The Brick Wall That Is Tennessee Baseball

Thanks.

Not that much difference in the grand scheme of things IMO. Edit: i misread their amount as being in the 2mil range

Do they count game personale as part of that?

USCe would have probably twice or 3 times as many game day workers are we do with their attendance and stadium size. Heck that alone might make up a lot of the difference

I wondered and asked the same once before. It takes much more resources to run Alex Box stadium packed with 11k Cajuns vs LNS and the 1500 who show up. So if those expenses are accounted for in these numbers, I'm not sure that tells us that LSU is better than us simply because they spend more money. We'd expect their gameday expenses to be higher.

Our facilities are below Arkansas, lsu, ole miss, miss state and USCe.

The rest are all about the same(I can't really comment on Alabama)

When seeing the success of vandy and florida it becomes apparent that the elitist of the elite in facilities isn't a requirement for becoming an elite winner

I've seen the plans for the new Vandy thing...it's nice, certainly going to be a heck of a lot bigger than what we have that's for sure.

Florida is Florida I don't know why they need nice facilities nobody goes, even basketball...Of course, they don't need an indoor facility other than just to have it for recruiting.

What's interesting to me regarding Arkansas is that their AD took in about 20 Million dollars less than us last year, and it was almost 30 million less the year before...we have the money to do whatever is necessary...to have one season in 15 with a winning record in the conference...that sort of closes the book on all of this in terms of the schools' investment in baseball as far as I'm concerned. They are willing to let it flounder because they think that not enough of us care to raise a stink about it.

Reactions: 2 people
“Just seeing it built like this every day and seeing everything refurbished, when you’re practicing you just take a step back and say, ‘Wow, a lot of people put money in this, a lot of people actually care about this program,’ ” junior shortstop Nick King said. “So it makes you want to play harder, it makes you want to win for the program.”

The renovation plan was announced the summer of 2013, just after Stricklin was hired, with the stipulation that $5 million would have to be raised privately. That happened within six months, and when the cost inevitably went a bit higher than projected, Georgia’s administration went along.

“I think it speaks to the commitment our university has to our athletic programs,” Stricklin said.

Bolded=Emphasis mine.

Read more here: Georgia aims to repay school’s financial investment | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

This is how it's supposed to work. Other than an administrative assistant he didn't seem to have for the first two years, what have they done to help the man?

I wish DeerPark would come back around and go over the promises the AD did not follow through on. Maybe there's things behind the scenes that they have done that we wouldn't see.

If I read this right, the cost of the 11.7 scholarships is a part of the calculated budget. If so, obviously, schools at which tuition would top $50k a year (Vandy being one) would use a huge part of the budget just to pay for the scholarships.

I do know that Vandy spends a whole lot on recruiting, if only because they have to recruit nationally. But at this point, many of their top recruits call them, not the other way around, especially the pitchers. That is also true for Florida.

FWIW.

Reactions: 1 person
According to Arkansas' wiki page, they, LSU, MSU and Ole Miss make a profit. Whether or not that is true I don't know...I'll look into it later, gotta make dinner.

I would bet that those three plus South Carolina have higher actual attendance for baseball than men's basketball.

I would bet that those three plus South Carolina have higher actual attendance for baseball than men's basketball.

That would be easy to find out actually. Thanks for weighing in...quick question...how far along are your renovations to the baseball facilities? tia.

2015 Average Attendance Basketball/Baseball

LSU Basketball Att. - 8,897
LSU Baseball Att. - 10, 726

Ole Miss Basketball Att. - 7,200
Ole Miss Baseball Att. - 8,028

MSU Basketball Att. - 6,291
MSU Basketball Att. - 6,958

SC Basketball Att. - 11,520
SC Baseball Att. - 6,946

2015 Average Attendance Basketball/Baseball

LSU Basketball Att. - 8,897
LSU Baseball Att. - 10, 726

Ole Miss Basketball Att. - 7,200
Ole Miss Baseball Att. - 8,028

MSU Basketball Att. - 6,291
MSU Basketball Att. - 6,958

SC Basketball Att. - 11,520
SC Baseball Att. - 6,946

Very revealing numbers. I would bet with certainty that those four schools are turning a profit in baseball.

2015 Attendance Average:
Arkansas basketball- 15,120
Arkansas Baseball- 8,290

I know basketball has a lot more, but when Arkansas is going good, they pack their place too.

That would be easy to find out actually. Thanks for weighing in...quick question...how far along are your renovations to the baseball facilities? tia.

Not very. But the plan is to have the new indoor stuff completed by the start of next season.

Very revealing numbers. I would bet with certainty that those four schools are turning a profit in baseball.

My emphasis was on actual attendance, not the farce that is paid attendance. MSU baseball FAR exceeds basketball. Same with USC.

My emphasis was on actual attendance, not the farce that is paid attendance. MSU baseball FAR exceeds basketball. Same with USC.

