015.

VARIETY OF VICTORIES

• The Volunteers have 25 wins thus far, their eighth time ever hitting that mark. Five of those campaigns have come in the last seven years under Rick Barnes.
• Tennessee had 24 regular season triumphs, tying the 1999-2000 season for the third-most in program history. It won 28 in 2007-08 and 27 in 2018-19. Two of UT's top four marks all-time are under Barnes.
• The Vols finished with eight true road wins this season, matching 2017-18 and 1999-2000 for the program's second-highest total ever. Only the 2007- 08 team logged more, totaling nine.
• UT's 14 SEC victories put them in a five-way tie for their fourth-most ever. It claimed 16 such decisions in 1976-77, as well as 15 in both 2018-19 and 1966-67.

I was worried that you might have fallen off of a motor sickle and were recovering from road rash.
I did lose my wallet 2 Sundays back on the bike. Walked 15 miles Monday (after driving the route twice in the car Sunday). No luck finding it.

Reactions: The Dog
This will become a very heated SEC rivalry.

Don’t forget that Texas blew up our track and cross country programs when they stole Stan Huntsman. And they made us wear white jerseys to the 1969 Cotton Bowl. In my opinion UT can’t beat ut often enough. Oh, and they keep trying to steal “UT”.

Don’t forget that Texas blew up our track and cross country programs when they stole Stan Huntsman. And they made us wear white jerseys to the 1969 Cotton Bowl. In my opinion UT can’t beat ut often enough. Oh, and they keep trying to steal “UT”.

A lot of Volunteers fought at the Alamo and helped to found Texas like Davy Crockett and Sam Houston.

For anyone going to the game, pregame fan HQ is at the Suffolk Punch Brewery again.

Fan Headquarters 3-5:30 PM
  • Suffolk Punch Brewing South End
  • UT Pep Band & Spirit will be performing at 3:30 PM
Along with the band, Smokey and the cheerleaders, Danny White, Chancellor Plowman and Tony White were at the same event yesterday.

I actually feel good about this game. Hoping our veterans have everyone locked in and giving that little extra.......if we play like we did game 1?........I could see a 20 pt win.
Actually, this one worries me. First, I'm not sure we have an answer for Abmas. Can ZZ can avoid foul trouble trying to guard him....if he draws the assignment? Then there's Hunter. Can Vescovi handle the job? March is about guard play. Texas is very athletic especially in the back court. This is not a game for Gainey. If Barnes insists on trotting him out there over Mashack, we'll struggle. Will Barnes do the smart thing and roll with Mashack a lot more or maybe even give him the start? He might be our x factor but not from the bench. Then there's the pressure of facing Texas for Barnes. You know he wants it badly. Regardless of how he tries to portray things, everyone knows the truth. Will the team feed off his tension and play tight? Seems like every time we have some sort of special day....senior day, Lofton, etc...we lay the proverbial egg. Today it's a shot at the sweet 16 and it has to come against Barnes former team. Then they choose to move it to 8pm for max exposure. Big stage to be sure. It's just not a place we do well in. I think Texas knocks us off unfortunately. Everything seems to point toward Tennessee and that's when I adjust and tighten my cup.

Actually, this one worries me. First, I'm not sure we have an answer for Abmas. Can ZZ can avoid foul trouble trying to guard him....if he draws the assignment? Then there's Hunter. Can Vescovi handle the job? March is about guard play. Texas is very athletic especially in the back court. This is not a game for Gainey. If Barnes insists on trotting him out there over Mashack, we'll struggle. Will Barnes do the smart thing and roll with Mashack a lot more or maybe even give him the start? He might be our x factor but not from the bench. Then there's the pressure of facing Texas for Barnes. You know he wants it badly. Regardless of how he tries to portray things, everyone knows the truth. Will the team feed off his tension and play tight? Seems like every time we have some sort of special day....senior day, Lofton, etc...we lay the proverbial egg. Today it's a shot at the sweet 16 and it has to come against Barnes former team. Then they choose to move it to 8pm for max exposure. Big stage to be sure. It's just not a place we do well in. I think Texas knocks us off unfortunately. Everything seems to point toward Tennessee and that's when I adjust and tighten my cup.
Agree totally about Gainey. I also wonder if Estrella may see some more time tonight to help handle their bigs. As far as fouls trouble, I am more concerned about Aidoo getting in early trouble.
I think we win, but I’m nervous for every game in the tournament.

Anyone in Charlotte have any idea of what to expect as far as the crown tonight? I’d expect far more Tennessee fans than Texas, just wondering if you all are seeing a crazy amount of orange around town. I’d expect more fans there tonight than were there Thursday night.

You mean like playing at both Rupp and Coleman?

I actually feel good about this game. Hoping our veterans have everyone locked in and giving that little extra.......if we play like we did game 1?........I could see a 20 pt win.
I predicted the last one to be a 35 point win and was off by a point. Wouldn't mind being off by a point again lol

So, how is the health of our players? When Aidoo fell, it sounded like bricks hitting concrete. Also, Tobe Awaka? Any news?

VN Store

Back