Tennessee v Loyola-Chicago Ramblers, 2018 NCAAT Second Round: Game thread

It's bball and we all know that most anyone can win on a given night when everything they throw up falls in, but if we played them 10 times we win 9 of them. GW, Scholfield, and Alexander are way better than their big guys

I don't recall if Pons has ever been the first off of the bench before Wright State. I wonder if Barnes was looking ahead and was getting him prepared to help defend the perimeter versus Loyola.

I don't recall if Pons has ever been the first off of the bench before Wright State. I wonder if Barnes was looking ahead and was getting him prepared to help defend the perimeter versus Loyola.

Was Lamonte not first off the bench?

The most similar team in terms of height that Loyola faced was Florida. Followed by Illinois State. So combined 4-0, but Illinois State sucks.

Florida wasn’t in foul trouble in that game, but they also typically foul less than we do. Loyola only attempted 9 FTs. Four of them were from Satterwhite who Bowden will probably be guarding. Satterwhite is prone to turnovers and Bowden was 5th in the SEC in steal %, so I like that defensive matchup.

Their best player in that game was Jackson, who Admiral will most likely be guarding. Jackson and Krutwig combined for 13-19 from 2 point range. And Jackson was 3-3 from 3. But I have a lot more confidence in our front court than I do Florida’s.

Just in terms of front court size, Missouri St is pretty close, and Loyola lost in Springfield this year. Kurtwig was the best player that day and finished w 18 points on 7-8 shooting from the field. But MSU's leading scorer and best player was Alize Johnson (their version of Grant Williams). Loyola only shot 20% from 3.

Was Lamonte not first off the bench?

Probably so. Bone was yanked out at about 17:40. Pons was first up when there was a group of subs made... it might have been just before the under 4 TO. I'll try to catch it when I edit out the commercials from my DVR.

Probably so. Bone was yanked out at about 17:40. Pons was first up when there was a group of subs made... it might have been just before the under 4 TO. I'll try to catch it when I edit out the commercials from my DVR.

Either way, Pons entered the game pretty early and I think we will see a lot of him in the tourney.

Either way, Pons entered the game pretty early and I think we will see a lot of him in the tourney.

Pons and Bowden match up best size-wise with their perimeter scorer's. This would have been a good game to utilize Johnson too if he was ready. Hopefully Schofield matches up with somebody because he's going to give them fits on the O end. I bet that Bone will be highly motivated and will play him some defense.

The over confidence of our fans is making me nervous. I hope the team isn’t feeding into this “rat poison.”

This...how dumb to think we are gonna run a team that just beat Miami and beat Florida at their house earlier this year. Should we win? Sure. But expecting some drubbing is idiotic imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Shanks could also play tomorrow night if their bigs get in foul trouble. If UT limits turnovers and pounds the ball inside while taking the open three, that should lead to a win.

Stylistically this team is like a poor mans Villanova. Or you could say they’re a rich man’s Furman. Either way I think those games (even though they were a long time ago) shows that we can’t let off the pedal at any moment. They’ll be prepared for us too after having prepped for and beaten Miami yesterday.

Reactions: 1 person
Call me whatever but it makes me uneasy when everyone starts talking about how UT is going to cruise to victory.

Me 100%

If we lose I’m preparing for a scourge of losers invading the board with their negative chicken little nonsense. We’ve lost to worse teams this year. We need to understand this will likely be a close game

They haven’t lost a game this year where their opponent shot less than 50% from the field.

Call me whatever but it makes me uneasy when everyone starts talking about how UT is going to cruise to victory.

It's the VN tradition however the team is playing. The highest of highs in confidence/cockiness when winning and the most depressing of lows when losing.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't understand why folks acknowledging UT's clear talent advantage against a mid-major program would make anyone nervous. Does Loyola stand a chance to win - absolutely as almost any decent team can beat another on a given night which is what makes March Madness entertaining. But if UT played L-C 10 times, L-C's over/under would be 1.5. This isn't like playing Cincinnati, UT is clearly more talented than L-C and is a heavy favorite to win the game tomorrow. They still have to play the game, but I for one will be very surprised if the Vols don't roll. They are playing very good team ball right now

Pons and Bowden match up best size-wise with their perimeter scorer's. This would have been a good game to utilize Johnson too if he was ready. Hopefully Schofield matches up with somebody because he's going to give them fits on the O end. I bet that Bone will be highly motivated and will play him some defense.

Pons is a great athlete and plays smart for the most part. However, he sometimes struggles in switches and getting off screens. Loyola’s bread and butter is patience, motion, screening, finding the open man and back door cuts. If Pons isn’t focused on defense, his playing time will shrink significantly. His teammates better communicate loudly.

Don't understand why folks acknowledging UT's clear talent advantage against a mid-major program would make anyone nervous. Does Loyola stand a chance to win - absolutely as almost any decent team can beat another on a given night which is what makes March Madness entertaining. But if UT played L-C 10 times, L-C's over/under would be 1.5. This isn't like playing Cincinnati, UT is clearly more talented than L-C and is a heavy favorite to win the game tomorrow. They still have to play the game, but I for one will be very surprised if the Vols don't roll. They are playing very good team ball right now

According to metrics O/U would me much more like 3.5 than 1.5, maybe that’s why you aren’t understanding many posters stance.

Balanced scoring team. Not amazing defensively though. They impressed me at times with their ball movement, but at the same time had some stretches where they struggled to get looks. I think UT matches up well. Just can't settle for bad shots against this team (looking at you Schofield!)

If it weren’t for Schofield we wouldn’t be in the position we’re in. I’m fine with him taking a couple of bad shots because more times than not they go in.

VN Store

Back