The National Anthem at the TBA

Lol funny. Notice your cited reference says to stand at attention. Surely as a retired Marine you know that the POA does not include placing your hand over your heart. You will also notice that i said i stand with my hands to my side, which to us military folks is known as the position of attention.

And im not bragging about my sacrifice but trying to add a legitimacy to my point.

But again we return full circle to the point ive made many times, we would rather insult the person speaking instead of understand them. An example would be me saying you are bragging about your machinegun and eod career by your avatar, instead i asked you about it a while back.

Did I state that I was retired, or how to stand at attention? What do machineguns have to do with my career?

The point being that you have made repeated references to your "sacrifice" and "combat tours" while trying to use those to draw attention to you not placing your had over your heart. It adds no legitimacy at all. Its a sad attempt to gain attention for something that people would thank you for anyway, while trying to take away from something your sacrifice should hold more dear.

Reactions: 1 person
Just to be clear, the four players did not go all Tommie Smith and John Carlos. They're just being different from the other 20 players, coaches, and managers that line up for the NA along side of them. I would not categorize their actions as disrespectful... just different from the remainder of the squad. If there's any disrespect at all it's for being different from their team. They did show proper respect for the flag and the opening ceremony.

Just to be clear, the four players did not go all Tommie Smith and John Carlos. They're just being different from the other 20 players, coaches, and managers that line up for the NA along side of them. I would not categorize their actions as disrespectful... just different from the remainder of the squad. If there's any disrespect at all it's for being different from their team. They did show proper respect for the flag and the opening ceremony.

I'm most shocked that you have made it four pages on this thread and not figured out a way to blame all of this on Phil Fulmer!!:whistling:

I've noticed something kind of weird that happens during the Star-Spangled Banner at home games. Every coach and manager, every true freshmen, all 3 walk-ons, and both seniors put their hand over their heart and face the color guard. The sophomores and the RS freshman don't have their hands over their hearts. 2 or 3 of them hang their heads and stare at their feet. Those 4 stand together. Again, I just find it weird. It's not really disrespectful (except possibly the looking downward part... but then again, people do that while they pray) and I'm not criticizing them. After the song has played and the color guard marches off, they do respectfully face the CG and the flag until it has been marched completely off of the court (something that most of the crowd fails to do). I probably wouldn't have even noticed if they didn't stand together.

I just find it strange that they stand together. They aren't pulling an ass hat move by sitting on the bench or turning away or (god forbid) taking a knee... but I wonder if there's some kind of passive/aggressive diss going on. AS surprises me since he's from a military family... but he also had that mysterious suspension. KA is from Canada... so other than standing with the other 3, not much going on there IMO.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't have this routine... that's their right. I just kind of wish they'd show unity with every team mate and coach. I also wish they'd look at the flag instead of their Nikes.

BTW, I'm not 100% certain that it's SP rather than one of the freshmen guards... but I'm a gonna pay it some more attention this Saturday.

Flame away at me. That's the VN BB Forum protocol.

For what it's worth, I noticed while watching the inaugural parade that the first lady did not salute the flag while all of the others did, including the VP's wife. Note; I noticed this long before it came out on social media.

For what it's worth, I noticed while watching the inaugural parade that the first lady did not salute the flag while all of the others did, including the VP's wife. Note; I noticed this long before it came out on social media.

Maybe that purty blue dress that she had on was restrictive to her range of motion.

Did I state that I was retired, or how to stand at attention? What do machineguns have to do with my career?

The point being that you have made repeated references to your "sacrifice" and "combat tours" while trying to use those to draw attention to you not placing your had over your heart. It adds no legitimacy at all. Its a sad attempt to gain attention for something that people would thank you for anyway, while trying to take away from something your sacrifice should hold more dear.

You did say you were retired and you did some a reference that says to stand at attention.

I get it man, i was an 03 dumb dumb to start out my career. Its kinda the Cpl through Gunny way when they say something that someone disagrees with, they raise their voice louder and louder until people agree.

My point is, we shouldnt base judgement on people based on simple actions because that what we as veterans do. Should the President put his hand over his heart, yeah sure. Should people call him non American etc when he doesnt? No, surely there is some balance between the two.

Ill give you this example. You may have heard the story about SgtMaj Archie who was relieved of duty and forced to retire because he physically assualted a protestor that was wearing a campiagn cover and he didnt like it.

To the contrary, Isiah Crowell said something stupid about the police officers in Dallas during their funeral. Instead of berating the guy as a subhuman, a police officer reached out to him. He apologized, attended the funerals of some of the officers and went on to donate a paycheck to a police charity.

One further divides and one goes to adding understand despite disagreement, which was the original point of this thread. Not everyone has to be thankful for your service or perform a gesture the way you think they should, just because you want them too.

If you have branded me as someone looking for some artifical thank you, because i stated my service in a thread that it seemed relevent, that its unlikely to change but you are wrong. I get the ol back in the ol corps argument that produces disgruntle people. Thats the way Marines are, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Its all good man, as always in most situation, those most offended are not effected at all.

As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.

