That's racist!

Thug...a violent person, especially a criminal.
These are young black educated men playing basketball so no they aren't thugs. And if you're not informed the word thug is often used in place of the N word towards African Americans to make it seem ok. Have some decency find another word and stop taking it as a joke.
I'm so sorry snowflake. Being educated doesn't prevent you from being a thug or punk. No one has refered the term thug to race except you. You can take that woke 💩 elsewhere. They are what they are, " goons", " punks" , " thugs" or all of the above.

That’s kinda the whole point, isn’t it? That was perfectly acceptable language at one point and over time language has evolved. Now it’s not something anyone says unless they’re really old and stubborn. You’re free to keep talking however you want, but you’re fighting a losing battle. You can either choose to be that grumpy old man who people can’t quite tell if he’s racist or not or you can not. It doesn’t matter to me, but that’s the choice you’re faced with.

It must be perfectly acceptable in 2022 as well since that is still their name.

It must be perfectly acceptable in 2022 as well since that is still their name.
Not really how it works. Everyone knows they’ve been named that forever so intent is clearly benign. If a new organization started in 2022 with that name, they’d get looked at sideways. More relevant (and concrete) than that though, if someone says “colored” now in conversation you’d cringe and if they’re old enough, you’d probably give them the benefit of the doubt and if they’re young enough to know better, you’d probably assume they’re racist.

Not really how it works. Everyone knows they’ve been named that forever so intent is clearly benign. If a new organization started in 2022 with that name, they’d get looked at sideways. More relevant (and concrete) than that though, if someone says “colored” now in conversation you’d cringe and if they’re old enough, you’d probably give them the benefit of the doubt and if they’re young enough to know better, you’d probably assume they’re racist.
Even if you say that’s offensive now, that’s clearly referencing someone’s skin color as a way to identify another person. Calling someone a thug is about behavior, not skin color. It’s a stretch to say otherwise. This is just like all the people getting upset over people using the ok sign which turned out to be a hoax. People bought it hook, line, and sphincter though.

NY Giants need to change their name. Giants is offensive and derogatory towards those with giantism. Get ahead of the game!

Buccaneers too. They were essentially hired pirates. Savages who pillaged and plundered innocent folks.

And don't get me started on the Raiders.

While we are it, Georgia needs to change from bulldogs as it is clearly a reference to ugly women. Shame on them.

Recurring tactic of the left. Manufacture a big deal with great offense at the use of some word - but the real underlying issue is not wanting people to point out the truth about them with that word. Looters was another recent example - had to be changed, and national media dutifully complied. Get all the energy spent arguing over a term, and get people to stop talking about the fact that looting is happening, and who is doing it. Stop discussing that violence (thuggery) is happening and who is doing it, instead argue about the "hateful, terrible, dog-whistle" of a word that's being used to describe it. Hate crimes directed at whites in particular are not hate crimes by virtue of defining it away - and all of a sudden we're not talking about 50% being committed by 13%. Good protestors (the ones advocating for the leftist agenda of the day), even though they are burning buildings and destroying minority-owned businesses - all ok, call it mostly peaceful protests - the issue is no longer _what_ they're doing, but _why_ they're doing it. How convenient. Meanwhile there's always a bunch high-minded virtue credit collectors out there buying into all this deflecting BS and chastising others with "be better" - ie, be like me. Lenin had a good phrase for them. Personally have no interest in getting drawn into this quicksand with people who are utterly convinced of their unfailing righteousness - pretty sure I've never posted over here and have no intention of doing it again. I simply find it nauseating to have it inflicted on me against my will when I'm just trying to read a damn forum about basketball. Some things are blatant and obvious and deserve to be called out no matter where - like if someone was supporting a child abuser - but this was not one of things.

Reactions: Boca Vol
When are the virtue signaling Word Warriors gonna organize against “cracker” and especially “saltine” from being included in the vernacular? They are derogatory, offensive terms and it is outrageous that non-whites are allowed to use them as they freely express themselves. Disgusting! It’s time to cancel Nabisco and Keebler if they continue to sell items with those words on their packaging.

