The Kentucky Postgame Report

Lighten up. When BCG was coaching us we had full-fledged 2 hour stair running practices on game days. Ya'll need a few consistent players and you'll make some noise.

Booker looks like a claymation character, but dang can he play ball. WCS is a really really good defensive player, and super athletic too, but I can't stand his cocky attitude. Probably one of thise guys you love if he plays for your team, and hate if he doesn't. I liken him to Joakim Noah.

Don't forget the Harrison twins. The biggest love hate relationship on all of sports have to be between those two and the fans.

2 of 17 from the three. If it had been 7 of 17 then the score was 66 to 63 then 4 of 10 from the line needed to make four more 8 of ten. We played a great game but you have to be able to make shots and free throws. This is what all these guys need to work on all summer.

Reactions: 1 person
Lighten up. When BCG was coaching us we had full-fledged 2 hour stair running practices on game days. Ya'll need a few consistent players and you'll make some noise.

I'll lighten up when you drop the thinly-veiled BS, and act decently as an opposing fan. UK is really good, Tennessee isn't right now. We get it. We don't need you to come here after the game to remind us of that under the guise of your backhanded "compliments".

Well, final result was what most expected. Kentucky wins 66-48. I think I had predicted 69-51 in another thread, so I got the spread right, though the game played out differently than I imagined. I had expected it to play out much like the LSU game where UK would jump up on us early by 25 or 30, and then we'd cut the score down late. In this game, we played UK toe-to-toe for 30 minutes, and then talent amd depth took over in the final 10. Can't be too disappointed in that effort.

The Good...
1. Kevin Punter played an entire game and was a factor all night instead of disappearing. 14 pts, 2 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk, and 2 TOs. He actually got to the lane and hit some pull-up jumpers and shots at the rim. Outside shot wasn't going, but neither was anyone else's.

2. Armani tried his best, but teams like this are the kind his lack of height will really show up against offensively. 5 pts, 8 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk, 3 stls, and 2 TOs. Only 2-7 from the field and 1-3 from the line. FT shooting is inexcusable, but he just doesn't have the size to score inside against two 7-footers. Not his fault.

3. Willie fouled out...obviously, but I thought he played ine of his better games in recent memory. 4 pts (2-2 from the field), 2 rebs, 1 asst, and 0 TOs. He is obviously not even half as skilled as any of UK's big men, nor is he as big, but he didn't play intimidated like he did vs LSU, and there were no WTF plays that I recall.

4. JRich struggled, as UKs plan was to guard him from anywhere inside halfcourt. It wore him down and frustrated him a little to constantly have to be guarding against Ulis or Harrison pestering him trying to set up the offense. Pretty smart move by Cal actually, and UK has the depth to extend their defense for that long and that level of intensity on him. Still finished with 10 pts, 3 rebs, and 1 asst, but had 3 TOs and looked visibly frustrated as his shot just wasn't falling. Likely a product of fatigue.

5. Absolutely floored that we played that team even on the boards. A credit to our effort and hustle. No way that UK team should ever get outrebounded, or played even like that, especially by a team as vertically challenged and undermanned as Tennessee. 19 offensive rebounds!!! Seriously strong effort from our guys.

6. Another "Wow!" stat; we outscored UK in the paint, 34-22. Are you kidding me? Who saw that coming? Our gameplan worked perfectly. Pack the paint defensively, play them close on the boards, and force outside shots. Unfortunately, they hit some tough 2s, and a few more 3s than us.

7. Tariq Owens I thought bounced back nicely following the LSU game. The shaved head makes him look even skinnier (if that were possible). 5 pts (2-3), 3 rebs, 1 blk, and 1 TO in only 8 minutes.

The Bad...
1. Unfortunately, we seemed to be our own worst enemy in this game, which is somewhat uncharacteristic. We committed 15 TOs and only forced 11, which is out of the norm.

2. Along those same lines, we shot 4-10 from the FT line. How are we so Jeckyll and Hyde from the line? 85% one game, 40 % the next.

