The 2023-2024 Carolina/Duke basketball thread.the"will Duke get a higher seed than 5?" Edition.

Pennheel

Take it one day at a time! GO HEELS!
46-41 Heels struggling with Radford at halftime,but holds the halftime lead. The positive is Bacot with 13 points and 9 boards so far.

Heels win 86-70.... UNC played very relaxed for about 30 minutes until Radford ran out of steam and didn't have the athletes Carolina does. Until Tennessee,Carolina has a pretty favorable schedule. They can't afford to overlook anyone,though.

Heels win 86-70.... UNC played very relaxed for about 30 minutes until Radford ran out of steam and didn't have the athletes Carolina does. Until Tennessee,Carolina has a pretty favorable schedule. They can't afford to overlook anyone,though.
UNC basically has a completely new team this year, which is a good thing. It will take them some time to figure out their rotations. They actually played pretty well in the first half other than too many turnovers (what else is new?). Radford made a ridiculous number of very difficult shots in the first half, which kept the game closer than it otherwise would have been. They couldn't sustain that in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennheel
I guess if there weren’t numerous posters here on VN that ALSO like discussing non-Vol related sports topics (such as this) those threads would go unvisited and, eventually, would just fall off the page.

Big game tomorrow night in Durham. Duke takes on Arizona in a rare non-conference big game in CIS. This is a home and home series where Duke will travel to Arizona next season. This is something I’m excited about and something that I feel has been missing for quite sometime for Duke during the last decade or 2 under K. There once was a time where Duke played on the road pretty much anywhere and now that has been replaced w/ Holiday tournaments, “neutral” site game in MSG and a champions classic in Chicago or Indy vs Michigan State, Kansas or Kentucky. In 1992, the year Duke won back to back championships they played true road games at Michigan (fab 5), LSU (Shaq) and a at top 5 UCLA squad. Went 3-0. BTW, for those that come into this thread and complain about some of us having 2 teams, that’s not google that gave me that info. That’s just how long and how closely I’ve been a fan.

This is going to be an exciting season for Duke, the pieces are in place for a Final 4 run. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a rim protector that Lively brought to the team last year. I think Christian Reeves the 7’1” sophomore will grow into that role eventually and be able to get some meaningful minutes and spell Flip. Filipowski is a guy whose game reminds me of a more physical Laettner. That’s not hyperbolic, his game looks like CL. Don’t misunderstand me, not saying he’s as good, but his game is similar. He could very well win ACCPOY and will be in contention for the Naismith NPOY. The backcourt is as deep as any in the country and that’s what makes or breaks teams in March. Roach and Proctor returning was huge and the addition of McCain and Foster gives Scheyer a lot of options to find out what lineups work the best. The quiet, unsung, doing everything guy is Mark Mitchell. If he can stay healthy he will make this team reach its full potential. He’s the guy that you’ll see his stat line at the end of the game and somehow it will be 13, 7 and 5 and while locking down the best perimeter player on the other other squad.

So if you couldn’t tell, I’m very high on this Duke team. I think Scheyer has put together a great staff. The poaching of Jai Lucas away from UK paid dividends last season as Duke’s defense was the best it had been in years. Anything less than a Final 4 for this Duke team will be a letdown . That may be unfair, but that’s the deal, and that’s what comes with the territory when you have the talent, experience and resources Duke has.

I’m not sure what to think of that group in Chapel Hill. Dr. Bacot returns for his 8th year and I’m sure is pleased that the writers strike is over so he can start receiving his SAG checks again from The Outer Banks. UNC should be better overall, they had a good portal additions but… if they don’t finish higher than 4th in the ACC or… get higher than a 6th seed in the NCAA Hubert might be in trouble. I expect them to be in the hunt in the ACC and Hubert will live to coach another year.

Let’s Get It!
#GTHC GTH

Big game tomorrow night in Durham. Duke takes on Arizona in a rare non-conference big game in CIS. This is a home and home series where Duke will travel to Arizona next season. This is something I’m excited about and something that I feel has been missing for quite sometime for Duke during the last decade or 2 under K. There once was a time where Duke played on the road pretty much anywhere and now that has been replaced w/ Holiday tournaments, “neutral” site game in MSG and a champions classic in Chicago or Indy vs Michigan State, Kansas or Kentucky. In 1992, the year Duke won back to back championships they played true road games at Michigan (fab 5), LSU (Shaq) and a at top 5 UCLA squad. Went 3-0. BTW, for those that come into this thread and complain about some of us having 2 teams, that’s not google that gave me that info. That’s just how long and how closely I’ve been a fan.