"It's a universal law--intolerance is the first sign of an inadequate education. An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas a truly profound education breeds humility."

-Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

If the slipper fits, wear it.

Reactions: 4 people
"It's a universal law--intolerance is the first sign of an inadequate education. An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas a truly profound education breeds humility."

-Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

If the slipper fits, wear it.[/

36 U.S.C. Code 301

National Anthem

a) Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Moral of the story: win basketball games and be decent young men.

And this coming from a 21 Marine Corps veteran and police officer.

The putting your hand over your heart is no big deal to me, never done it before in my life. As a society we come up with these meaningless gestures and want to shame people that dont follow suit. I have never put my hand over my heart and i would put the sacrifices ive made for this country against anyones.

As for the rest of the stuff, if they are not acting like idiots and using it to make a statement, have at it. Thats what we are here for. I support those kids because im a vols fan not because i agree or disagree with some political issue. If they are trying to make a statement, i would say that statement is stupid. I would have done anything to have the opportunity to do what they are getting to do. But what can you expect when the folks they look up to are making fools of themselves every chance they get. If they are doing some sort of protest, commend them on doing it the right way. Now go win basketball games!

And by the way players, tough game last night but you all have done a great job this season.

Your almost as modest as Trump.
God save America.

I don't know why anyone would find it strange that kids would imitate others they see. Flip on the TV.

I will illustrate with words: a former President - who will remain unnamed but served as a role model to many - didn't always put his hand over his heart for the national anthem.

Turn to the NBA, I think most players don't cover their heart. Some probably out of a lack of respect, and others out of ignorance to the law and proper decorum. It is in the United States Code that people place their hand over their heart

Reactions: 2 people

-Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

If the slipper fits, wear it.[/

36 U.S.C. Code 301

National Anthem

a) Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart

I either put my hand over my heart, or behind me with hands locked. As long as you stand, I really don't see the difference.

I either put my hand over my heart, or behind me with hands locked. As long as you stand, I really don't see the difference.

That's what I was always taught. I read things saying that the hand over heart for the anthem is proper, but it seems like sort of a recent phenomenon.

You did say you were retired and you did some a reference that says to stand at attention.

I get it man, i was an 03 dumb dumb to start out my career. Its kinda the Cpl through Gunny way when they say something that someone disagrees with, they raise their voice louder and louder until people agree.

My point is, we shouldnt base judgement on people based on simple actions because that what we as veterans do. Should the President put his hand over his heart, yeah sure. Should people call him non American etc when he doesnt? No, surely there is some balance between the two.

Ill give you this example. You may have heard the story about SgtMaj Archie who was relieved of duty and forced to retire because he physically assualted a protestor that was wearing a campiagn cover and he didnt like it.

To the contrary, Isiah Crowell said something stupid about the police officers in Dallas during their funeral. Instead of berating the guy as a subhuman, a police officer reached out to him. He apologized, attended the funerals of some of the officers and went on to donate a paycheck to a police charity.

One further divides and one goes to adding understand despite disagreement, which was the original point of this thread. Not everyone has to be thankful for your service or perform a gesture the way you think they should, just because you want them too.

If you have branded me as someone looking for some artifical thank you, because i stated my service in a thread that it seemed relevent, that its unlikely to change but you are wrong. I get the ol back in the ol corps argument that produces disgruntle people. Thats the way Marines are, nothing wrong with that.

Please show the post were I stated I was retired. You enjoy presuming, and often, yet you have shown no facts backing your assumptions about me, but that is the nature of message boards.

It honestly sounds like some Marine somewhere hurt your feelings and you just cant get over it. And now you must show the world how truly warrior like you are while being so above the "symbols" of the nation you swore to protect. In no way am I disgruntled, but I will say something when someone is trying to use their service to promote their own post about passive aggressively disparaging those who value those symbols.

Regardless GBO.

Please show the post were I stated I was retired. You enjoy presuming, and often, yet you have shown no facts backing your assumptions about me, but that is the nature of message boards.

It honestly sounds like some Marine somewhere hurt your feelings and you just cant get over it. And now you must show the world how truly warrior like you are while being so above the "symbols" of the nation you swore to protect. In no way am I disgruntled, but I will say something when someone is trying to use their service to promote their own post about passive aggressively disparaging those who value those symbols.

Regardless GBO.

My bad, your post say as a retired Marine you, i thought you were referring to yourself. And the discussion isn't how i act toward the symbols i swore to protect, the discussion is how we feel about how other people act... it has nothing to do with me.

I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?
Ever since the ruling went into effect that former service members may salute during the national anthem, I have always saluted the flag. It's amazing how many do not know that.

Ever since the ruling went into effect that former service members may salute during the national anthem, I have always saluted the flag. It's amazing how many do not know that.

As a former service member, I have always felt saluting the flag out of uniform is silly

That's what I was always taught. I read things saying that the hand over heart for the anthem is proper, but it seems like sort of a recent phenomenon.

Never knew why cheerleaders (mainly middle and HS) stood like this
1_1327690278218.jpg

Marines don't salute without covers on. I stand at attention.

VN Store

Back