The Game has passed the Lady Vols by...

I don't think it's as simple as that. Everyone needs to keep in mind that if Holly were to step down tomorrow, then quite a few other people she loves like family -- her staff -- will essentially be out of jobs, too.

That's a heckuva responsibility for anyone, and while it is certainly true that someone shouldn't take on that kind of responsibility for others' livelihoods unless they have the stomach to make difficult, sometimes painful, decisions, it still doesn't make it any easy thing to do.

If she is thinking about her assistants....now IS the time to resign giving them plenty of time to wait for the new coach to be chosen and see if that person will retain them, and still be paid by UT while waiting, or find new positions at another school.....the coaches are not automatically out of a job unless they choose to be.....

if they were any good they could find other jobs.

I don't think that's quite true. Tennessee was (and in some ways still is) a significant destination for the sport. At most places, seeing the women's team go 22-14 wouldn't even make the news. Here it's a big blowup, people care about it, all that. I mean, take ESPN - Holly goes 25-8, and they write a headline article saying "Is Holly Warlick on the Hot Seat?" Most places, 25-8 would be fantastic. Here it's different, because the goals are different. And as much as we've watched the program decline and struggle, it's still got some gas left in the tank. People in and around Tennessee care about the program. Hell, people in and around Tennessee care about the sport - and yeah, that's due to Pat, but the influence still lingers. The program is a standard bearer. Not as much as when Pat led the program, but there's still a lot of awareness to tap into, a lot of pride and recognition that goes with that. God help 'em, if they ever found a way to fix things, which I admit I'm not hopeful about, but if they did, the support would be back in short order. But that's up to them. No press conference is going to fix the problems. They have to fix it. What UT does, and how Holly responds, either by making improvements or trying to fix the situation, will impact that value -- but that value isn't gone. Not yet. Slipping, yes. But not gone yet. And wanting to work in an environment where that attention exists has some measure of attractiveness, I imagine.

Reactions: 2 people
heaven forbid we let a coach go because the ASSISTANTS might be out of a job.....amazing the rational for keeping a coach that is killing our program......

I wasn't offering any rationale for keeping Holly, nor was I saying that her concern for her assistants is the main reason she hasn't resigned already. But what I AM saying is that there are other people involved besides just her, and only that it COULD be something she's considering. I have no idea what she's thinking. Just throwing out different viewpoints to consider.

I've been reading a lot of this stuff for quite a while and would to make a couple of points:

1. People who say Holly can't coach should realize if what they are saying were true Pat would have fired her years ago. She can coach and has coached at the highest level. She has not performed as a head coach. She has not demonstrated the ability to run a team.

2. Some of you make it seem like CHW has no value on this earth but to be denigrated. She has tremendous value for the university and deserves to be treated with the respect that Pat would treat her with if she were here to see the mess.

3. She has given years of valuable service to the university and should never be fired, but promoted to a position of respect where she can be of service in recruiting and booster support.

4. Then bring in the best coach you can

Reactions: 3 people
I've been reading a lot of this stuff for quite a while and would to make a couple of points:

1. People who say Holly can't coach should realize if what they are saying were true Pat would have fired her years ago. She can coach and has coached at the highest level. She has not performed as a head coach. She has not demonstrated the ability to run a team.

2. Some of you make it seem like CHW has no value on this earth but to be denigrated. She has tremendous value for the university and deserves to be treated with the respect that Pat would treat her with if she were here to see the mess.

3. She has given years of valuable service to the university and should never be fired, but promoted to a position of respect where she can be of service in recruiting and booster support.

4. Then bring in the best coach you can

I have not seen one post attacking her personally, so get off the "respect schtick....her coaching is fair game to critize.....she is a big girl and is making big girl money....

Reactions: 3 people
I have not seen one post attacking her personally, so get off the "respect schtick....her coaching is fair game to critize.....she is a big girl and is making big girl money....

Darn right, IÂ’m so over people defending her coaching ability by bringing up nonsense issues. She is a sorry coach and needs to go. I donÂ’t care what coach Summitt might think, and who knows what that might be. She needs to go, now.

Reactions: 5 people
IF Warlick cared about UT as much as her "loyalists" claim she does, this past season would be her last..Damage has been done, no doubt..But there is still time to repair it if the UT admin (or CHW) ends the CHW era..Saying this doesn't mean I hate CHW or think fans who support her are delusional..But to be completely honest, IMHO that time is fast approaching.....

Reactions: 2 people
The game passed by a couple of seasons ago and unfortunately is now fading into the distance. Most especially on the offensive end.

What I can't understand is why. Why don't we just catch up and save all this drama? What the heck is the resistance to just leaving behind the venerated but outdated Corn Fed Chick put-back and points off turnover based offense which hasn't worked against good teams in about a decade now?

The problem is no state secret; it's much discussed on every broadcast and in every post and blog. Clinging to the Glory Days is not doing Pat Summit's legacy any favors; she knew the offense was outdated, she said it and to her everlasting credit she was seeking out help for it. Then she got sick.

