The mental gymnastics of Butch apologists

A coach who has won a national championship has earned respect.

A coach who hasn't won the division with a roster full of talent has earned questions.

People question if CBJ can win the SECE because he never has. All he has to do is win the SECE, and the question will go away. Continue to come up short and the question will remain.

Solid way of putting it.

Negative people want everyone else to be as miserable as them and I bet it really has nothing to do with football. CBJ is just an easy target and watching other fans get worked up is like a high to a miserable person. That is why a lot of them are on the attack most of the time. Their points could be good but they don't just discuss them they force them in every thread.

Alot of that could be true....but when you lose to SC and Vandy in yr 4......smh.....and botch going to East twice in a row...or even a NY6 bowl....not going to get much high praise. Nature of the beast. Cincy fans and adm would be ready to get him a statue.

Alot of that could be true....but when you lose to SC and Vandy in yr 4......smh.....and botch going to East twice in a row...or even a NY6 bowl....not going to get much high praise. Nature of the beast. Cincy fans and adm would be ready to get him a statue.

SMH is right. I think every time losing to SC and Vandy gets brought up, Dooley should too.

Reactions: 1 person
but he still lags in talent necessary for Tennessee to brake out to the next level. we have to many 3 star players ,Jones thinks the 5 star harts will fill that gap in talent. after 5 years it has not worked out that way. can Jones ever retain top blue chip players like Bama , Ohio State. i do not think he can.

but he still lags in talent necessary for Tennessee to brake out to the next level. we have to many 3 star players ,Jones thinks the 5 star harts will fill that gap in talent. after 5 years it has not worked out that way. can Jones ever retain top blue chip players like Bama , Ohio State. i do not think he can.

Jones has provem time and time again he is not a very good in game coach. He is also overall responsible recruiting...so....?

The question is can Jones stop being stubborn in what he believes will work and allow pkayers to make plays and can he hire coaches that will cover his deficiencies?

Also, im not much of a grammer nazi but...brah....

I was listening to some guy's recruiting podcast yesterday, not because I follow recruiting closely but because the show for the day was titled something to the effect of "which schools can recruit at a national title level consistently." Tennessee was not in this guy's "list" because, in his view, we do not control our own destiny.

In other words, if our main SEC competitors (Florida, Georgia, Alabama) are firing on all cylinders, it doesn't really matter what we do. Those schools have built-in recruiting advantages that we do not. In order for Tennessee to compete consistently over many years, it requires one or more of those schools being down.

He also rattled off some W-L stats of Fulmer's against other programs when those programs were "good," and the results are not particularly impressive. Even during the late 90s.

Fulmer had most of his success against Florida when Zook was there. He only beat Spurrier a handful of times and never beat Urban. He had most of his success against Georgia pre-Richt. He owned Alabama, but their program was a joke during the late 90s - early 2000s. Basically Tennessee had its biggest, longest run of success when the SEC was a 2-team league, and the other team (Florida) still got the best of us.

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer had most of his success against Florida when Zook was there. He only beat Spurrier a handful of times and never beat Urban. He had most of his success against Georgia pre-Richt. He owned Alabama, but their program was a joke during the late 90s - early 2000s. Basically Tennessee had its biggest, longest run of success when the SEC was a 2-team league, and the other team (Florida) still got the best of us.

This^^^^^is spot on!

VN Store

Back