The Official 2024 NCAAT Watch Party Thread

Of the teams in the Sweet 16, Creighton is dead last in bench scoring and points in the paint through the first two games.

The bench scoring makes sense. To put it into perspective, I went through the box scores to compare Creighton’s bench minutes to Tennessee’s. Since the beginning of February, Creighton’s starters have logged 80% of the minutes. In that same time frame, the Vols starters’ have logged approximately 62% of the minutes.

I dug a little further and found that since the beginning of February, Creighton has had a starter log 40+ minutes in a single game 18 times. The Vols have only had a player log 40+ minutes 2 times in the same time frame (both times was Ziegler).

They roll with their starters and they stick with them. Ashworth, Scheierman, Alexander, and Kalkbrenner have all logged 36+ minutes in the same game 8 different times since February.

Creighton does not foul much at all, only picking up around 11-12 fouls per game. If we are able to somehow force them into some foul trouble, they’ll be forced to do some things they aren’t used to doing, which is play their bench extended minutes.

Poulakidas for Yale had 28 against Auburn. That combined with the fact that Auburn was as reckless as ever on offense did them in. If they play through Broome for the entire game, Auburn probably would have survived. As it is, Pearl gave his guards way too much freedom as he has most of the season. This time it bit him.
Just saw the last few minutes, but Broome was absolutely awful down the stretch. If he played well...... Broome probably felt the pressure of March Madness for the first time in his career.

The bench scoring makes sense. To put it into perspective, I went through the box scores to compare Creighton’s bench minutes to Tennessee’s. Since the beginning of February, Creighton’s starters have logged 80% of the minutes. In that same time frame, the Vols starters’ have logged approximately 62% of the minutes.

I dug a little further and found that since the beginning of February, Creighton has had a starter log 40+ minutes in a single game 18 times. The Vols have only had a player log 40+ minutes 2 times in the same time frame (both times was Ziegler).

They roll with their starters and they stick with them. Ashworth, Scheierman, Alexander, and Kalkbrenner have all logged 36+ minutes in the same game 8 different times since February.

Creighton does not foul much at all, only picking up around 11-12 fouls per game. If we are able to somehow force them into some foul trouble, they’ll be forced to do some things they aren’t used to doing, which is play their bench extended minutes.
Good info. Will be very interesting to see if we can get them in foul trouble. If I'm Barnes my game plan is heavy pick and roll with DK and Aidoo. Look to be aggressive.

What’s the rationale for putting both UNC-Bama and Illinois-Iowa state in the late night window? Those seem like the more enticing matchups.

Reactions: WillisWG
I think Gerard might be retirement eligible at the end of this season because it feels like he's been playing hoops at the college level for 7 years.

Clemson going for the jugular with the 3s they are taking. Mentally, to go down 10 after a big comeback by Zona would be rough on Arizona

VN Store

Back