Tennessee return to glory: 5-10 years

as down as i may be on the prospects of the team right now, i do agree with this. that's the real joy, and getting to do it with my kids now...good stuff, regardless.:thumbsup:

Watching my 9 year old son jumping for joy after the UF game this year brought tears!!

Reactions: 2 people
In theory, that might be true for the entire league if that is the amount of years that Saban decides to remain at Alabama.

Although, most of the all time greats tend to tail off eventually as they get older.

Somewhat. It's about who is in the best position to take advantage of that when it happens.
If you can't win a poor eastern division now. I'm not sure why that would breed much confidence later.

Reactions: 1 person
One of the better threads this off-season. I'm enjoying it. Keep it up. Us who mostly read applaud you.

I am 55 and we won't be in the playoff's in my lifetime but before some cliff dive i am in bad health and won't be on this earth more than 3 to 5 years at most.:banghead2: But on the up side i did see 1 NC so its not all bad. GO VOLS BUCK BAMA

Last edited:
If you are saying that only AP and UPI polls should before the BCS, then you really should consider the media bias toward northern teams. You might also consider the effect that WW2 had on Tennessee football - both coaching and players.

Most of the SEC including UT didn't even field a team in 1943. It took a few years for Neyland to catch up afterwards. While many coaches like Bryant continued to coach through their prime, Neyland was working on and off for the Army during his prime.

In the meantime teams like Notre Dame and Army were accumulating championships - Army pretty much had the cream of the crop for players. History is meaningful if you do more than look superficially. Unless you really give credence to teams that claim championships like MI (playing sports clubs and high schools) in the 1800s, Tennessee's record while not the best is nothing to discredit.

AP and UPI had Tennessee #1 in 1951, but four other teams were ranked #1 by others; so if you think Tennessee's "alternate" championships are meaningless, then consider a lot of teams would have far less than two to crow about.
Just saying they were retroactive. I don't like it either. I'm saying that in 1999 we claimed two and somehow we have done so well we are up to 6. Bama went from 9 to 56 during the same span. I don't care what you say, I will believe what I want and you can believe what you want. The NCAA recognizes two.

I'm trying to upload the NCAA recognized natty winner. Best I can do. And we have two, 51 and 98. Life was not fair back then, but we can't make up rules. Im not saying we didn't have good teams, but two is what we got. We live in a world where everyone gets a trophy, back then not so much.

www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/

Last edited:
I am 55 and we won't be in the playoff's in my lifetime but before some cliff dive i am in bad health and won't be on this earth more than 3 to 5 years at most.:banghead2: But on the up side i did see 1 NC so its not all bad. GO VOLS BUCK BAMA

Hang in there terrypedigo. Better days ahead, hopefully.

We gonna return in about 5 months and we are going to dethrone bama and send saben packing after 3 straight losses to us ! Go VOLS! And buck fama☝🏻

For this, I hope we win next year.

If we go 11-1 (or even 10-2) with a loss to Bama (or maybe GA, etc.), is the season all for naught? Would back to back 10-2 seasons mean "we are back"? It's as good as many of the 1990's season records.
I'll be the first to pump some Orange Sunshine and say it will happen in 2017 or 2018. The players are here, new coaches with new enthusiasm and new ideas.

Blast away.

As long as Butch is here we'll be no better than GA with CMR or USCe with Spurrior. Maybe, with a down SEC East make the SECCG once every 10 years.

Just saying:

You better learn how to appreciate the wins over rivals, bowl trips (and wins), great plays, and good times at the games with family and friends.

You can't effect the outcome of anything so you might as well enjoy the victories along the way. If you can't do that, find another hobby.

Here's a participation trophy, thanks for playing.

