The Bruce Pearl Thread

Would you be for Bruce Pearl's return if Martin is fired after next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowly declining??? That's a bit of revisionist history if I ever heard it. It is somewhat unfair to judge his last year with the pending NCAA sanctions. The next to last year, he won 28 games and took us to the Elite 8 for the first time. That doesn't exactly look like a slow decline to me.

19-15 is declining to me. Tobias was a good pick up, Maymon and McRae eventually, but weren't good under him....but who else did he bring in his last couple if years? Blame the NCAA issues on him, that's his fault. Blame the Maymon injury on Martin, that's not his fault. With Maymon this would have been a totally different season, and anyone that says different doesn't know what they are talking about.

19-15 is declining to me. Tobias was a good pick up, Maymon and McRae eventually, but weren't good under him....but who else did he bring in his last couple if years? Blame the NCAA issues on him, that's his fault. Blame the Maymon injury on Martin, that's not his fault. With Maymon this would have been a totally different season, and anyone that says different doesn't know what they are talking about.

I guess if you call a ONE year that declined from the previous year that was unprecidented in school history, a slow decline, then I guess we simply have different definitions of what constitutes a "slow decline." I think your definition clashes with most anyone's definition of a slow decline. By the way, that single year of "slow decline" still put us in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: 1 person
People on here make it sound like Pearl shot someone, he lied about a recruit being at his house all he did was trust a young man and reached out to show some hospitality and guess what happened he got ripped by this new social media age. Someone took a picture with their cell phone and the rest is history. And yes he knew he had done a wrong thing because he also came back to the same committee on his own and admitted to them that the young man was there. That sounds to me like a man that was contrite and wanted to make right. Far as I'm concerned I will not hold something like this over a man's head for the rest of his life after he has apologized for it.

His last two classes including Kenny Hall, Goins (JUCO), Harris, Golden, and McRae. Then he was bringing in Kevin Ware which is averaging less than 4 points a game at Louisville (people said on here that Richardson was a better get than him, people didn't believe and laughed at the stars....) then he was bringing in Chris Jones, which wouldn't have qualified. And you guys think he would have made the tourney last year and this year, please explain, when he barely made it with Hopson and Harris...

But, even with Maymon, Martin's style of basketball is like watching paint dry compared to Pearl's. Pearl is just a great basketball mind and coach, he just made a few mistakes along the way that I am sure he now regrets.

If anyone thinks that Martin will take this program to the heights enjoyed by Pearl then they are just don't know a lot about basketball.

The minute that Pearl is eligible to coach again, Martin should be let go ASAP, and Pearl should be rehired.

Go Vols

People on here make it sound like Pearl shot someone, he lied about a recruit being at his house all he did was trust a young man and reached out to show some hospitality and guess what happened he got ripped by this new social media age. Someone took a picture with their cell phone and the rest is history. And yes he knew he had done a wrong thing because he also came back to the same committee on his own and admitted to them that the young man was there. That sounds to me like a man that was contrite and wanted to make right. Far as I'm concerned I will not hold something like this over a man's head for the rest of his life after he has apologized for it.
Google Jordan Adams and Pearl...that was even after he came back holier than thou.

But, even with Maymon, Martin's style of basketball is like watching paint dry compared to Pearl's. Pearl is just a great basketball mind and coach, he just made a few mistakes along the way that I am sure he now regrets.

If anyone thinks that Martin will take this program to the heights enjoyed by Pearl then they are just don't know a lot about basketball.

The minute that Pearl is eligible to coach again, Martin should be let go ASAP, and Pearl should be rehired.

Go Vols
If you wanted players like Kenny Hall, Kevin Ware and Chris Jones that couldn't get in then yeah let's bring him back.

So, you are complaining about Bruce's last recruiting class (2010) of Tobias Harris, Jordan McRae, and Trae Golden?

2009 class was Melvin Goins (Juco) and Kenny Hall, with Maymon's transfer into that class.

2008 had Hopson and Bobby Maze.

Again, I don't really see the decline.

!0 of the 15 players on our roster belong to Martin so if he can't find one player out of 10 to replace a 6'7" forward then he has some serious questions about his ability to recruit.

I miss pearl too , but the power brokers would never let him come back

I know that I am living in fantasy world, by thinking that Pearl will ever be the UT BB coach again, but his teams were fun to watch, played hard every play and I enjoyed UT Basketball then. Now, I just turn on the TV and watch less talented teams have their way with the Vols night in and night out.

I know that I am living in fantasy world, by thinking that Pearl will ever be the UT BB coach again, but his teams were fun to watch, played hard every play and I enjoyed UT Basketball then. Now, I just turn on the TV and watch less talented teams have their way with the Vols night in and night out.

lots of revisionist history here. i remember many complaints about how hard hopson, prince, williams, tatum, and others played.

Here is why I miss...winning. Guess what the NCAA ban would have lifted and we would have gone to as many NCAA tournament bids when it was over...I love how people here don't act like they have never bent the rules.

Well said!!! It was over a barbeque sandwich. Give him a break. Most anyone who thought they could get away with that would have done the same thing.

the best part the Bruce Pearl era? He went to Elite 8 because he decided to go to a grind it out, defensive, half court game.

his high flying, ally oop teams were not conducive to advancing far in any tournament. ever wonder why they blew a 20 point half time lead to OSU?

One of the power brokers and board members hired him to apparently keep him in Knoxville along with the governor who is still on good terms with him.

Yea Hackney hired him because he wanted him to stay in knoxville, had nothing to do with him seeing Bruce as a great marketing tool and salesman. Wow.

I loved the early Pearl years. He brought us to new levels, made us relevant, and was the main reason TBA looks like a NBA arena and we now have Pratt Pavilion. I will always appreciate those things. However, he really hurt this program and set it back by doing business the way he did. If you think the BBQ was the only shady thing he did you're in denial. Tobias Harris' recruitment was called one of the top 10 dirtiest recruitments of all time, whatever that tells ya. He had people looking to nail him for what he'd done, he should've been smarter. I'd have a lot more respect for him if 3 years ago he said, thanks UT but I'm leaving for...Iowa or whatever. We could've gone out at the time, hire a very good coach, and not have been set back like we were as a result of his antics.

JMO

lots of revisionist history here. i remember many complaints about how hard hopson, prince, williams, tatum, and others played.

As you know, you can never make everyone happy, so there will always be complaints regardless how well the team preforms, but overall after watching UT Basketball for over 30 years, I can easily say that Pearl was the best coach that I have ever had the pleasure to watch at UT, he got the most out of his players especially as the underdog in big games.

Thus, to call it revisionist history is simply an uninformed, uneducated, and ignorant opinion of UT Basketball. Did Pearl's teams and players lose games that they should have won? Yes, sometimes, but more often than not, Pearl's team was pulling off the upset.

For instance, the Vols achieved their first ever #1 ranking in the nation under Pearl by beating UM in Memphis with a much less talented team, this what I was referring to. That is history, and there has been nothing revise about it, it's just a fact..

Go Vols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back