Recurring tactic of the left. Manufacture a big deal with great offense at the use of some word - but the real underlying issue is not wanting people to point out the truth about them with that word. Looters was another recent example - had to be changed, and national media dutifully complied. Get all the energy spent arguing over a term, and get people to stop talking about the fact that looting is happening, and who is doing it. Stop discussing that violence (thuggery) is happening and who is doing it, instead argue about the "hateful, terrible, dog-whistle" of a word that's being used to describe it. Hate crimes directed at whites in particular are not hate crimes by virtue of defining it away - and all of a sudden we're not talking about 50% being committed by 13%. Good protestors (the ones advocating for the leftist agenda of the day), even though they are burning buildings and destroying minority-owned businesses - all ok, call it mostly peaceful protests - the issue is no longer _what_ they're doing, but _why_ they're doing it. How convenient. Meanwhile there's always a bunch high-minded virtue credit collectors out there buying into all this deflecting BS and chastising others with "be better" - ie, be like me. Lenin had a good phrase for them. Personally have no interest in getting drawn into this quicksand with people who are utterly convinced of their unfailing righteousness - pretty sure I've never posted over here and have no intention of doing it again. I simply find it nauseating to have it inflicted on me against my will when I'm just trying to read a damn forum about basketball. Some things are blatant and obvious and deserve to be called out no matter where - like if someone was supporting a child abuser - but this was not one of things.

My favorite pet peeve to come out of the last 3-4 years is when people started referring to drawings on the streets as “ MURALS “ Lol .

Reactions: munsterlander
Even if you say that’s offensive now, that’s clearly referencing someone’s skin color as a way to identify another person. Calling someone a thug is about behavior, not skin color. It’s a stretch to say otherwise. This is just like all the people getting upset over people using the ok sign which turned out to be a hoax. People bought it hook, line, and sphincter though.
I apologize. My analogy wasn’t perfect. The reason it’s problematic in this case is because it’s a racist trope. It’s like calling a Jewish person greedy. Individual people of every race can be greedy and it doesn’t specifically say anything about the person’s ethnicity. However, you don’t do it because that’s an antisemitic stereotype. This is the same thing. Even if you don’t have that intent, it’s going to get viewed through that lens because of the history of it.

Much easier to just avoid the whole thing and find a different word.

Sure thing.
Trombone players: It’s time to bury Henry Fillmore’s “Lassus Trombone.”

Lassus Trombone was part of a suite of works by Henry Fillmore known as "The Cullu'd Family", with each song within named in some variation.

The larger band community, upon research and recommendation, has also decided that performance of Robert Russell Bennett's "Suite of Old American Dances" be performed in absentia of the "Cakewalk" movement because of its origins and meaning.
What the music education community should be campaigning for... and in a radical way.... is to make autotune illegal, and to have the inventors thereof killed in the most painful way imaginable.

Thug...a violent person, especially a criminal.
These are young black educated men playing basketball so no they aren't thugs. And if you're not informed the word thug is often used in place of the N word towards African Americans to make it seem ok. Have some decency find another word and stop taking it as a joke.
Educated? LOL Some are, but those that are there to check a box to go to the NBA don't necessarily fit that moniker.

And untrigger yourself... thug is not a racist term, snowflake.

I apologize. My analogy wasn’t perfect. The reason it’s problematic in this case is because it’s a racist trope. It’s like calling a Jewish person greedy. Individual people of every race can be greedy and it doesn’t specifically say anything about the person’s ethnicity. However, you don’t do it because that’s an antisemitic stereotype. This is the same thing. Even if you don’t have that intent, it’s going to get viewed through that lens because of the history of it.

Much easier to just avoid the whole thing and find a different word.
I do get what you’re saying. I think it’s a bunch of crap that people would take offense if I call someone a thug due to their behavior and then it would be ok if I called someone else of a different color the same word when they behave the exact same way. To me I’m just calling balls and strikes without regard for skin color but I do agree that doesn’t mean people won’t try to misconstrue my meaning.

Reactions: Col_Cathcart

VN Store

Back