3. The shots just weren't falling. 2-17 from 3 is so so so bad. And at home no less. Shoot just 41% from there (7-17), and just 60% at the line (6-10), and your right there with UK at the end. Part of that gameplan was predicated on us making some outside shots and hitting our FTs, and we failed to execute that aspect.

4. Hubbs really struggled again. 2 pts (1-6), 5 rebs, 1 asst, and 3 TOs.

5. Derek Reese didn't play terribly, but he just seemed noticeably absent from most plays. 2 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assts, 1 stl, and 1 TO. He just seemed to blend in. Obviously out of his element banging down low with 7-footers, but no fault of his own.

6. Detrick Mostella struggled shooting. He just never got going. 0-6 from the field (0-4 from 3). On a night when we needed someone to step up from outside, he failed to deliver. The talent is there though. He just needs a serious commitment to getting stronger and adding 15 lbs of muscle to his frame this offseason.

Bottom line...
Nothing to be embarrassed about from this outcome. It's about what most expected, and we played them tough for 3/4 of the game. Our gameplan was executed for the most part, but UK hit some tough outside shots and their FTs, and we just didn't. Beating them in the paint and playing them even on the boards impressed the heck out of me, and is a testament to their fight. They appeared to learn some things from the LSU game that they implemented in this game. UK played 9 guys last night, and every single one will play in the NBA.

Nice review chris...are you media...no you can't be...this was much too unbiased and logical for you to be media.

Also, Devin Booker and WCS are two of the most annoying Kentucky players I've ever seen. I can't remember disliking a kentucky player as much since Cousins or Rondo.

B-F0_DJCMAEmeiz.png

Hell of a game last night.

Well, final result was what most expected. Kentucky wins 66-48. I think I had predicted 69-51 in another thread, so I got the spread right, though the game played out differently than I imagined. I had expected it to play out much like the LSU game where UK would jump up on us early by 25 or 30, and then we'd cut the score down late. In this game, we played UK toe-to-toe for 30 minutes, and then talent amd depth took over in the final 10. Can't be too disappointed in that effort.

The Good...
1. Kevin Punter played an entire game and was a factor all night instead of disappearing. 14 pts, 2 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk, and 2 TOs. He actually got to the lane and hit some pull-up jumpers and shots at the rim. Outside shot wasn't going, but neither was anyone else's.

2. Armani tried his best, but teams like this are the kind his lack of height will really show up against offensively. 5 pts, 8 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk, 3 stls, and 2 TOs. Only 2-7 from the field and 1-3 from the line. FT shooting is inexcusable, but he just doesn't have the size to score inside against two 7-footers. Not his fault.

3. Willie fouled out...obviously, but I thought he played ine of his better games in recent memory. 4 pts (2-2 from the field), 2 rebs, 1 asst, and 0 TOs. He is obviously not even half as skilled as any of UK's big men, nor is he as big, but he didn't play intimidated like he did vs LSU, and there were no WTF plays that I recall.

4. JRich struggled, as UKs plan was to guard him from anywhere inside halfcourt. It wore him down and frustrated him a little to constantly have to be guarding against Ulis or Harrison pestering him trying to set up the offense. Pretty smart move by Cal actually, and UK has the depth to extend their defense for that long and that level of intensity on him. Still finished with 10 pts, 3 rebs, and 1 asst, but had 3 TOs and looked visibly frustrated as his shot just wasn't falling. Likely a product of fatigue.

5. Absolutely floored that we played that team even on the boards. A credit to our effort and hustle. No way that UK team should ever get outrebounded, or played even like that, especially by a team as vertically challenged and undermanned as Tennessee. 19 offensive rebounds!!! Seriously strong effort from our guys.

6. Another "Wow!" stat; we outscored UK in the paint, 34-22. Are you kidding me? Who saw that coming? Our gameplan worked perfectly. Pack the paint defensively, play them close on the boards, and force outside shots. Unfortunately, they hit some tough 2s, and a few more 3s than us.

7. Tariq Owens I thought bounced back nicely following the LSU game. The shaved head makes him look even skinnier (if that were possible). 5 pts (2-3), 3 rebs, 1 blk, and 1 TO in only 8 minutes.