Actual attendance is good to look at but that doesn't mean actual $ coming

Baseball tickets are much cheaper in most cases I believe

Mizzou travel expenses among tops in SEC

Also, I found a better set of Data Here: How Much do D1 Colleges Spend on Baseball Programs? - Do It Yourself College Rankings

I'm not going to copy and paste the whole thing but the prelude to the data is worth reading.

What follows is ALL EXPENSES with the average for SEC schools being $2,933,940 for the years 2009-'13.

LSU - $6,089,840
USC - $4,136,912
VU - $3,838,984
OM - $3,305,115
AU - $3,186,144
Ark - $2,879,382
TAMU - $2,823,462
UF - $2,699,832
MSU - $2,512,589
UGA - $2,362,989
UA - $2,296,275
UT - $2,215,983
UK - $1,928,893
MO - $1,470,178

Again, the following college baseball expenses data from the Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE) will have the issues I mentioned earlier. Or as OPE states in its cautionary note “Please note that valid comparisons of athletics data are possible only with study and analysis of the conditions affecting each institution.”

If you are going to peruse all of the schools use the search box provided.

And...According to this...

NCAA | Finances | USA TODAY Sports (click the "conf" button)

...from just last year, our total revenue was $126,584,003...lol...5th in the conference. Ole Miss' total revenue was 87.6 Million. Roughly 40 million dollars less than UT but they spend over 1 million more on baseball.

So...keep telling me UT is committed to having a winning baseball team.

231 schools on that USA Today list...doesn't include Stanford, Vandy, etc...we're #9 in revenue.

We had a mediocre football team (based on Fulmer standards), the men's basketball team wasn't very good, like not even NIT good, and I guess the women's basketball team had one of the worst, if not the worst season ever...and we are #9 in the entire country in revenue for 2015.

Wow, do the administrators at Tennessee have it good or what?

It's obscene. Morally bankrupt even.

231 schools on that USA Today list...doesn't include Stanford, Vandy, etc...we're #9 in revenue.

We had a mediocre football team (based on Fulmer standards), the men's basketball team wasn't very good, like not even NIT good, and I guess the women's basketball team had one of the worst, if not the worst season ever...and we are #9 in the entire country in revenue for 2015.

Tennessee athletic department mired in $200 million debt | NCAA Football | Sporting News

The linked article is a couple of years old, but UT athletics has been digging itself out of debt the past few years. Things are getting much better but the renovations to Neyland Stadium, Thompson Boling Arena and the $45 million spent on constructing the Anderson Training Center came at a time UT was seeing decreasing football revenue and lots of payouts to fired football staffs.

Looks like the mess is almost cleaned up so hopefully better days are ahead.

Reactions: 1 person

These revenue numbers are staggering. I have not researched athletic department finances and did not know there were now 100 million dollar revenues for college athletics. I was curious how many companies worldwide have revenues over 100 million, but I have yet to find definitive numbers, but of course that would be impossible with all of the private companies that may withhold that info.

Tennessee athletic department mired in $200 million debt | NCAA Football | Sporting News

The linked article is a couple of years old, but UT athletics has been digging itself out of debt the past few years. Things are getting much better but the renovations to Neyland Stadium, Thompson Boling Arena and the $45 million spent on constructing the Anderson Training Center came at a time UT was seeing decreasing football revenue and lots of payouts to fired football staffs.

Looks like the mess is almost cleaned up so hopefully better days are ahead.

Yeah. sure.

These revenue numbers are staggering. I have not researched athletic department finances and did not know there were now 100 million dollar revenues for college athletics. I was curious how many companies worldwide have revenues over 100 million, but I have yet to find definitive numbers, but of course that would be impossible with all of the private companies that may withhold that info.

It's stupid. Would you like to know how much Tennessee spends on scholarships for ALL of athletics out of that 126 Million?

Yes, well I think I would.

10-15 Million.

UT Athletics Provides Financial Update - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

EXPENSES Total ($)
Salaries & Benefits 37,285,629
Scholarships 9,529,062
Operations 38,970,147
Debt Services 10,523,881
Sales Tax 3,044,448
City/County Tax 1,552,922
Arena Deficit 1,720,322
University Support 6,392,000
Camp Expenses 1,448,241
TOTAL EXPENSES 110,466,652

During our down time of UT football this is what recruiting for football looked like.

Tennessee topped the nation in football recruiting expenditures in four of the past five years for which spending reports are available. The data covers the 2008-09 school year through the 2012-13 school year.

Vols top nation in football recruiting expenditures

Last edited:
With all of that money for recruiting, you would think Dooley could of come up with one offensive lineman.

I don't know the validity of this site, but it shows that baseball and rowing are pretty much equal on team operating expenses.

Search Results for "university of tennessee"

That goes back to 2010...I'll give it a look...tomorrow.

I've done my best here to get to the nitty gritty, if people want to blame it all on the coaching it's fine by me, it's all I can afford anymore anyway. I'll still watch and root for the boys even if the Administration hasn't proven itself worthy in almost any sport we field.

Big to do down in Athens, maybe we should root for rain? :)

It don't cost UT anything.

VN Store

Back