The mental gymnastics of Butch apologists

I find it humorous how some throw rocks at the last coach to ever win anything here, only to go on raving about a guy that hasn't hit that same guys low end of success. If you want to prop Jones for what he has done, fine. Knock yourself out. Until he wins something of note slamming Fulmer looks pretty silly. Stick with Dooley, you have something there.

I find everything humorous anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not slamming CPF. But Vol fans were having doubts after his first 4 years. The OP brought CPF into the conversation and made the comparison. I am just stating the facts. CPF was handed a loaded team in a weak SEC. CBJ was handed a train wreck in a conference with several strong programs.

CPF broke through and won the East in his fifth year. If VN and the internet existed then many on here would have had him on the hot seat going into his 5th year.

No need to take a step back. You went after he how he got the job right off the bat.

The SEC as a whole is better now than when Fulmer took over. However the east sucks. I don't see a Meyer, Spurrier, Fulmer, or even a Richt in the division right now. It's not like he's climbing Everest to win the division.

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

You use fulmer as a standard and yet early in his HC career he didn't have UT in the SEC Championship either, despite taking over an infinitely better team at the time. Yes we all know that we are not where we want to be but please quit whining. We are tired of hearing it. Butch has a couple more chances and he deserves them considering the dumpster fire he took over and whiniest fan base in America.

Reactions: 11 people
The end of Johnny Majors and the 1st 2/3s of Phillip Fulmer's tenure were by far the best recruiting years at Tennessee. Butch has 2-3 really good recruiting years, unfortunately they are greatly overshadowed by a total recruiting domination by bamer and OhStU.

That's my apologist statement.

Or maybe they just realize this isn't fantasy football and the future isn't decided by your b*******.

I've seen constant whining on here and it hasn't had any consequences except being annoying to those of us that try to enjoy discussing football. Absolutely no other results. It doesn't help your cause whatsoever.

Just something to think about.

You could just go enjoy the football and avoid all the annoying chatter?

I am not slamming CPF. But Vol fans were having doubts after his first 4 years. The OP brought CPF into the conversation and made the comparison. I am just stating the facts. CPF was handed a loaded team in a weak SEC. CBJ was handed a train wreck in a conference with several strong programs.

CPF broke through and won the East in his fifth year. If VN and the internet existed then many on here would have had him on the hot seat going into his 5th year.
Cpf had 2 top 10 finishes b4 he won his first sec title, 1 being a #2 final ranking after the 95 season.

Not exactly apples/apples

Last edited:
I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

After the '98 season Fulmer became the king of that department. Majors always had trouble beating Bama and the occasional slip up like the Auburn tie.

Fulmer? My goodness! '99 Florida, Arkansas, Nebraska. '01 Georgia, Lsu. '02Florida and a host of others that season and later.

Kiffin, I put UCLA first in that catagory for him.

That's not including games he shud have won that he wasn't favored in-I give that solidly to CBJ!

Witch Doctor think Freak should start a new classification for these type post/threads instead of sports

(x) things you would never say outloud but only on an anonymous internet board
or
(x) things that would get you laughed out the door if spoken

BNL

Reactions: 5 people
You use fulmer as a standard and yet early in his HC career he didn't have UT in the SEC Championship either, despite taking over an infinitely better team at the time. Yes we all know that we are not where we want to be but please quit whining. We are tired of hearing it. Butch has a couple more chances and he deserves them considering the dumpster fire he took over and whiniest fan base in America.

That's true. Spurrier also had UF as a top 5 program at that time. There is currently not one in the east to beat, and no one really even close.

Jones is on the clock. The dumpster fire talk made sense for 2 or 3 years. The east has been ripe since he righted the roster. If he can coach it shouldn't take him 3 years to manage the division. UF and UGA are still trying to figure out if they got the right guy.

Reactions: 2 people
Negavols be all...
trunchbull-disasters-of-a-thirtysomething.gif

Reactions: 5 people
You could just go enjoy the football and avoid all the annoying chatter?

"Enjoy DISCUSSING football" was what I actually said.

Maybe Behr and Yankee had a good point in the other thread. Your return may be a bit premature little fella.

By a year or so? :)

Reactions: 3 people
That's true. Spurrier also had UF as a top 5 program at that time. There is currently not one in the east to beat, and no one really even close.

Jones is on the clock. The dumpster fire talk made sense for 2 or 3 years. The east has been ripe since he righted the roster. If he can coach it shouldn't take him 3 years to manage the division. UF and UGA are still trying to figure out if they got the right guy.

...and apparently we're trying to figure out the same thing, I guess...yeah, this season will be a mystery, but to put a number on Butch would be a fallacy...heck, don't doubt he could win 8 games and still be around...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

...and apparently we're trying to figure out the same thing, I guess...yeah, this season will be a mystery, but to put a number on Butch would be a fallacy...heck, don't doubt he could win 8 games and still be around...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

There's more to it than how many wins he achieves. If he sells tickets and tshirts UT will take that with a smile.

Valid points. Although UF is not a top 5 program in recent years they have been a decent team most seasons while Vols were putrid when CBJ took over.
Also, when CPF coached most of his years were vs an Alabama teams on probation or only decent while CBJ has had to face bama at their peak as a cross division rival. That is a huge disadvantage currently. No excuses just facts.

Valid points. Although UF is not a top 5 program in recent years they have been a decent team most seasons while Vols were putrid when CBJ took over.
Also, when CPF coached most of his years were vs an Alabama teams on probation or only decent while CBJ has had to face bama at their peak as a cross division rival. That is a huge disadvantage currently. No excuses just facts.
True, and Jones took over 4+ years ago. UF is spinning it's wheels right now and their fans will tell you as much. UGA is in year 2 with a guy, that's in year 2 for him as a HC. It's not gonna get any easier than it is and has been..

Bama is not the obstacle UF was for winning the division. UF is the more important game while Bama historically is the biggest.

Last season was the only disappointing season since Butch has been here and in all honesty it was two games that took a great season and made it a good season. I think you started this thread to start another nega vs pumper thread. It is your right just like D4H can say this is an 11 win season coming up. Tennessee has NEVER consistently been a national championship contender. I hope we will be under CBJ but I would never expect it to happen more than once or twice in my lifetime. Atlanta is obtainable.

A rational voice crying in the wilderness. Good post. I agree 100%.

I would also point out that Fulmer only won 2 SEC titles in his entire tenure. And the great Lane Kiffin won 0.

VN Store

Back