The 2023-2024 Carolina/Duke basketball thread.the"will Duke get a higher seed than 5?" Edition.

This is the best we’ve looked in a good while. Had some stretches two years ago, but this is more like ‘16-‘17 squad.

Reactions: Pennheel
Zeigler has to hit that 3 . You just have to if you want to have something special happen.

Bad loss for Duke. Raucous crowd but that’s not a good Arkansas team. Missing their leading scorer. Mitchell has to become an average shooter. He’s a liability otherwise. Procter was off. Power looked good and then didn’t get much run in the 2nd half. Arkansas turnovers at the end made it look much closer. Blah.

Bad loss for Duke. Raucous crowd but that’s not a good Arkansas team. Missing their leading scorer. Mitchell has to become an average shooter. He’s a liability otherwise. Procter was off. Power looked good and then didn’t get much run in the 2nd half. Arkansas turnovers at the end made it look much closer. Blah.
Duke is missing an inside rim protector like a Lively. There is no offensive identity, way too many guys watching the ball waiting for something to happen, which means there are not many assist on baskets. Proctor is coming across lazy in certain stints where he’ll turn the ball over with a one handed weak pass or he won’t use his legs on jump shots. This Duke team has regressed this season in terms of where they were late last season.

Duke is missing an inside rim protector like a Lively. There is no offensive identity, way too many guys watching the ball waiting for something to happen, which means there are not many assist on baskets. Proctor is coming across lazy in certain stints where he’ll turn the ball over with a one handed weak pass or he won’t use his legs on jump shots. This Duke team has regressed this season in terms of where they were late last season.
Agree. Not sure if someone like Reeves could turn into that defensive presence. Seemed like it was a lot of “Hey Jeremy, go drive into the lane and get us a basket” type of offense.

I know Flip had 26 and 10 so this isn’t a great time to make this comment. But, I’m staying away from him if I’m an NBA franchise. He’s slow footed, foul prone, and his range isn’t that spectacular. He hits roughly 30% from 3pt. He seems to struggle against athletic teams and a ton of his points come from put backs and stuff that won’t fly in the NBA. I don’t see him succeeding at the next level.

They just didn’t look good as a team. Missed a ton of shots around the rim. McCain and Foster were 1-12 combined. Some of that is freshmen playing on the road for the first time. But Mitchell and Proctor were 5-20. Team shot 36% overall and missed 10 free throws. Not a great recipe for success.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Agree. Not sure if someone like Reeves could turn into that defensive presence. Seemed like it was a lot of “Hey Jeremy, go drive into the lane and get us a basket” type of offense.

I know Flip had 26 and 10 so this isn’t a great time to make this comment. But, I’m staying away from him if I’m an NBA franchise. He’s slow footed, foul prone, and his range isn’t that spectacular. He hits roughly 30% from 3pt. He seems to struggle against athletic teams and a ton of his points come from put backs and stuff that won’t fly in the NBA. I don’t see him succeeding at the next level.

They just didn’t look good as a team. Missed a ton of shots around the rim. McCain and Foster were 1-12 combined. Some of that is freshmen playing on the road for the first time. But Mitchell and Proctor were 5-20. Team shot 36% overall and missed 10 free throws. Not a great recipe for success.
Mitchell and Proctor are the reason that Duke lost. Plain and simple. Their effort, especially Proctor’s, is troubling bc he’s been lazy and careless at times with the basketball. Mitchell has to better, or this team that has the capability of being a final 4 team could be out first weekend .

Mitchell and Proctor are the reason that Duke lost. Plain and simple. Their effort, especially Proctor’s, is troubling bc he’s been lazy and careless at times with the basketball. Mitchell has to better, or this team that has the capability of being a final 4 team could be out first weekend .
Yep, I said your last sentence verbatim to myself during the game. Mitchell is the main difference maker for this team. Proctor seems like he’s always playing at about 60% and cares more about how he looks doing something on the court rather than just getting the job done in the best and most efficient way. I hope Scheyer can sort it all out.

I've already enjoyed watching this year's Carolina team more than last year's team. By this point last season, I knew Carolina was in for a crap season. By the end of the regular season, it was hard to even watch the games.

I've already enjoyed watching this year's Carolina team more than last year's team. By this point last season, I knew Carolina was in for a crap season. By the end of the regular season, it was hard to even watch the games.

Yeah, I think everyone hitting the transfer portal last year was the right decision. Hubert has the players who fit his system this year,and so far,it's lead to entertaining Carolina basketball.

Yeah, I think everyone hitting the transfer portal last year was the right decision. Hubert has the players who fit his system this year,and so far,it's lead to entertaining Carolina basketball.
Cadeaux has made a HUGE impact on this year's team. Carolina's biggest achilles heel for about the last 20 years has been that they turn the ball over WAY too much. The addition of Cadeaux has given them another primary ball handler in addition to Davis. He is a fantastic distributor of the ball without turnovers. He also has allowed Davis to play off the ball when Cadeaux is on the floor. He does, however, need to improve his free throw shooting and work hard on his outside shot.

Carolina is at #9 in the new AP Poll and #10 in the Coaches Poll. Duke dropped to #22 in the AP Poll and #21 in the Coaches Poll.

It’s early, but I think Cadeau has enough things to work on that it will be in his best interest to play at least one more year in Chapel Hill.

It’s early, but I think Cadeau has enough things to work on that it will be in his best interest to play at least one more year in Chapel Hill.
That’s pretty much the standard in Chapel Hill. You guys usually just hang on to guys for the better part of a decade lately.

UConn has hit nearly everything here in the second half. It doesn't matter what they throw up. The basket is looking like an ocean. Carolina needs to work it inside at will.

I know this is slightly off topic, as this is a basketball thread. However, Duke's hiring of Manny Diaz as their new head football coach is horrible. He already proved that he can't get the job done in the ACC conference at one of the very easiest schools in the entire nation to recruit. They think he's going to get the job done at Duke? I give him 4-5 years only because Duke has zero expectations in football. It would be 2 years at any other program.

I know this is slightly off topic, as this is a basketball thread. However, Duke's hiring of Manny Diaz as their new head football coach is horrible. He already proved that he can't get the job done in the ACC conference at one of the very easiest schools in the entire nation to recruit. They think he's going to get the job done at Duke? I give him 4-5 years only because Duke has zero expectations in football. It would be 2 years at any other program.

I agree. I think Duke just settled for a name,and a bad one at that,but since they're a "basketball school",they'll live with it. I'll never forget the sleazy move where he accepted the coaching job at Temple after being DC at Miami. Mark Richt leaves and he let's Temple know he's no longer interested and goes back to Miami,and we all saw what happened

The coaches are clearly having to re teach Flip the importance of passing out a double/Triple team, but progress has been made the last two games.

You don’t have to be great in December, you have to be great in March…

VN Store

Back