The 2023-2024 Carolina/Duke basketball thread.the"will Duke get a higher seed than 5?" Edition.

It does seem to me that the west bracket games should be reversed, but it is what it is. To me, it would make more sense to give Carolina the 7pm EST game and Arizona the late game, which would be a fairly normal start time for them, but maybe the argument is that would benefit Arizona over Clemson, whereas it’s not as big of a deal between North Carolina and Alabama.

It does seem to me that the west bracket games should be reversed, but it is what it is. To me, it would make more sense to give Carolina the 7pm EST game and Arizona the late game, which would be a fairly normal start time for them, but maybe the argument is that would benefit Arizona over Clemson, whereas it’s not as big of a deal between North Carolina and Alabama.
It doesn’t make sense at all in that regard. Also, Arizona tipped off on Saturday @9:30am Arizona time. That’s ridiculous for the tournament to be scheduled like that . I think it was 10:30 local time in Salt Lake. You’d think that to maximize viewership they would put the PAC12/Big 12 team on later.

Reactions: Regulator
I get Purdue-Gonzaga by name and storyline alone getting the better time slot compared to Tennessee-Creighton (dumb fact: I knew the Oakland Golden Grizzlies were from the Detroit suburb years before I knew Creighton was in Nebraska).

As for that Seton Hall game, my mom taped the second half and I watched it the next morning while getting ready for school. I had to do that routine a lot actually. She would also coax me out of bed by putting on Sportscenter downstairs. When Bobby Hurley had his accident and upon Jordan’s first retirement, I literally fell down the stairs trying to get in front of the TV

I get Purdue-Gonzaga by name and storyline alone getting the better time slot compared to Tennessee-Creighton (dumb fact: I knew the Oakland Golden Grizzlies were from the Detroit suburb years before I knew Creighton was in Nebraska).

As for that Seton Hall game, my mom taped the second half and I watched it the next morning while getting ready for school. I had to do that routine a lot actually. She would also coax me out of bed by putting on Sportscenter downstairs. When Bobby Hurley had his accident and upon Jordan’s first retirement, I literally fell down the stairs trying to get in front of the TV
The good ole days…

The level of delusion in the bball forum is unbelievable sometimes. There’s an active discussion going on where some are discussing how the Vols are being screwed on purpose w/ a late tip time on Friday . These Thursday/Friday Sweet 16 tip offs have been taking place forever. I remember Duke vs Seton Hall in 1992 was after 10 pm on a Thursday. It was a huge deal bc I got to stay up at 10 years old on a school night. Duke was the biggest draw is college basketball as they went for back to back titles, Thursday 10:20 EST tip off must’ve been a conspiracy then too. Sorry, rant over .
I laughed at that too. I think the issue is that UT fans don't have much experience having an active interest in Sweet 16 games, so they've never really paid attention to the tip times before.

I’m just finishing watching the Carolina/Duke game in Cameron in 2009 on Youtube. I’ll watch the 2009 game in the Dean Dome tomorrow night.

Just a heads up for any of you guys that might be interested. I just logged into Netflix for the first time in several days, and one of the featured picks that popped up for me was the documentary, “I Hate Christian Laettner”.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for any of you guys that might be interested. I just logged into Netflix for the first time in several days, and one of the featured picks that popped up for me was the documentary, “I Hate Cristian Laettner”.
Saw that one and the one about the Fab 5. Guess they’re just promoting their March Madness related programming.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Saw that one and the one about the Fab 5. Guess they’re just promoting their March Madness related programming.
I loved the one about the Fab 5. Punked those guys 3 times in one year. Not many people remember that Duke played them in Cameron in December of 92 after Laettner and Brian Davis had graduated. Michigan talked all kinds of $hit before that game and Hurley and Grant Hill beat em up pretty good. I was at that one as a ball boy sitting on the floor. Howard talked. A lot.

This was one of the greatest moments as a Carolina fan. 7 years ago. Mayes game winner to beat Kentucky and send Carolina to the Final Four where they won it all.
FB_IMG_1711504995285.jpg

Reactions: Regulator
Crazy. I posted this earlier tonight, and my post appears to have disappeared. ”Survive And Advance”, the documentary about the 1983 Wolfpack, is now on Netflix as well. If any of you haven’t seen it before, I highly recommend it. It is excellent.

Reactions: NashVol11
Crazy. I posted this earlier tonight, and my post appears to have disappeared. ”Survive And Advance”, the documentary about the 1983 Wolfpack, is now on Netflix as well. If any of you haven’t seen it before, I highly recommend it. It is excellent.
That’s a great one. My gf knows current CBB well enough but I wouldn’t describe her as a huge sports fan, and she is obsessed with Survive and Advance regardless.

I was sick last week so didn’t get to go down to Atlanta to see family like I had planned, but the small silver lining is that I was in town and recovered to go to Duke-JMU.

My previous in-person NCAAT games were Duke-Michigan State in 2019 and Tennessee-FAU last year, so it was nice to see a win for once

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I was sick last week so didn’t get to go down to Atlanta to see family like I had planned, but the small silver lining is that I was in town and recovered to go to Duke-JMU.

My previous in-person NCAAT games were Duke-Michigan State in 2019 and Tennessee-FAU last year, so it was nice to see a win for once
Glad you got to see a W. That 2019 game vs Michigan St isn’t quite the level of 99 UConn for me, but it’s not far. I’m still baffled how that team lost to Michigan St.

Reactions: NashVol11
Glad you got to see a W. That 2019 game vs Michigan St isn’t quite the level of 99 UConn for me, but it’s not far. I’m still baffled how that team lost to Michigan St.
That one will always bother me. Our seats were also higher up behind Duke’s (second half) basket, so the last possession with RJ was right in front of us.

At the buzzer, my gf and I looked at each other and she just said, “Let’s get the f*** outta here” and I appreciated her so much in that moment

That one will always bother me. Our seats were also higher up behind Duke’s (second half) basket, so the last possession with RJ was right in front of us.

At the buzzer, my gf and I looked at each other and she just said, “Let’s get the f*** outta here” and I appreciated her so much in that moment
Hahah. I bet so.

How are we feeling today Heel fans ?

Glad to see another day at my advanced age.

I'm looking forward to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games this week. I don't fear any team. That's just not the way I'm built. I think Carolina has a very good shot of beating any team other than UConn in a single game. I would give us about a 25% to 33% chance against UConn, but that's good enough to get the job done.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back