The National Anthem at the TBA

It won't happen under Barnes; but he probably won't obsessively monitor the way they stand either.

It's not really monitoring. They stood out. It deviated from team unity during that pre-game ceremony and tradition. It wasn't 30 people in random postures. 20-25 stood at attention with their hands over their hearts. 4, and then 5, stood TOGETHER, not with their hands over their hearts. There was absolutely a reason and it's never been explained. That leads to speculation and I hope that all is well with the team chemistry and relations between the players and coaches. If they have a message then I'd like to hear it. If the same thing happens this year then maybe they'll have a forum at a mic since they're now upperclassmen (and I consider Lamonte to be an upperclassman although he's a RS sophomore).

It's not really monitoring. They stood out. It deviated from team unity during that pre-game ceremony and tradition. It wasn't 30 people in random postures. 20-25 stood at attention with their hands over their hearts. 4, and then 5, stood TOGETHER, not with their hands over their hearts. There was absolutely a reason and it's never been explained. That leads to speculation and I hope that all is well with the team chemistry and relations between the players and coaches. If they have a message then I'd like to hear it. If the same thing happens this year then maybe they'll have a forum at a mic since they're now upperclassmen (and I consider Lamonte to be an upperclassman although he's a RS sophomore).

Oh yeah, you clearly aren't monitoring....

When have you ever seen the team on the field while the National Anthem is being played??? It is not Tennessee! The team doesn't come out until AFTER the Anthem has been played. I am an usher at all home games. So,I am there about two and a half hours before the game starts. Tennessee has enough issues already. Don't make that an issue too!

Reactions: 4 people
I won't attend a game if we start this nonsense inside TBA.

It's quite obvious that something is going on. The lack of a statement by the UT AD publicity fellers (or the actual 2nd year players) of why results in speculation. I hope that there is (or was) no associated internal strife. I don't know whether to support what they're saying or wish they'd be unified with the rest of the team in their conformity.

When have you ever seen the team on the field while the National Anthem is being played??? It is not Tennessee! The team doesn't come out until AFTER the Anthem has been played. I am an usher at all home games. So,I am there about two and a half hours before the game starts. Tennessee has enough issues already. Don't make that an issue too!

This is the Basketball Forum, Bruh.

Reactions: 2 people
And before there's a political debate about whether or not taking a knee is correct, I'd like to reiterate that the "issue" is why was it occurring? Not whether or not the undisclosed reason(s) are disagreeable or not.

For all we know, it could have been disgruntled players taking a shot at Barnes. Since KA was included I kind of doubt that is what was going on. But 2 of the 5 are gone from the team and another was suspended for a few games last year. KA is Canadian, so his stance makes more sense to me.

We better hope the players don't protest by kneeling. If they do this fan base which is already a nervous Wreck will bolt from the hoops program. Attendance would hurt badly

Reactions: 1 person
We better hope the players don't protest by kneeling. If they do this fan base which is already a nervous Wreck will bolt from the hoops program. Attendance would hurt badly

Yeah, that crap wouldn't play well here. Especially not in the hoops program. Fans have already checked out for the most part. That would make TBA a ghost town.

This is a fan issue. The players likely do not care what someone else is doing during the national anthem. All the players likely care about is can that person help the team win.

This is a fan issue. The players likely do not care what someone else is doing during the national anthem. All the players likely care about is can that person help the team win.

They might not care what others are doing, but there was a deliberate display by 4, then 5, players. I'm curious if it's a protest against the country or something else, a dig at Barnes, a BLM or similar stance, a "look at me" moment, or if Buds that don't put their hands over their hearts just want to gather together.

I think it's relevant as a fan, in light if the NFL **** storm, to be aware of it and pay attention if there's a subtle message that a handful of our players might be sending. It could be as harmless as Barnes giving them two options on what to do during the NA and those that choose not to place their hands over their hearts want to stand together. To me, it was simply a weird display and I've never seen a clarification of any intent.

No. We can talk about golf. Or Hip Hop.

Why is this topic triggering you?

Because golf and hip hop don't start these dumb little political/racial/patriotism back and forths that annoy the crap out of 90% of people here.

VolNation is a place where we come to ESCAPE this type of discussion. If this is the type of subject matter you wish to discuss head over to CNN.com or Foxnews.com and have at it in the comments section.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you have yours and you've shared it. If someone opposes it doesn't make them wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
I hope they do if they feel they need to. We can get rid of all the ignorant fans that can't realize that kneeling isn't disrespect and the soldiers fought for our right to protest. Bye bye. Don't come to the games, don't watch. We don't need you.

I hope they do if they feel they need to. We can get rid of all the ignorant fans that can't realize that kneeling isn't disrespect and the soldiers fought for our right to protest. Bye bye. Don't come to the games, don't watch. We don't need you.

Lol, shocking post. I just can't believe it

Last edited:
I had a friend from Kenya (who knows very little English BTW) come visit me during the summer and we went to a Nationals game. When the anthem was played he stayed right in his seat and I had to take explain to the people sitting around us spewing their venom that he wasn't from here. Can you believe that? I was actually embarrassed that he had to witness that.

We as Americans get so focus on rituals that when someone doesn't behave the way we want them to, we get bent out of shape about it. 'Come on people now, Smile on your brother' The Youngbloods - Get Together - 1967 - YouTube

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back