The Bruce Pearl Thread

Would you be for Bruce Pearl's return if Martin is fired after next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the schedule.
3 losses to very good defensive teams on the road.
We sucked on the road last season.
We still suck on the road.
I'll write the season off if it continues the next 5 games at home.
It won't.

I kinda want to see improvements from year 1 to year 2. Not the same weaknesses.

The next home game is huge in terms of if the we are going to make the big tourny this year. We've got 2 shots left to get a good OOC win. Much more difficult without one.

Countdown? What countdown?

Two facts Vol fans need to get through their thick heads (the delusional ones):

1) Phil Fulmer is never coming back (as HC at least).

2) Bruce Pearl is never coming back.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been on the bring bruce back bandwagon since the very beginning. Unfortunately, I now believe after the football hire that the athletic department will never do something the fans want to happen. After Cuonzo, we will probably just get another coach that I am suppose to support just because he is our coach. :frown:

Reporters that vote placed us there based on a coaching change and not the relative talent across the league.

You think Kentucky was the only team in the conference more talented than we were?

Good ****ing Lord.

1. We'll see how good Cunzo is soon. He better make adjustments, we can't score.
2. He wouldn't leave for a big 10 school.

I've been on the bring bruce back bandwagon since the very beginning. Unfortunately, I now believe after the football hire that the athletic department will never do something the fans want to happen. After Cuonzo, we will probably just get another coach that I am suppose to support just because he is our coach. :frown:

Again, how in the world do you think UT can ever bring him back? Do you seriously not understand why he was let go and the circumstances? And don't give me the crap about how it was just a BBQ and start on some soapbox about Calipari, I mean the actual facts that UT had to deal with.

Again, how in the world do you think UT can ever bring him back? Do you seriously not understand why he was let go and the circumstances? And don't give me the crap about how it was just a BBQ and start on some soapbox about Calipari, I mean the actual facts that UT had to deal with.

I didn't think what he did was that big of a deal but would rather not talk about bringing him back.....we should support CCM and hope that he is the man to lead us to greater heights.

Know a better term for finishing 2nd in the SEC after being picked to finish 11th?

All i am saying is it's not like pearl left him no material to work with. And i consider overachieving going 22-8 (12-4) and getting a 2 seed in the tourney after inheriting a 14 win team the year before.

Last edited:
All i am saying is it's not like pearl left him no material to work with. And i consider overachieving going 22-8 (12-4) and getting a 2 seed in the tourney after inheriting a 14 win team the year before.

Peterson left Pearl much more than Pearl left Martin.

Peterson left Pearl much more than Pearl left Martin.

What? He left him what was considered at the time......a avg sec pg in cj Watson.........a slow undersized good 3 point shooter in Chris lofton.....a walk on that had minimal stats in jajuan smith......a 3rd string pg in Dane bradshaw.....and pretty much no inside presence.

To think he was left more is revisionist history.

Pearl was left with contributors. Martin started with nothing. Last year's starting lineup was the nightmare rotation from Pearl's last season.

What? He left him what was considered at the time......a avg sec pg in cj Watson.........a slow undersized good 3 point shooter in Chris lofton.....a walk on that had minimal stats in jajuan smith......a 3rd string pg in Dane bradshaw.....and pretty much no inside presence.

Revisionist is acting like guys such as Golden, Maymon, and McRae were even close to being contributors before Martin got here.

Pearl was left a freshman All-America in Lofton (13.2 ppg), who was already an obviously fantastic shooter considering he shot 48% and 46.5% from 3. Watson was a 12 point/5 assist guy already, and Patterson and Wingate were pretty good as well.

Looking at what Martin had:
Golden was a 3 ppg, 29% shooter (18% from 3) under Pearl. Percentages jumped to 44% and 39%, respectively.
Maymon was a 2.5 ppg big man who made 25%--not a typo--of his free throws.
McRae had averaged 1.8 ppg and shot 11% from 3 (which tripled).

Is it that hard to see why that roster was picked 11th? Pearl helped JaJuan, sure, but most of the other guys were good already. Martin HAD no go-to guy.

Martin HAS no go-to guy. Still.
Very true.
In your opinion:
Martin is like a broken record after each game.
Not getting the ball to the middle, not enough touches in the post.
What's the problem?
Are our guards selfish, uncoachable, do they lack the skill to get it there?
Only 29% of all our shots go through the post players.
This has to change with the lack of consistent jump shooters or perimeter shooters.
What's wrong with our guards?

Very true.
In your opinion:
Martin is like a broken record after each game.
Not getting the ball to the middle, not enough touches in the post.
What's the problem?
Are our guards selfish, uncoachable, do they lack the skill to get it there?
Only 29% of all our shots go through the post players.
This has to change with the lack of consistent jump shooters or perimeter shooters.
What's wrong with our guards?

We have no space on the court. The only place our guards have space is 40 ft from the rim, so they settle into running the motion out there. Our bigs are terrible at establishing their space too. For Stokes to be suck a big body he gets pushed off the block way too easy.

The closest thing is on crutches at the moment. But acting like Martin wasn't left an abortion of a roster is ludicrous.

The roster he was left is irrelevant. He has two recruiting classes on this team.

This isn't football trying to fill 30 starting spots. He has 5 starters and in two classes he doesn't have a go to guy. Making excuses about this roster based on the one he inherited is ludicrous.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree.

Bruce is not coming back. We are doomed to go through what I predicted before he was fired. The penalties of change are that you always know what you are losing, but, not what you are going to get.

Bruce Pearl brought our basketball program out of mediocrity for the first time in a long time. We were consistently relevant with him. At this point, UT should suck up any penalties that come with hiring Pearl, and just do it. Give him a short leash to start with, and let him make UT relevant again.

Pearl truly loves UT. I remember seeing him around campus, he seemed like the happiest person around. If anyone deserved a second chance, it is Pearl.

You people are crazy. Anyone that wants Pearl back is just not very smart when it comes to basketball. Martin is UT's coach now. If you don't like that...find another team to root for. Geez...

Jesus Christ guys...I was right there with you on Derek Dooley being fired, he had his chance, but my god yall gotta give this guy Cunzo more time before you filet him

No. People are ridiculous. They don't expect any drop off from Pearl to now. Anyone that even attempted to understand the situation would see that Martin pretty much started from scratch. This is silly. So sick of bandwagon fans. Instead of crying about everything just stop watching it because Pearl is NOT coming back. And to think some people would rather see us get in more NCAA trouble just to hire the guy back. What respected recruit would come here?

No. People are ridiculous. They don't expect any drop off from Pearl to now. Anyone that even attempted to understand the situation would see that Martin pretty much started from scratch. This is silly. So sick of bandwagon fans. Instead of crying about everything just stop watching it because Pearl is NOT coming back. And to think some people would rather see us get in more NCAA trouble just to hire the guy back. What respected recruit would come here?

I don't disagree with you, but don't play it off like recruits are full of honor and dignity. A sneaking dirty recruit is what got Pearl in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back