The Golf Thread

I was the assistant pro at Draper Valley in Virginia for 5 years, gave lessons all the time.... played maybe 10 rounds total in 5 years. When i did it for a living i just didn't feel like playing.

I guess it's like anything else. It's fun until somebody starts telling you what you have to do. I don't know how the guys on tour do a couple of practice rounds followed by 4 days of tournament golf, followed by a plane trip and do it all over again. It's no wonder they don't like to play more than 2 weeks in a row.
IMO, one of the worst pieces of conventional advice given to young people is "find somebody to pay you for something that you'd do for free."

That is a great way to take a hobby/recreational activity that gives you a lot of pleasure and make it a chore.

Not sure where to put this, but Caleb Surratt was key in the US Walker Cup victory over the weekend. Then a nice interview on the Golf Channel from back at UT.

Reactions: peaygolf
Not sure where to put this, but Caleb Surratt was key in the US Walker Cup victory over the weekend. Then a nice interview on the Golf Channel from back at UT.
I watched a bunch of it. St. Andrews is just an interesting place to watch people negotiate.

Reactions: GBOx2 and ZZ13
I think we need a VolNation Golf outing every spring. An annual thing in Knoxville say like April? Start there, possibly expand and do Myrtle one year? IDK just a thought. Maybe a VolNation Scramble? Could be really awesome. I'd be more than happy to set this up.
Annual VN scramble would be really fun. I’d definitely try to come.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I think we need a VolNation Golf outing every spring. An annual thing in Knoxville say like April? Start there, possibly expand and do Myrtle one year? IDK just a thought. Maybe a VolNation Scramble? Could be really awesome. I'd be more than happy to set this up.
I'm in!

I'd be in

Reactions: peaygolf
All honesty..........If you really want to do this....let me know. I'll help with finding a course.

Reactions: YankeeVol
What i'd like to do is get at least 30-40, at least, obviously would like WAY more, and have Tony Basilio who likes golf because his son played college golf at Univ of Penn, or a local sports talk show do a Live Remote from wherever we do this, just have a blind draw scramble and have a great time. I also want to do this on a home baseball weekend so we can also enjoy that as well. Good excuse to get everyone together. If not i'll shoot for summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: YankeeVol
As much crap Cantlay has taken, and RIGHTLY SO, he came up big at the end of four ball. Hat trick on the last 3 holes to flip the match, and give our boys a glimmer of hope for tomorrow!

Had my best round since I can remember. 6 pars on the day (had a few birdie chances). Chipped on in from about 15 yards today for the first time in forever lol.

Reactions: Rishvol

VN Store

Back