The Coffee Thread

Room temp for 2-3 days?? Interesting. Didn’t think that was supposed to happen

I thought I read somewhere that was normal. Your reaction has made me look it up.

Apparently 14-18 hours at room temp is the recommended time... Oops. I guess I better get this in the fridge.

Attachments

• FABEC8B3-934D-42D0-B135-36A0BC15ED61.jpg
    FABEC8B3-934D-42D0-B135-36A0BC15ED61.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
I thought I read somewhere that was normal. Your reaction has made me look it up.

Apparently 14-18 hours at room temp is the recommended time... Oops. I guess I better get this in the fridge.

😂😂 let me know if you taste a change

How do you all make cold brew? I tried a couple of times last year, using a large Mason jar, sitting in the fridge overnight. The flavor was great, but my filtration methods have been a failure and/or pain in the arse.

We use cheese cloth in a strainer and it does a really good job.

I have a basket that fits in a gallon mason jar for cold brew. Just fill with grounds and water and let it sit.

I don't usually spend big money on beans for cold brew, since cold brewing usually ends up rubbing out most of the unique flavors of different beans.

As far as other tools, I have a Hario mini mill for a grinder but I'm looking at an Encore soon, and I've got all the nerd standards- Aeropress, a Melitta cone and a Hario V60, a good old French press, and a moka pot. My most unique coffee tools are my cezve (Turkish coffee maker) and an odd little brewing device commonly used in Peru.

My daily drivers shift between the French press and the pour overs just for ease, but I do like tinkering with Aeropress techniques sometimes.

Beans-wise some of the best I have had come from Alabaster in Williamsport, PA, but nothing compares to the fresh beans I can get when I'm in Peru.

Seriously guys..... have any of y'all ever had the cat poo coffee beans coffee..... there's also monkey poo.... supposed to be very good but I'm not drinking it

JFG Coffee had their production facilities here in downtown Knoxville. Within a few minutess, 20-40 or so, fresh roasted and ground coffee beans lose a lot of flavor.

The Howard Johnson Hotel used to advertise something like they had, "The Best Cup of Coffee in the South". This was because the had someone run the few blocks down to the JFG roasting house and bring back fresh roasted coffee every day.

Reactions: 1 person
Just finished my cold brew. It tastes really good but I only made enough for one day. 14 hours sitting out overnight. Strained twice then poured over ice.

Any suggestions for a strainer that will fit perfectly over the mouth of a Mason jar?

Beans-wise some of the best I have had come from Alabaster in Williamsport, PA, but nothing compares to the fresh beans I can get when I'm in Peru.

This. Living in Cusco we found this little coffee shop on Avenida Machu Picchu that will source me beans. We've made friends with the three guys working it and will probably go to their farm 4 hours outside the city to see the entire process on how they're made soon.

The beans are the best I've ever been able to find. Full of deep notes and absolutely zero acid if brewed correctly. I'm able to get a kilo (2.2 lbs) for about $12.

As far as prep goes I always grind just prior to brewing. Normal routine is to use the double wall stainless steel French press, but if I have time I'll use the same pour over reusable system referenced earlier in the thread. I like aeropress but don't want to deal with the clean up. That and the same coffee house will make me an aeropress cup for $2 ish. So if I get a hankering for it, I'll just go there.

Reactions: 1 person
How do you all make cold brew? I tried a couple of times last year, using a large Mason jar, sitting in the fridge overnight. The flavor was great, but my filtration methods have been a failure and/or pain in the arse.

I used to use a pitcher and cheese cloth. The coffee stand at the office has some kind of mesh bag they put the grounds in.

I bought a toddy a couple years ago and it works well. Although I’ve heard the OXO one is better

I’ve tried a bunch of different coffees at home but couldn’t really tell enough difference to justify the cost. The most expensive coffee I’ll buy is the allegro from Whole Foods. I’m buying a new burr grinder and will probably be purchasing a new drip maker soon so maybe that will help. For single servings I love my aero press but I rarely use it.

There are some local shops that I’ll pop in for a good cup.

Also, the clover machines that some Starbucks have make a fantastic cup of coffee.

I just ordered an entry-level Burr grinder on Amazon. I'm going to give it a shot before dropping $100+ on the higher end brands.

This. Living in Cusco we found this little coffee shop on Avenida Machu Picchu that will source me beans. We've made friends with the three guys working it and will probably go to their farm 4 hours outside the city to see the entire process on how they're made soon.

The beans are the best I've ever been able to find. Full of deep notes and absolutely zero acid if brewed correctly. I'm able to get a kilo (2.2 lbs) for about $12.

As far as prep goes I always grind just prior to brewing. Normal routine is to use the double wall stainless steel French press, but if I have time I'll use the same pour over reusable system referenced earlier in the thread. I like aeropress but don't want to deal with the clean up. That and the same coffee house will make me an aeropress cup for $2 ish. So if I get a hankering for it, I'll just go there.

Peru is just the best.

Question for you home cold brewers - Do you think it is cheaper to make your own cold brew compared to buying from a coffee shop?

There was a time when I used a hand grinder that I've had for decades, a French style coffee maker (boils the water up through the coffee into the receptacle), and bought beans from around the world (Peru and Celebes were particular favs). My missus has wrist injury issues. Sympathetically, I bought an electric grinder and a drip coffee maker. Given the way she brews coffee, I buy Trader Joe's Good Cup of Joe beans more than any other.

Question for you home cold brewers - Do you think it is cheaper to make your own cold brew compared to buying from a coffee shop?

For me, easily.

Especially because, like I said, I don't spend on nice beans for cold brew since the subtle flavors (at least to me) end up lost.

I use stuff as cheap as Folgers or up to 8 O'Clock for cold brew.

If I'm doing nice hot coffee when it cools off outside I'm using more expensive local beans.

My guesstimating is that I will get 120 oz+ of concentrated cold brew out of the 1# bag of Peet's Major Dickinson's Blend beans I bought for $7. IIRC, Dunkin or Starbucks charges around $3-4/serving (which might use 8-12 oz of the Brew).

I used to use a pitcher and cheese cloth. The coffee stand at the office has some kind of mesh bag they put the grounds in.

I bought a toddy a couple years ago and it works well. Although I’ve heard the OXO one is better

Cheese cloth worked ok, but I had to remove it and rinse halfway through as it got too clogged up to pass liquid. Still kind of a pain.

I just received a metal cylinder brew chamber from Amazon that fits into a 64 oz Mason jar. I'll report back once I finish my first batch.

I buy beans from a local shop, typically $12 for a bag. They coarse grind them for me. The bags are over filled, so I can get 4 cold brew batches on a bag. A batch yields ~32 oz of concentrate, which I probably turn into 4 days worth.

So, $12 gets 16 days of cold brew, so $0.75 per drink vs the $3+ the shop charges me for a cup (that's 1/3 ice any way)

VN Store

Back