Tennessee under NCAA investigation over use of recruiting hostesses

I've heard people mention "face to face" meetings as being disallowed, but waving a sign at a football game and texting is not "face to face". Or am I wrong about the meaning of the term "face to face"?

Texting is not allowed per NCAA rules in recruiting. Which means that if a representative of the university starts texting a recruit, then things can start going downhill. It's something that people just don't understand about recruiting, is that these kids are protected by the NCAA.

These NCAA rules are getting ridiculous. What is the rationale behind most of these rules? It honestly seems like they make rules just for the sake of making rules.

I would say that this would be overblown IF there weren't so many secondary violations in the past year. But now, it causes the NCAA to take a serious look into the program. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything will come out of it.

Yeah.....this is a poor man's effort to try to drag down our recruiting class, as we're taking over...... Bitter coaches like Cryer, Spur-dork, Satan, and ChickStick, trying to tell recruits to smoke us........pathetic! :bad:

You would think that the NCAA would be circumspect enough to just confirm a general investigation rather than telling the NY Times that its investigation centered on the "use of hostesses," because whether there's anything to this or not, they're pretty much ensuring that our college girls are going to get reputations as whores. Nice.

After reading and deleting several posts in the recruiting forum about that very subject, it seems our own fans seem to feel like they could possible be. Really disappointing, IMO.

they were just talking about this on 104.5 here in nashville.
They said we supposedly sent hostesses to a recruits high school game with signs saying come to UT. If that's not legal I can't believe we would do it. That is something that is hard to hide.

I believe that someone stated earlier that even we as fans, are representatives of UT. So does this mean I can't take a poster to a recruit's game that says, "Come to UT!"?

We're aren't talking about the Daily Beacon or the Fincastle Herald here.

We're talking about the NYT, which has become little more than a leftist opinion paper whose dwindling revenues now drive it to be as sensationalist as possible.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Really? Check out how many secondary violations other schools of comparative nature have in the same amount of time before you attempt to act like you know what you are talking about next time.

I don't have to attempt. I know the rules. Is this there tons of secondary violations every year? You bet. The difference is Tennessee is being targeted (rightly or wrongly) over the past few months for these secondary violations. Does this mean major sanctions will come down? Of course not, unless an investigation reveals something more serious. I seriously doubt anything comes of it, but don't act like the NCAA will take a back seat. They love to do this 'investigating crap.'

These NCAA rules are getting ridiculous. What is the rationale behind most of these rules? It honestly seems like they make rules just for the sake of making rules.

Because these kids are looked at and scrutinized at every turn. I don't agree with everything the NCAA does, but protecting these kids is a good thing, IMO. They don't need anymore attention than what they already receive on a daily basis.

Really and truly our fans can blame themselves, IMO. The snide comments about certain hostesses I'm sure got to the wrong people. Sometimes people should keep things to themselves, IMO.

rampant speculation.

Now pardon my above post. I read the article, sounds fishy. The timing seems as though somethings being orchestrated. Say we turn up clean in Jan, but we've lost 4 guys because of it, what will we get, an apology letter from the NCAA? IMO if they were sure they had us wouldn't they wait til these guys sign and play then come down hard? Who knows? But I definately don't like it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Texting is not allowed per NCAA rules in recruiting. Which means that if a representative of the university starts texting a recruit, then things can start going downhill. It's something that people just don't understand about recruiting, is that these kids are protected by the NCAA.

I believe that texting rule was put in a few years ago, due to recruits complaining that they'd receive 50-100 texts a day from various coaches.

Now pardon my above post. I read the article, sounds fishy. The timing seems as though somethings being orchestrated. Say we turn up clean in Jan, but we've lost 4 guys because of it, what will we get, an apology letter from the NCAA? IMO if they were sure they had us wouldn't they wait til these guys sign and play then come down hard? Who knows? But I definately don't like it.

It's against NCAA policies to issue apologies.

Want to know how overblown the rules are? My nephew is a freshman football player in high school. He wants to go to my alma mater's bowl game. I can't take him or buy tickets because I am a athletic sponsor (donor). If I do, it would be considered a secondary violation, even though I am his uncle. Because in the NCAA eyes, I would be persuading him to 'attend' my alma mater. In my eyes, I just am taking my nephew to a football game for him to enjoy. Very picky with their rules.

We're talking about the NYT, which has become little more than a leftist opinion paper whose dwindling revenues now drive it to be as sensationalist as possible.

Still probably one of, if not the most recognizable print media outlets in the world.

... I thought about recruiting after I posted that first thought and, yes, I did read the article. It doesn't sound that bad to me but I'm not an expert on NCAA violations.

Got Twelve?... you have an answer?

Absolutely

We're talking about the NYT, which has be one little more than a leftist opinion paper whose dwindling revenues now drive it to be as sensationalist as possible.

+1 This story is as juicy as it gets. All the editor sees is ..."The University, whose coach has been a lightning rod for controversey, is being investigated for possible mis-use of extremely hot college chicks in a ploy to snag recruits". It practically sells itself.

Wow.Seems to me NCAA is going way out-of-the-way to worry about some hostesses. It didn't really seem like a bad thing at all. The worst part is them calling all our recruits making us look even worse then it really is.
And whats up with jj mom sayin its not about the coaches its about the hostesses? really? I hope no one is stupid enough to make a college choice on that. Doesn't matter what system we run or how the coaches can get me to the next level. Its all out their hostesses. Sounds really stupid imo.

It is hard to escape the feeling, given the timing of this, that this isn't a giant middle finger aimed at Kiffin by screwing around with his recruiting class.

VN Store

Back