This is going to be an exciting season for Duke, the pieces are in place for a Final 4 run. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a rim protector that Lively brought to the team last year. I think Christian Reeves the 7’1” sophomore will grow into that role eventually and be able to get some meaningful minutes and spell Flip. Filipowski is a guy whose game reminds me of a more physical Laettner. That’s not hyperbolic, his game looks like CL. Don’t misunderstand me, not saying he’s as good, but his game is similar. He could very well win ACCPOY and will be in contention for the Naismith NPOY. The backcourt is as deep as any in the country and that’s what makes or breaks teams in March. Roach and Proctor returning was huge and the addition of McCain and Foster gives Scheyer a lot of options to find out what lineups work the best. The quiet, unsung, doing everything guy is Mark Mitchell. If he can stay healthy he will make this team reach its full potential. He’s the guy that you’ll see his stat line at the end of the game and somehow it will be 13, 7 and 5 and while locking down the best perimeter player on the other other squad.

So if you couldn’t tell, I’m very high on this Duke team. I think Scheyer has put together a great staff. The poaching of Jai Lucas away from UK paid dividends last season as Duke’s defense was the best it had been in years. Anything less than a Final 4 for this Duke team will be a letdown . That may be unfair, but that’s the deal, and that’s what comes with the territory when you have the talent, experience and resources Duke has.

I’m not sure what to think of that group in Chapel Hill. Dr. Bacot returns for his 8th year and I’m sure is pleased that the writers strike is over so he can start receiving his SAG checks again from The Outer Banks. UNC should be better overall, they had a good portal additions but… if they don’t finish higher than 4th in the ACC or… get higher than a 6th seed in the NCAA Hubert might be in trouble. I expect them to be in the hunt in the ACC and Hubert will live to coach another year.

Let’s Get It!
#GTHC GTH
Dr. Bacot… I laffed.

Dr. Bacot… I laffed.

Yeah,I got a good chuckle out of that with the SAG checks and him being in his 8th year for good measure.

I do agree that while many pundits are picking Tennessee due to their much improved offense to win it all,with all of Dukes returns,they're a well oiled machine,and have the best front court in college basketball. You can't count them out unless it's an upset in the tourney.

Let’s Get It!
#GTHC GTH
Glad to see them playing true road games out of conference again. It’s good for college basketball.

Tommy Lloyd is a heck of a coach - his guys will be ready. I struggled with who to wager on ATS so finally I just went with the over. LOL

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

Let’s Get It!
#GTHC GTH
I’m similarly excited and optimistic about the team this year. I didn’t get to watch the Dartmouth game, and I really have no idea about the freshmen. I’m just glad that we finally have some experience returning in the starting lineup and with guys that will play at the next level. I don’t know the last time that was true. Tre Jones coming back was nice, but he didn’t have much around him. Grayson Allen? Kennard? Usually it’s just one guy… maybe two. Not sure on Roach’s prospects, but Flip, Proctor, and Mitchell will all play at the next level. Scheyer is more settled into the role. I’m expecting big things… the tournament is always a crap shoot to some degree, but if they’re healthy and in a groove, I think you can pencil them in to Phoenix.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I’m similarly excited and optimistic about the team this year. I didn’t get to watch the Dartmouth game, and I really have no idea about the freshmen. I’m just glad that we finally have some experience returning in the starting lineup and with guys that will play at the next level. I don’t know the last time that was true. Tre Jones coming back was nice, but he didn’t have much around him. Grayson Allen? Kennard? Usually it’s just one guy… maybe two. Not sure on Roach’s prospects, but Flip, Proctor, and Mitchell will all play at the next level. Scheyer is more settled into the role. I’m expecting big things… the tournament is always a crap shoot to some degree, but if they’re healthy and in a groove, I think you can pencil them in to Phoenix.
Keep your eye on Caleb Foster. I think he is going to be a very good one.

Reactions: Volfan8282
Well that was an interesting half. Arizona looks good. I didn’t think Duke played that poorly. Zona just seemed quicker to the ball. More physical. I like how Lloyd’s teams play.

It’s only November, but the last few K coached teams and last year’s Scheyer’s coached team struggled against physical defenses.

Good finish by Arizona. It looks like Caleb Love is where he needs to be. Good defense and clutch free throws to close it out.

That was a high quality game for November. Hate to be on the losing end of it but will help later in the year. Arizona is legit. That wasn’t a fluke win.

Reactions: Pennheel
It also reminded me of a Elite 8/Final Four type game. Arizona has that kind of team with a solid defense and a very underrated coach. I don't see it as a fluke either,but one of those games that will be a learning experience for Duke.

Reactions: Volfan8282
I didn’t see any of the game. Disappointing to start the season like this, but the good news is that it’s November 10th.

VN Store

Back