The Bad...
1. Unfortunately, we seemed to be our own worst enemy in this game, which is somewhat uncharacteristic. We committed 15 TOs and only forced 11, which is out of the norm.

2. Along those same lines, we shot 4-10 from the FT line. How are we so Jeckyll and Hyde from the line? 85% one game, 40 % the next.

3. The shots just weren't falling. 2-17 from 3 is so so so bad. And at home no less. Shoot just 41% from there (7-17), and just 60% at the line (6-10), and your right there with UK at the end. Part of that gameplan was predicated on us making some outside shots and hitting our FTs, and we failed to execute that aspect.

4. Hubbs really struggled again. 2 pts (1-6), 5 rebs, 1 asst, and 3 TOs.

5. Derek Reese didn't play terribly, but he just seemed noticeably absent from most plays. 2 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assts, 1 stl, and 1 TO. He just seemed to blend in. Obviously out of his element banging down low with 7-footers, but no fault of his own.

6. Detrick Mostella struggled shooting. He just never got going. 0-6 from the field (0-4 from 3). On a night when we needed someone to step up from outside, he failed to deliver. The talent is there though. He just needs a serious commitment to getting stronger and adding 15 lbs of muscle to his frame this offseason.

Bottom line...
Nothing to be embarrassed about from this outcome. It's about what most expected, and we played them tough for 3/4 of the game. Our gameplan was executed for the most part, but UK hit some tough outside shots and their FTs, and we just didn't. Beating them in the paint and playing them even on the boards impressed the heck out of me, and is a testament to their fight. They appeared to learn some things from the LSU game that they implemented in this game. UK played 9 guys last night, and every single one will play in the NBA.

We made 8 of 32 shots in the 2nd half and kainsucky shot twice the # of FT and we were the freaking home team ! :shakehead:

Good review.

Thought UT played really well. We really allowed UT to stay around way too long. Lots of credit to the defense of UT though. We settled for a lot of threes. Especially our guards. Karl was a non-factor, WCS got screwed with that 2nd foul (but still played well overall). We were lucky the last two or three minutes of the first half to survive without either of our better bigs.

UT obviously had a gameplan. It worked really well. UK just had too many guys and UT got tired in the 2nd. If UT has a legit PG or C, then they stay in the game. Depth and size is the issue, not coaching or bad play imo. UT is getting the most of out its team. I thought Richardson was trying too hard like you said and got frustrated. Some pretty poor shots. Owens/Willie bailed him out a few times by getting a putback, otherwise some very bad possessions. Reese was kinda meh. Made a couple ok plays, but like some of the other UT players, didn't stand out. Players have to have big games for an upset. Punter did his part, just unlucky that some shots didn't come from other guys.

We made 8 of 32 shots in the 2nd half and kainsucky shot twice the # of FT and we were the freaking home team ! :shakehead:

If you ask UK fans, they'll tell you they got hosed. I thought, as usual, it was bad both ways. I think both sides can agree that officiating in college basketball is pretty bad. It is the hardest team sport to officiate because of how fast and congested it is, so I try to keep that in mind.

Tough game, they just have to much size and depth, that ultimately just wore us down. Anyways huge game for us Saturday night at ole miss!! Could be a huge win for us! If we can go 4-1 or even 3-2 in our last 5 I think that would be successful! Would get ius to the NIT which would be a good year for this team no doubt! Go Vols!!!!

Good review.

Thought UT played really well. We really allowed UT to stay around way too long. Lots of credit to the defense of UT though. We settled for a lot of threes. Especially our guards. Karl was a non-factor, WCS got screwed with that 2nd foul (but still played well overall). We were lucky the last two or three minutes of the first half to survive without either of our better bigs.

UT obviously had a gameplan. It worked really well. UK just had too many guys and UT got tired in the 2nd. If UT has a legit PG or C, then they stay in the game. Depth and size is the issue, not coaching or bad play imo. UT is getting the most of out its team. I thought Richardson was trying too hard like you said and got frustrated. Some pretty poor shots. Owens/Willie bailed him out a few times by getting a putback, otherwise some very bad possessions. Reese was kinda meh. Made a couple ok plays, but like some of the other UT players, didn't stand out. Players have to have big games for an upset. Punter did his part, just unlucky that some shots didn't come from other guys.

