Tennessee under NCAA investigation over use of recruiting hostesses

How can these hostesses be considered representatives of UT? Are they paid? Do they get scholarships for hostessing? If they aren't tied to the university through money, then how can their actions hurt the University? Any other student would be allowed to drive 200 miles to watch a game without people going crazy.

Fans are even considered as such. People don't realize the eggshells that are around a recruit these days.

How can these hostesses be considered representatives of UT? Are they paid? Do they get scholarships for hostessing? If they aren't tied to the university through money, then how can their actions hurt the University? Any other student would be allowed to drive 200 miles to watch a game without people going crazy.

Hostesses are either paid or given scholarship money. They are not educated enough (at least in the four NCAA schools I have worked four previously) in the rules about recruiting and violations. A student can drive to the university but if he approaches a recruit, there is a chance it could be an NCAA violation, but it depends on the situation.

Pardon my ignorance, can someone please spell out what exactly they are investigating.who these "Hostesses" are and what they did wrong so forth. Are we talking about a person we hire to host a visiting recruit, and if so surely we know the rules, right?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The Hostesses are UT students, in this case girls. Most of whom are very pretty and are good students and they basically take care of the recruits while they are on their visits (i.e. give them tours, etc.)

What the article says is that the "Hostesses" are an extension of the athletic department, and therefore aren't allowed to have face to face contact with recruits outside of their campus visits and that is what these hostesses apparently did.

I don't generally have a problem with the way Kiffin's handled himself since he got to Knoxville, but this is what you get when you make enemies. If you own a restaurant and you insult someone on the city council, a team of health inspectors shows up. I hope Kiffin's clean.

I don't generally have a problem with the way Kiffin's handled himself since he got to Knoxville, but this is what you get when you make enemies. If you own a restaurant and you insult someone on the city council, a team of health inspectors shows up. I hope Kiffin's clean.
Sounds about right.

this sounds like bull to me. how can we get in trouble for having hostesses. everyone has them. i think this si bull and should pass over soon. if anything were to come of it i would be very surprised.

Wow. Did this horsecrap story from a horsecrap outfit get blown out of proportion in a hurry.

Good point.

Next up, I hope they investigate Auburn. I believe there is youtube video of two of their fans going to everyone of Dyer's game and badgering him with signs and chants to go to Auburn.

I would say that this would be overblown IF there weren't so many secondary violations in the past year. But now, it causes the NCAA to take a serious look into the program. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything will come out of it.

Next up, I hope they investigate Auburn. I believe there is youtube video of two of their fans going to everyone of Dyer's game and badgering him with signs and chants to go to Auburn.

Already been done. Trooper got banned from recruiting outside the university until December IIRC.

I've heard people mention "face to face" meetings as being disallowed, but waving a sign at a football game and texting is not "face to face". Or am I wrong about the meaning of the term "face to face"?

I should also mention that there are Hosts and Hostess' that abide by the rules at all time, and don't do naughty or illegal things.

But this investigation doesn't sound good. Of course, it could be like the Bryce Brown incident early in the year, and not a whole lot comes from it.

I would say that this would be overblown IF there weren't so many secondary violations in the past year. But now, it causes the NCAA to take a serious look into the program. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything will come out of it.

That is true as well. It should show people though that sometimes no comment on things like this involving recruits is the best path. Too many people think they are cute saying and doing things, and sometime they open a Pandora's Box, and not just involving this.

Are you serious? Really? Check out how many secondary violations other schools of comparative nature have in the same amount of time before you attempt to act like you know what you are talking about next time.

You would think that the NCAA would be circumspect enough to just confirm a general investigation rather than telling the NY Times that its investigation centered on the "use of hostesses," because whether there's anything to this or not, they're pretty much ensuring that our college girls are going to get reputations as whores. Nice.

I've heard people mention "face to face" meetings as being disallowed, but waving a sign at a football game and texting is not "face to face". Or am I wrong about the meaning of the term "face to face"?

There are already way too many rules and many of which seem to be vague at that. So who knows lol.

they were just talking about this on 104.5 here in nashville.
They said we supposedly sent hostesses to a recruits high school game with signs saying come to UT. If that's not legal I can't believe we would do it. That is something that is hard to hide.

VN Store

Back