That's racist!

Plus it's obvious that they are coached to create overly aggressive contact and dare the refs to call it. The kid that speared JJJ below the waist....dirty. This isn't football and could really hurt someone not wearing pads.

The kid that grabbed Uros and yanked him down...dirty and could have caused an ankle or leg injury. This isn't jiu jitsu or wrestling.
Constant shoves in the back on rebounds. This will happen occasionally but LSU repeatedly does it.

There are ways to play bully ball within the rules and without being dirty. I also don't like how often opposing guards extend their off ball arm and shove ZZ back when he is pressing them. Should be a foul every time and I haven't seen it called once.

Etymology and Connotative meanings evolve. Moron, idiot, dunce and retarded we’re all originally scientific terms that referred to impaired or delayed intellect. Over time, they moved into common use, and obtained derogatory connotations. Those words were then retired as scientific terms, and also put on the shelf as acceptable ways for a decent human to refer to someone with impaired intelligence. That didn’t happen recently. Those terms were phased out over a century, and not without many people innocently using them incorrectly along the way, and many using them cruelly. Frankly the point is not someone’s intention, as it’s very often hard to discern. The point is that humans should be open to accepting the changes in language over time. Thug is currently perceived as coded language used by white society in place of worse terms. While not every user of the word means it that way, everyone should be open to changing behavior that has developed into something commonly perceived as a slight. Find a different word.
So without putting race into it what is a thug to you?

U suffer from the same ailment that has us calling one of our Pro FB teams "The Washington Football Team". Put down the daisies and stop trying to create problems where they aint.

To be fair, Redskins was a racial slur and needed to be eliminated but they chose a horrible replacement.

Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc. are not racist and need to be left alone unless their mascot is an insulting caricature like Chief Wahoo. And they could have just changed him to a badass looking Native American warrior and that would have been fixed along with maybe changing the nickname and team name to the Cleveland Natives....but then the mascot would have probably been a fat, white factory worker.

To be fair, Redskins was a racial slur and needed to be eliminated but they chose a horrible replacement.

Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc. are not racist and need to be left alone unless their mascot is an insulting caricature like Chief Wahoo. And they could have just changed him to a badass looking Native American warrior and that would have been fixed along with maybe changing the nickname and team name to the Cleveland Natives....but then the mascot would have probably been a fat, white factory worker.
Being described as fat, white, and a factory worker is certainly less offensive...

Reactions: gainesvol82
That question about as relevant to what I said as asking me my favorite pizza topping.
Not really I just wanted your opinion on what a thug is. You said now days it is a coded language by the white society used against blacks instead of using the n word I’m guessing. I’m not trying to keyboard attack you just wanted your opinion.

My last response to this comment but that was my earlier point. The word is a strong characterization of any person of any race, gender, ethnicity , etc.
And I’m sure the poster meant it as on the court behavior, too, as we don’t know the life of these young men outside of the hardwood.

I saw the highlight where ex-Duke player, Grayson Allen, made a dirty, unnecessary play against a Bucks’ player. Allen did the same thing at Duke. And I would say that was thuggish behavior.

How you intend it and how it’s received are not always the same. The common connotation of “thug” has evolved. I had thought this was pretty widely understood to have happened.

That’s not the first time a word has had to be effectively retired from polite conversation because some assholes consistently used it with racist intent and it probably won’t be the last. It doesn’t do any good to gripe about it. The association is there. The word has that stink on it and if you try too hard to wash it off, you’re likely to get the stink on you instead. It’s just not worth it.

Etymology and Connotative meanings evolve. Moron, idiot, dunce and retarded we’re all originally scientific terms that referred to impaired or delayed intellect. Over time, they moved into common use, and obtained derogatory connotations. Those words were then retired as scientific terms, and also put on the shelf as acceptable ways for a decent human to refer to someone with impaired intelligence. That didn’t happen recently. Those terms were phased out over a century, and not without many people innocently using them incorrectly along the way, and many using them cruelly. Frankly the point is not someone’s intention, as it’s very often hard to discern. The point is that humans should be open to accepting the changes in language over time. Thug is currently perceived as coded language used by white society in place of worse terms. While not every user of the word means it that way, everyone should be open to changing behavior that has developed into something commonly perceived as a slight. Find a different word.
But where does it stop? And if we’re going with your logic then no one can flash anything saying “Thug Life” as if it’s a badge of honor, yet it happens. You have to take intent into account all the time or not at all. To me all the time makes way more sense.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
But where does it stop? And if we’re going with your logic then no one can flash anything saying “Thug Life” as if it’s a badge of honor, yet it happens. You have to take intent into account all the time or not at all. To me all the time makes way more sense.
People are just gonna have to be offended and move on. Hard to see how the word thug is so offensive. “We’re not against rap. We’re not against rappers. But we are against those THUGS”

It doesn’t stop, but it also doesn’t really happen that fast. We’re inventing new words faster than we’re retiring them. Sometimes it’s a little tough to adapt and it takes a bit, but it’s really not that hard. If you don’t do it, you just end up like your grandpa saying “colored” with no malice while everyone else cringes. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s to be avoided imo.

it doesn’t stop. That’s the point. Language evolves. It doesn’t stop because it makes your tummy hurt. There’s also nothing in my “logic” that says that a group can’t choose the language they use about themselves. If you can’t see the hundreds of clear examples of that, I can’t help you.

it doesn’t stop. That’s the point. Language evolves. It doesn’t stop because it makes your tummy hurt. There’s also nothing in my “logic” that says that a group can’t choose the language they use about themselves. If you can’t see the hundreds of clear examples of that, I can’t help you.
You can’t help me because I’m not labeling people as “they” and trying to make different rules for people based on skin color. Are we all people or not?

It doesn’t stop, but it also doesn’t really happen that fast. We’re inventing new words faster than we’re retiring them. Sometimes it’s a little tough to adapt and it takes a bit, but it’s really not that hard. If you don’t do it, you just end up like your grandpa saying “colored” with no malice while everyone else cringes. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s to be avoided imo.
You mean like Biden’s constant slips? Some people just look for reasons to be offended. I have a son that is autistic and I don’t get my panties in a wad when someone calls their buddy retarded.

The NAACP says Hi!

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Thug...a violent person, especially a criminal.
These are young black educated men playing basketball so no they aren't thugs. And if you're not informed the word thug is often used in place of the N word towards African Americans to make it seem ok. Have some decency find another word and stop taking it as a joke.
Thugs mean thugs. It’s not the N word. Quit being so emotionally fragile

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Let it go man. If you aren't black or spoken to a black man or woman about the word in which it is often used to describe them then you wouldn't understand. The problem is many people don't care to understand. It's all good im not here to change the world. Good win vols
Need a hankie?

The NAACP says Hi!
That’s kinda the whole point, isn’t it? That was perfectly acceptable language at one point and over time language has evolved. Now it’s not something anyone says unless they’re really old and stubborn. You’re free to keep talking however you want, but you’re fighting a losing battle. You can either choose to be that grumpy old man who people can’t quite tell if he’s racist or not or you can not. It doesn’t matter to me, but that’s the choice you’re faced with.

VN Store

Back