The Dark Tower (February 17, 2017)

How many of you are actually optimistic that this is going to be any good? I have zero confidence. Casting Idris Elba was dumb, great actor sure, but not for this role.

How many of you are actually optimistic that this is going to be any good? I have zero confidence. Casting Idris Elba was dumb, great actor sure, but not for this role.

I have less issues with casting and more with the idea of throwing together elements from a bunch of different books

First trailer dropped today. Its not good. Sigh.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0A2GpMNP8[/youtube]

What was good about it? The story isn't even close to the books and has more cliches than a gay pride parade running through it.

Sigh indeed. That looks terrible. Might be okay for someone that never read the books.

Should have been a series.

What was good about it? The story isn't even close to the books and has more cliches than a gay pride parade running through it.

As I understand it, the story isn't even the books - not trying to be the books. Just the characters from the books.

Looked like plenty of action.

As I understand it, the story isn't even the books - not trying to be the books. Just the characters from the books.

Looked like plenty of action.

So lets just take these beloved characters and their epic frame of reference and throw them into a watered down cgi crap fest?

Action has very little to do with the greatness of the books so...woo hoo to action.

I've not said it was great just that it doesn't look bad. Hell I don't even know from a 2 min clip. I'm not holding it to some high standard. If anything, you should know by now that King book movies tend to not be that good with a few exceptions.

I'd recommend you not go.

Reactions: 3 people
yeah sorry about trying to have a conversation about it guys. I guess got told.

I'm 50/50 on the trailer. I don't like the fact that most of the film takes place on Earth and I really hate that Jake finds a portal to Mid-World instead of dying and waking up there. However, I really like Idris Elba as the Gunslinger and I love Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black. He was born for that character imo. The Slow Mutants looked good too.

It also seems to me like they're combining the characters of Jake and Patrick. I don't really know how I feel about that. It is what it is I suppose. Anyone else catch the Pennywise easter egg?

I will definitely go and watch it when it releases but my expectations of it being a true adaptation has been shattered.

I'm 50/50 on the trailer. I don't like the fact that most of the film takes place on Earth and I really hate that Jake finds a portal to Mid-World instead of dying and waking up there. However, I really like Idris Elba as the Gunslinger and I love Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black. He was born for that character imo. The Slow Mutants looked good too.

It also seems to me like they're combining the characters of Jake and Patrick. I don't really know how I feel about that. It is what it is I suppose. Anyone else catch the Pennywise easter egg?

I will definitely go and watch it when it releases but my expectations of it being a true adaptation has been shattered.

If it's not a true adaptation, at least make it a good movie. Don't Eragon it.

Reactions: 1 person
So lets just take these beloved characters and their epic frame of reference and throw them into a watered down cgi crap fest?

Action has very little to do with the greatness of the books so...woo hoo to action.

If you read the books you would know that there has been many cycles. The movie will show what happened after the books in a new cycle. It looks great and this is my favorite book series.

Reactions: 1 person
If you read the books you would know that there has been many cycles. The movie will show what happened after the books in a new cycle. It looks great and this is my favorite book series.

Yeah i remember that but it just didnt do it for me maybe a different trailer would i thought drawing of the three was one of kings best.

I'm not all the way through the series but this is clearly pulling from across the books - the house where they pull Jake in, looks like some Lud action, etc.

I noticed the Gunslinger has all his fingers on both hands - clearly the lobstrocities weren't part of this version.

Hope it's still a good amalgamation stand alone - clearly not the Game of Thrones treatment

Was that the Overlook Hotel on Jake's therapist's table when the room starts shaking? I'd like to think so.

VN Store

Back