Just about exactly how I saw it.

Tough game, they just have to much size and depth, that ultimately just wore us down. Anyways huge game for us Saturday night at ole miss!! Could be a huge win for us! If we can go 4-1 or even 3-2 in our last 5 I think that would be successful! Would get ius to the NIT which would be a good year for this team no doubt! Go Vols!!!!

4-1 would be a homerun. Heck, I'd take 3-2 right now if offered. 3 of 5 on the road against quality opponents, and Vandy and USCe at home.

If you ask UK fans, they'll tell you they got hosed. I thought, as usual, it was bad both ways. I think both sides can agree that officiating in college basketball is pretty bad. It is the hardest team sport to officiate because of how fast and congested it is, so I try to keep that in mind.

Can't argue with some of the people on VN unfortunately. Thought there were definitely bad calls on both sides. Over on KSR UK fans were saying it pro-UT all night. UT fans on VN saying it was obviously pro-UK. Trying to look objectively, though, can't really complain. I remember a lot of plays I was mad at, but thinking again we got away with a lot in the 2nd.

He looks like the kid from UP. Kentucky fanbase recognized it, and made him some pics. Comment also made by a UT Fan on one of the threads yesterday.

Oh okay. I was paying too much attention to the team photo flying in the air, and trying to draw a correlation with the team success and "Up". Got it now.

I was pretty surprised by this game, UT was within striking distance for 3/4 of the game. I think a good bit of that was Kentucky playing with poor effort, but got to credit UT for playing hard. The rebounding really tells the story, there is no reason a team with that many athletic bigs should ever allow so many offensive rebounds. As good as Kentucky can be defensively, they really don't seem to be a good offensive team. Really seems to me the Harrison's were overrated. Sophomores who were former top 10 recruits should not be shooting 37% each. Still though, I give credit to Tyndall for getting his kids to play hard, and in the end Kentucky still covered, so I won a little drinking money for the weekend.

If we had of done a half decent job making our threes we would have had every Kentucky fan wetting their pants at the end of that game! As it was we stayed with them for 30 to 32 minutes of it, which I think shows what a better coach Tyndell is than Calipari!

Reactions: 2 people
The defense is there. The offense just needs to be average. This is how close we were. The 3 was defended well. That's been a constant complaint, so evidently that was fixed. Kentucky was 5 of 22 from three. If we shot 7 of 17 instead of 2 of 17 and hit 4 more free throws, we win. I'm beginning to think there is something to the fact that every team we play shoots twice as many free throws as we do. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
We might make a run in the NIT if we get there. Southern Miss won their first two games both years they were in it with Coach T.

The defense is there. The offense just needs to be average. This is how close we were. The 3 was defended well. That's been a constant complaint, so evidently that was fixed. Kentucky was 5 of 22 from three. If we shot 7 of 17 instead of 2 of 17 and hit 4 more free throws, we win. I'm beginning to think there is something to the fact that every team we play shoots twice as many free throws as we do. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
We might make a run in the NIT if we get there. Southern Miss won their first two games both years they were in it with Coach T.

And if Kentucky shoots their average from 3 we lose by 25, that argument unfortunately works both ways. Kentucky leads the nation is defensive 3pt%, meaning that while yes we had some open looks, they characteristically do not allow teams to shoot 7 of 17 from 3, they typically hold teams to more around 3/17 from deep.

Reactions: 2 people

There is a reason. We foul a lot.

We are small in the post so we can't bang with big guys which leads to fouling a lot. We also gamble for steals which can lead to contact and fouls getting called. It will correct itself once our posts mature.

And if Kentucky shoots their average from 3 we lose by 25, that argument unfortunately works both ways. Kentucky leads the nation is defensive 3pt%, meaning that while yes we had some open looks, they characteristically do not allow teams to shoot 7 of 17 from 3, they typically hold teams to more around 3/17 from deep.

This, this about the second time I've ever agreed with BTO. The real thing that kept UT in the game was rebounding. If Kentucky rebounded the ball like they normally do, it would have been a 30 point blowout.

VN Store

Back