If I were a Bama fan I would be worried. Only an idiot would follow saben at Bama. If you make the playoff in your first two years but don't win a championship the fan base will call for your head. So a great coach will not take the job unless he is ready to retire. That gets them a less than "best" risk taker for a coach. This guy is fired in 3 years. Rinse and repeat. Then the downward spiral. Look how long we have been comparing QBs to Payton. That's how long coaches will be measured aginst Saben. If a Saben clone that looked like someone else took the job the today he would be fired in three years. As soon as Bama doesn't win the sec people will say nick has lost it. The higher you climb the harder you fall.
The only question is what sec coach and team will fill the void. Are we ready? Fl, Ga LSU, TAM?

If you are saying that only AP and UPI polls should before the BCS, then you really should consider the media bias toward northern teams. You might also consider the effect that WW2 had on Tennessee football - both coaching and players.

Most of the SEC including UT didn't even field a team in 1943. It took a few years for Neyland to catch up afterwards. While many coaches like Bryant continued to coach through their prime, Neyland was working on and off for the Army during his prime.

In the meantime teams like Notre Dame and Army were accumulating championships - Army pretty much had the cream of the crop for players. History is meaningful if you do more than look superficially. Unless you really give credence to teams that claim championships like MI (playing sports clubs and high schools) in the 1800s, Tennessee's record while not the best is nothing to discredit.

AP and UPI had Tennessee #1 in 1951, but four other teams were ranked #1 by others; so if you think Tennessee's "alternate" championships are meaningless, then consider a lot of teams would have far less than two to crow about.

UT claiming a NC in '67 is a joke. There are a lot of teams that win the NC even into the BCS years. I believe someone voted Ohio St. the NC in '98. It happens, doesn't mean you need to put it up in the stadium.

The way I've always viewed our program is competitive for the East every season, with an SEC title every 4-5 years. Sounds crazy, but historically we have won two SEC titles per decade since the founding of the conference. SEC comes first; if we are competitive in the SEC, we will be relevant nationally. By my recollection we are long overdue since 98. Also, some of us young fellas need better experiences. I've been a fan since 2000. My college years at UT from 06-11 were not kind.

Tennessee has only won the SEC more than once only 5 times since 1930.

30's - 2 times
40's - 2 times
50's - 2 times
80's - 2 times
90's - 3 times

hopefully nick retires in 3-4 years after winning a couple more rings---he will own the sec as long as he stays at alabama

I just want to win the effing SEC east once or twice a decade... is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
I just want to win the effing SEC east once or twice a decade... is that too much to ask?

Actually, it kind of is with our current standing schedule.

To be in control of our destiny in the East, we pretty much can't do any worse than 7-1 with that loss being to either Alabama, or the other west team that we play that year. If we end up 6-2 or worse, we are at the mercy of the rest of the east teams, as they can still take the East with a loss to us as long as they don't lose to anyone else.

The automatic loss to Alabama that we deal with every year, makes it that much harder for CBJ, who tends to lose at least 1 game a season that he should win, to take the division.

I don't think that we'll ever see a division title under CBJ unless Saban leaves before him.

UT claiming a NC in '67 is a joke. There are a lot of teams that win the NC even into the BCS years. I believe someone voted Ohio St. the NC in '98. It happens, doesn't mean you need to put it up in the stadium.

I guess I never stated my real objection. There simply are not enough reliable data and never have been to crown a "national champion". And because of the number of teams and time constraints it's not possible to do so. The polls have always been biased far too much on popularity with voters, and frequently the top teams never actually played each other - and we all know about that transitive thing.

Throughout football history some teams have seemed completely dominant during the year - and a very few probably really were. But think back to the time when Miami went to the Sugar Bowl to slay David - sometimes it's a matter of exposure and when it happens. Conferences are significantly different - sometimes the perceived strength of an established conference hides weak teams, and sometimes a conference bully makes every other team in the conference appear less than.

The BCS and CFP are far too narrow a sampling to do more than attempt to bless a statistically insignificant outcome. It's not fixable - like four games out of seven at rotating sites. The polls are even a more absurd measure. NO national championships really mean a thing - to argue about how many and by who's count is nutty. Enjoy the game; it's usually pretty obvious when a team is good and which team is the better of the two on game day.

Hang in there, man.

VN Store

Back