I refuse to believe CHW wants to drive this car off the cliff. She cannot be unaware of the problem, and we definitely have the raw talent (for now). So what gives? Hard to imagine with the collective coaching experience and resources of the current staff they can't come up with and implement an offensive plan that involves less desperation and more movement.

Hell, copy one if we have to! We've certainly seen enough of them speeding by us the last few seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The game passed by a couple of seasons ago and unfortunately is now fading into the distance. Most especially on the offensive end.

What I can't understand is why. Why don't we just catch up and save all this drama? What the heck is the resistance to just leaving behind the venerated but outdated Corn Fed Chick put-back and points off turnover based offense which hasn't worked against good teams in about a decade now?

The problem is no state secret; it's much discussed on every broadcast and in every post and blog. Clinging to the Glory Days is not doing Pat Summit's legacy any favors; she knew the offense was outdated, she said it and to her everlasting credit she was seeking out help for it. Then she got sick.

I refuse to believe CHW wants to drive this car off the cliff. She cannot be unaware of the problem, and we definitely have the raw talent (for now). So what gives? Hard to imagine with the collective coaching experience and resources of the current staff they can't come up with and implement an offensive plan that involves less desperation and more movement.

Hell, copy one if we have to! We've certainly seen enough of them speeding by us the last few seasons.

I believe that she is aware of the problems,,,I also believe that she just doesn't seem to want to let go of control enough to let someone help her solve them.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe that she is aware of the problems,,,I also believe that she just doesn't seem to want to let go of control enough to let someone help her solve them.

Control? Of exactly what? The Titanic as it careens toward the iceburg? IMO the one thing CHW has none of is control. Games control her and she flails for damage control. The last few years she also clearly cannot control her players, thus her constant answer that she had a great game plan but the kids just didn't follow it.

I just can't believe Holly is aware of the problem yet refuses to solve it for selfish reasons. This has to be way more agonizing for her than all of us put together. She has literally dedicated her life to this program, should be eager for anything that will right the ship and shut us all the hell up.

On the other hand, this problem has been well-known and much-discussed for years, yet no apparent attempt at solving it. Is it a can't fix it rather than a won't? Do we think this was the cause of the riff with Kyra Elzy?

When you watch the offensive proficiency of the teams left in the NCAA Tournament, it is easy to see how far behind the Lady Vols offense is....They shoot the 3 ball with great regularity and efficiency, and don't try and pound the ball into the post at an all cost effort.

It's as if we are running a single wing attack in leather helmets, while the other team is playing a 2 minute offense in the latest head gear...

Holly is going to always have an offense that does not shoot the 3 ball, and plays throw the ball to the big girl attack....Antiquated.

Control? Of exactly what? The Titanic as it careens toward the iceburg? IMO the one thing CHW has none of is control. Games control her and she flails for damage control. The last few years she also clearly cannot control her players, thus her constant answer that she had a great game plan but the kids just didn't follow it.

I just can't believe Holly is aware of the problem yet refuses to solve it for selfish reasons. This has to be way more agonizing for her than all of us put together. She has literally dedicated her life to this program, should be eager for anything that will right the ship and shut us all the hell up.

On the other hand, this problem has been well-known and much-discussed for years, yet no apparent attempt at solving it. Is it a can't fix it rather than a won't? Do we think this was the cause of the riff with Kyra Elzy?

glv98 : I just hit the floor LOL ! Good one !

It's hard to give up control. You have to have the utmost trust in the person you give control too...This trust has to be given, then earned...Continuously.

Last edited:

Please provide some PROOF of the supposed "riff" between Warlick and Elzy.

Please provide some PROOF of the supposed "riff" between Warlick and Elzy.

They have NONE!

Well GOODNESS! Relax ya'll. I thought it was common knowledge Kyra left unhappy. But I could be WRONG, often am. It's meaningless internet chat not the Supreme Court.
BTW "THEY" is just little ole me. Black Helicopter much?

Well GOODNESS! Relax ya'll. I thought it was common knowledge Kyra left unhappy. But I could be WRONG, often am. It's meaningless internet chat not the Supreme Court.

BTW.....THEY would include other posters who have said similar things without actual proof.

From where did you uncover this "common knowledge" phantom?

I say it was a LIE posted on this board by a FIRE HOLLY parrot.

From where did you uncover this "common knowledge" phantom?

I say it was a LIE posted on this board by a FIRE HOLLY parrot.

Oh from the wisdom of my TRIBE of course! Look, I said I could be wrong OK? Jeeze, relax! I promise no plot nor parrot,

So why did Kyra leave after so short a stay? Seemed kind of abrupt, maybe that's why the riff rumor got legs. So she was just dying to work for Matthew Mitchell I guess?

Oh from the wisdom of my TRIBE of course! Look, I said I could be wrong OK? Jeeze, relax! I promise no plot nor parrot,

So why did Kyra leave after so short a stay? Seemed kind of abrupt, maybe that's why the riff rumor got legs. So she was just dying to work for Matthew Mitchell I guess?

Hell, she could have been offered more money. Did you or the person who first posted the Lie ever think about that?

VN Store

Back