The Horror Movie Thread

I watched it and liked it myself. I loved the 80s vibe of the music and setting. I will say that the last 20 mins of the film kind of disapointed me. You get a huge build up through the first two acts that has very little payoff. The film just kind of ends. You are left with way more questions than answers. I really hope a sequel gets made.

I think the lack of a finish is what completes the metaphor.

Reactions: 1 person
Great. I've been playing skyrim for months and have 3 characters I'm damn far in on. But by starting the 3rd time, I decided I don't want to pay followers that can level you up for free or even followers that charge you out the bum. I never joined any groups the first time around while getting up to level 50 or so. I didn't use alchemy, or enchanting or magic.

The 2nd time around I leveled up a lot by using followers as trainers and got to about level 60. On my 2nd character I also wouldn't pickpocket or break laws(other than lockpicking which shouldn't be a crime in a cave) but that includes trespassing or assault. The first character I cheated in stealing by saving before hand and then reloading if I got caught cheating but I decided that's not fun and didn't steal at all with this character. I used my werewolf form to kill the stupid ghost deer thing because it counts as assualt even in human form. Then I also used werewolf to destroy the guy with the rings and armors so it didn't count and I pawned the cursed ring off on a follower so I could get the regular ring, cursed ring and saviors hide.

3rd character I'm use everything. All of the magic, both armors, both weapons and maxing out everything by trying to grind. Still not cheating or stealing or making ridiculous potions, only the perk points and leveling up by doing it all in combat. That's not to say I won't cheat on the shield or sneaking by just letting it run on it's own but for now I'm up to level 37 I think just grinding and I've done it in just over 30 hours. Still joined no groups and haven't even done the golden claw mission so no dragons yet haha... the last reason I restarted yet again... I wanted to know how much time I was actually spending playing the damn game. My one character was 500 or 600 hours and I'm like whoa, really?

I had cheated with sneak and taping down the block button etc. while leaving the game running for hours but that isn't what racked up all those 600 hours. Did you know if you pause the game it counts towards your play time on pause? There were times I left it on pause 4 days at a time, multiple times. That's so stupid pause time counts(also stupid of me to run my system for 4 days at a time). Ultimately it's not a big deal and doesn't bother me but I would like to know how much time I'm spending on just one game/character. 30 hours to get up to level 37 while grinding seems like I'm on a pretty quick pace given how slow I was in the past even while paying to upgrade or cheating to steal.

Needless to say, if you're saying Witcher is the best thing since Skyrim, I hate you and you've ruined my life. I don't need to spend a nother 6 month playing one game and only one game. Hell, Skyrim may take me 12 months at this point because I'll randomly play it here and there for a few hours at a time. I might go 5 days without playing but when I sit done and play it's like 5 hours. Poof... 5 hours just gone on a single game.

Sorry to take the thread off topic.

Witcher lacks some of the randomness and total freedom of Skyrim. For example, you can't own property or build a house or build secondary skills like blacksmithing. You don't create your character and decide who they become.

It's much more character and story driven. You are a professional monster hunter and basically the biggest badass in the realm; you are well known for both good and bad reasons. You are essentially a living legend who scores with any woman who gets near you :)

As a professional, you take your trade seriously - negotiating contracts, searching for clues at the scene of the killings, and figuring out what you are up against and preparing for it. Go into a fight unprepared can often mean a quick death. You are given an arsenal of items and information that requires researching the different types of creatures that exist and how to defeat them. So every encounter is somewhat unique and you've got to be able to switch up battle tactics on the fly.

The storyline and quests are the best I've seen in gaming; it's really like playing out a well written fantasy novel - which the Witcher is actually based on.

Even small side quests are full fleshed out and have backstories; there are no fetch this and talk to that guy missions.

Finally, it is super challenging on the harder settings - sometime the Elder Scrolls has never gotten right.

Last edited:
First one was better

Yeah wasn't a fan. Little kids can only go so far. Little kid noises, a random little demonic kid strategicly placed, etc. are fine. But little ghost kids talking to other little ghost kids and a little kid chasing his family with a scythe is a far cry from "fear-inducing"

I find horror movies in general just flat out suck. Maybe it's because I'm older now and I spend too long logically breaking stuff down, but I haven't been "scared" of a movie in forever.

I find horror movies in general just flat out suck. Maybe it's because I'm older now and I spend too long logically breaking stuff down, but I haven't been "scared" of a movie in forever.

I think "found footage" is the way to go at this point. To me the only horror movies worth watching as of late have been FF style.

I did see a preview for a pretty intense looking movie coming out when I saw Sinister. Looked like it involved some sort of tribe and people being tortured. May be a crazy one.

Never said I didn't enjoy some of them; just the "That was scary" part that amuses me.

And I don't count jump scares; that's some cheap shiz.

Oh I never get scared either, maybe a little creeped out. Depends on the jump scare, if its sort of subtle I'm ok with it. Like when the creatures first show up in the Decent. The girl has night vision on the camera going from girl to girl, and at the one girl the creature is just standing behind her. I don't care for something popping out, too easy. IMO

I think "found footage" is the way to go at this point. To me the only horror movies worth watching as of late have been FF style.

I did see a preview for a pretty intense looking movie coming out when I saw Sinister. Looked like it involved some sort of tribe and people being tortured. May be a crazy one.

Bigdaddy posted a trailer for that in the Movies thread, (can't remember the name) but that does look like it has potential to be pretty creepy.

I might get a little creeped out but never scared. Insidious was a creepy movie I thought. I saw a movie called...Creep..back in 2005..and it was...creepy.

With horror I like the black comedy route. Evil Dead series, Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, etc.

Nowadays I just like effects. I don't watch the horror movies to be scared I just like to see realistic effects, creatures, plausible scenarios, or totally unrealistic scenarios. Anything with a supernatural element will have my attention.

The only horror movie I can think of that I want to see this year is Green Inferno..and mostly because it's gonna be gory as all hell.

VN Store

Back