Tennessee v Loyola-Chicago Ramblers, 2018 NCAAT Second Round: Game thread

I honestly feel better about our chances of beating Loyola after the Miami game than I did before it. Don't get me wrong, Loyola is a really solid basketball team that is plenty capable of knocking us out of the tournament. By no means can we come out sloppy and still expect to win the game. With that being said, Miami (who looked a bit underwhelming IMO) had a chance to close the game out from the free throw line late and failed to do so. I think we're a better team than Miami on both ends. I think our physicality and depth will slowly but surely wear on a Loyola team that lacks depth.

Reactions: 1 person
TruTV studio just asked Candace Parker, after her insight into tomorrow’s game, that if Loyola wins, would she be willing to contact Sister Jean and apologize. For what perceived slight, I’m not sure.

Her response was, “What, if Tennessee wins is she gonna call me? Like is this a bet or something?”

We had one of the most convincing wins of the tournament so far, and we’re being continually looked over for an 11-seed. Don’t pick us, etc.

Reactions: 4 people
Me 100%

If we lose I’m preparing for a scourge of losers invading the board with their negative chicken little nonsense. We’ve lost to worse teams this year. We need to understand this will likely be a close game

They haven’t lost a game this year where their opponent shot less than 50% from the field.

You’d think as Tennessee fans we’d learn not to take anything for granted.

If the Vols are going to win tomorrow, they’re going to have to earn it. This isn’t a slouch team.

TruTV studio just asked Candace Parker, after her insight into tomorrow’s game, that if Loyola wins, would she be willing to contact Sister Jean and apologize. For what perceived slight, I’m not sure.

Her response was, “What, if Tennessee wins is she gonna call me? Like is this a bet or something?”

We had one of the most convincing wins of the tournament so far, and we’re being continually looked over for an 11-seed. Don’t pick us, etc.

“Are you going to apologize for pulling for your school, MS. PARKER? ARE YOU??”

Reactions: 3 people
According to metrics O/U would me much more like 3.5 than 1.5, maybe that’s why you aren’t understanding many posters stance.

Don't know if your metrics argument holds water as L-C's stats were from playing against mid major level teams for the vast majority of their games. Those stats can't be compared directly to the stats of a team that played a top strength schedule. Like UMBC just showed, on a given night any team can win. But I would pick Virginia in their next 9 games if they played again. UMBC won't beat KY and L-C won't beat UT unless another miracle happens. Wringing your hands in worry when you are the clear favorite isn't a logical stance IMHO.

however we each might view the game, we can all agree on "GO VOLS!". It has been a pleasant surprise to watch this team develop.

Don't know if your metrics argument holds water as L-C's stats were from playing against mid major level teams for the vast majority of their games. Those stats can't be compared directly to the stats of a team that played a top strength schedule. Like UMBC just showed, on a given night any team can win. But I would pick Virginia in their next 9 games if they played again. UMBC won't beat KY and L-C won't beat UT unless another miracle happens. Wringing your hands in worry when you are the clear favorite isn't a logical stance IMHO.

however we each might view the game, we can all agree on "GO VOLS!". It has been a pleasant surprise to watch this team develop.

There’s a reason the spread is around 5, not the 22.5 that Virginia was just favored by...that’s a massive difference that surely you can see. Loyola Chicago is not comparable to UMBC going up against Virginia, no comparison at all imo.

It’s not my metric...is KenPom, BPI, KPI, Vegas etc.

cavalier adj 1. Showing arrogant or offhand disregard; dismissive: a cavalier attitude toward the suffering of others.

Pssst... Vols... Don't be that guy.

That is all.

On the positive, no upset is going to be as bad as the one yesterday...so the fear of losing to an underdog shouldn't be suffocating

cavalier adj 1. Showing arrogant or offhand disregard; dismissive: a cavalier attitude toward the suffering of others.

Pssst... Vols... Don't be that guy.

That is all.

The guys with the "cavalier" attitude aren't in the tournament anymore.

Reactions: 3 people
I feel like people are giving Loyola too much credit...they beat Miami and Florida..

two good wins, no doubt, but they still lost to teams like Bradley, Indianna State, and Missouri State..

On the other hand, our best wins are Purdue, 2x Kentucky, and Florida..We are SEC-Co Champs..we went head to head with UNC and Villanova..we drubbed Iowa State and Miss State in their stadiums where they had really good records.

We have undoubtley been on a diffferent playing field for the course of the season compared to Loyala. I'm not expecting a blowout, butwe should make it clear that they aren't on our level. I'm thinking a 10 point victory.

68-58 UT

I went to Loyola and Tennessee, and have watched 7-8 Loyola games this year as well as the majority of Tennessee games. I think this should be an interesting matchup. Loyola can’t matchup size wise with Tennessee, so I’d look for Tn to go to grant early and often. At the same time, if Tn goes with a big lineup I think that creates a tough defensive assignment for Williams as I’m not sure he can guards the LU guards without getting in foul trouble. As far as personnel, Loyola has a solid PG in Custer who likes to drive looking to pass. They’re freshman big, krutwig, doesn’t always look pretty but can be a handful down low and is a very good passer for a big man. Their most dangerous scorers are Ingram and Jackson, who comes off the bench. Both are good three point shooters, with Jackson having the ability to post up (20+ vs Florida). Overall LU is a very good passing team who doesn’t give up easy points on the defensive end. I expect Tennessee to win based on offensive rebounding and second chance points, but they need to run Loyola off the 3 point line to keep them from getting hot.

Last edited:
I went to Loyola and Tennessee, and have watched 7-8 Loyola games this year as well as the majority of Tennessee games. I think this should be an interesting matchup. Loyola can’t matchup size wise with Tennessee, so I’d look for Tn to go to grant early and often. At the same time, if Tn goes with a big lineup I think that creates a tough defensive assignment for Williams as I’m not sure he can guards the LU guards without getting in foul trouble. As far as personnel, Loyola has a solid PG in Custer who likes to drive looking to pass. They’re freshman big, krutwig, doesn’t always look pretty but can be a handful down low and is a very good passer for a big man. Their most dangerous scorers are Ingram and Jackson, who comes off the bench. Both are good three point shooters, with Jackson having the ability to post up (20+ vs Florida). Overall LU is a very good passing team who doesn’t give up easy points on the defensive end. I expect Tennessee to win based on offensive rebounding and second chance points, but they need to run Loyola off the 3 point line to keep them from getting hot.

Feels like a similar game plan we used for Florida is needed

A really good breakdown here from GyrateStats...

1/2

Attachments

• C0144EE7-406D-4D0B-BC9A-2CC442D70D7B.jpg
    C0144EE7-406D-4D0B-BC9A-2CC442D70D7B.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
Walked out in the yard with my grandson to look for 4 leaf clovers. Found one within seconds. It's St. Patrick's Day. Vols win.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180317-112752.jpg
    Screenshot_20180317-112752.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 4 people

Cool. Where did you find this? Very similar conclusions that I can conjure up from the numbers. Especially that Schofield is the X factor - which is reassuring given how he’s been playing. I like that he has factored in the shooting at the venue - however I take that w a huge grain of salt. Small sample size and first ground games can be ugly from a shooting perspective and much better in the second.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back