The mental gymnastics of Butch apologists

Oh, good, a thread about Butch haters versus Butch lovers.

Because we haven't had enough of those lately. It's not like every thread about anything in the world eventually turns into this very topic.

How bout them preds!

I consider a good season to be one where expectations are met or exceeded. The expectation last year was to win the East and we failed to do that thus it was a bad season.

Come with me a few years back and I'll show you what a true "bad" season looks like. Some day surely you'll see just how silly this stuff is....🤞

Reactions: 1 person
"Enjoy DISCUSSING football" was what I actually said.

Maybe Behr and Yankee had a good point in the other thread. Your return may be a bit premature little fella.

By a year or so? :)

Oh look, the little fellow talk. Its pretty smple, just ignore any post you consider annoying. An annoying post has absolutely no bearing on a post you make or your ability to discuss football.

Lol, the best part about all these "Butch lovers and apologists", I have no idea how many there really are.
I've been accused of being one 3 times in the last 2 months. All 3 times, I asked for 1 little thing. Any quote from me doing so. Not one person could provide a single example.

Heck, the only time I actually talk about Jones I say that I have serious doubts.
The conclusion is obvious.. if you find whining and moaning to be a useless waste of time, you're a "butch lover".

I believe some have no other idea of how to use social media other than just griping about everything.

There's no place in this world for realists Charger.

This was totally thread worthy?. Basically every thread turns into an Anti Butch vs Butch supporters death match. Not sure the point you're trying to make is helping the cause here.

Last edited:
No need to take a step back. You went after he how he got the job right off the bat.

The SEC as a whole is better now than when Fulmer took over. However the east sucks. I don't see a Meyer, Spurrier, Fulmer, or even a Richt in the division right now. It's not like he's climbing Everest to win the division.

I am not backing off. It is true that he politiced for the job. He is not lily white like some want to make him out to be. OP wanted to compare their first four years. How he got the job is important in that analysis. CPF cherry picked a dream situation. CBJ took a position many did not want. Both had skeptics after four years. CPF overcame skeptics and hopefully CBJ will do the same.

BTW, the OP accomplished his trolling purpose in getting real Vol fans to argue with one another.

Reactions: 5 people
Cpf had 2 top 10 finishes b4 he won his first sec title, 1 being a #2 final ranking after the 95 season.

Not exactly apples/apples

Look what they started with. You are right, it is not apples to apples. CPF got a gold mine, CBJ inherited the shaft.

Reactions: 5 people
whose expectations?...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

maybe you can get an answer. I'm still looking for the official expectations.com website. I want to know what this season's are so I can go ahead and be depressed before we even start.

People who get paid millions to get results should always be under scrutiny. Especially if they regularly fail to meet expectations.

Exactly how does unrelenting scrutiny serve to make anyone better? Unrelenting scrutiny is how you destroy people, profess, and programs. UT shouldn't be ok with mediocrity, but only an idiot thinks that unrelenting scrutiny is how you fix it.

Look what they started with. You are right, it is not apples to apples. CPF got a gold mine, CBJ inherited the shaft.

That wasn't the point. I agree cpf started in a lot better shape.

You just can't construe cpf's 1st 5 years as similar to CBJ 's....cpf's was a lot better, jones took over a much worse ship

Another hindsight is 20-20 thread on Fulmer that leaves out his 8-7 bowl record and only 2 sec championship wins. Yeah he's done more than Butch but that record is crapping the bed in the big games. One Natty is a great accomplishment but statistics are only in one coaches favor just by being In the big game and that my friends is Nick Saban. What are the odds we lure a spawn of Saban and keep him? About as good as anyone on this board not saying fire butch if he had Fulmers record.

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't change our long history and Tradition of our game against alaBubba for anything.

Fact is that until we can find a way to recruit as well as nick saTan does we'll always start every season out with 1 Loss.

Starting the season out 0-1 before we play the 1st game isn't easy for any of us but some of us are old enough to remember the years we dominated alaBummer and they were doing all the crying.

I look forward to getting back to those days.

For now I just want to keep getting WINS against UGa and floriDUHHH and all the rest consistently.

It's time to get back to HOTlanta in the SEC Championship game.

VFL...GBO!!!

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

So, Fulmer took over a pretty dang good program in 1992 and won the Natty in 1998. Jones has been here five years and brought a program on the brink of disaster, or worse, national insignificance, back to respectability, elite recruiting, and great hope for the future.

Yeah, I'd say you're right. Tell that bum to get lost.

Reactions: 6 people
I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on theiir resume.

Don't compare lemons and oranges.

Fulmer took over a damn good program, oranges, that Johnny had built from a healthy sack of lemons and had made lemonade while he raised a darn good orange tree. Thats what ol' Phil got.

Jones got handed a rotten lemon peel out beside a dumpster at a greasy spoon that had all the juice sqoozed out. The dumpster beside it was on fire.

Reactions: 7 people
Context people, context. I realize that Fulmer had not reached the SEC championship game after 4 years. Having said that, he was competing with Spurrier at Florida. That is to say that the competition Fulmer was up against was on a different level than the competition Butch is up against. I also realize that UT was a dumpster fire prior to Butch coming onboard and he has improved the program. Having said that, by year 3 Butch had a roster more than capable of winning a weak East division and hasn't done it yet and it's looking less and less likely that he will ever get us to Atlanta. I do not expect SEC titles or playoff appearances every year. However, I think it is a reasonable expectation that UT should at least make it to Atlanta on a regular basis. I also think that a truly good coach would have gotten UT there by now. That is to say that Butch is a midlevel coach and the SEC is too big of a stage for him.

If you boat race Virginia Tech and Florida, beat Uga in Athens, and trounce Nebraska, you're doing more than enough right.

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

Looks like you have only been suffering since 2015. :)

If you boat race Virginia Tech and Florida, beat Uga in Athens, and trounce Nebraska, you're doing more than enough right.

If you have a .500 record vs. Vandy and are 0-4 versus Muschamp and struggle to put away teams like Appy St and Ohio, you might be doing a few things wrong too.

Reactions: 4 people

Last season was equivalent to Josh Dobbs making A's in his aerospace engineering classes but getting B's in his electives...B's are good grades but not for Josh Dobbs.

VN Store

Back