Tennessee return to glory: 5-10 years

We only two we have 98 and 51. All others are retro and made up for recruiting. Bama does it too. I mean Neyland is given credit for one and we didn't even win the sec that year.

For some reason the year that our defense went unscored upon is counted. What are you gonna do?

Reactions: 2 people
One of best arguments for being happy with 2nd tier mediocrity I've seen in awhile.

Some of us... just aren't that easily satisfied.

FTR- Bama wasn't "Bama" until they hired the right coach. None of the notable programs got to where Bama is by hiring a coach and letting him wallow for 6+ years.

The thing that bothers me about this line of thinking is that.....

(A) Because a situation may be what it is does not mean people are "satisfied with mediocrity"

(B) There seems to be a belief that winning championships is easy. Just click the "easy button" and presto....championships.

Not to mention the obvious......

A sizeable percentage of the fanbase belittles the man at the helm for the greatest period of football in your lifetimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

(A) Because a situation may be what it is does not mean people are "satisfied with mediocrity"

(B) There seems to be a belief that winning championships is easy. Just click the "easy button" and presto....championships.

A sizeable percentage belittles the man at the helm for the greatest period of football in your lifetimes.
true, and it can be hard to take sometimes. but it is something that, really, you have no frame of reference for. Spurrier got out while the getting was good, and you were spared the USCe verson of spurrier that quit in the middle of a season, and that went 0 fer against Butch Jones. you were spared the descent of urban meyer, and the debacle that may have been waiting had he stayed...sure you had to go thru Zook and Muschamp....but you didn't have to wait too long in between Spurrier, Meyer, and now Mac (who, i think, the verdict is still a bit out on, despite the two East titles).

but really, as FL fans are concerned, you've not had to see a guy like fulmer ascend to the top, and fall, and go thru that. you've not had a decade of turmoil and indecision and indecisive leadership administratively.

you've gotten 3 football national championships, 9(?) SEC championships, 2 bball national championships etc, etc, etc....

long story short, walk a mile in another man's shoes...

and i don't think anyone thinks it's easy. to the contrary, it's really hard, and we sit back and watch what's going on here, and really have to wonder....what are we doing to get ourselves closer to that?

Reactions: 3 people

A sizeable percentage belittles the man at the helm for the greatest period of football in your lifetimes.

When people respond to criticism of CBJ, with statements along the lines of "he's gotten us to 9 wins two years in a row, you wouldn't be satisfied even if we were 15-0", or "Butch has gotten us to a bowl three years in a row for the first time since 2002", it is tantamount to accepting mediocrity.

The reality is that other than being "better than Dooley", what does Butch have to hang his hat on during his time at UT? No SEC titles. Not even a division title. 3 Consecutive bowl appearances in an era when you only have to be 6-6 to get a bowl invite? Two 9-win seasons that still saw us with 5-3 and 4-4 conference records?

There's literally nothing on the books that points to CBJ being capable of getting Tennessee back to contending for conference championships.

I daresay without Butch Jones being here, McElwain's seat would already be warming up going into 2017. I'd want Butch to stay at UT as long as possible if I were you.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I swear I'm going to go from being a single guy to a grandfather in the time it takes Tennessee to win anything that really matters again.

You better learn how to appreciate the wins over rivals, bowl trips (and wins), great plays, and good times at the games with family and friends.

You can't effect the outcome of anything so you might as well enjoy the victories along the way. If you can't do that, find another hobby.

Reactions: 6 people
You better learn how to appreciate the wins over rivals, bowl trips (and wins), great plays, and good times at the games with family and friends.

You can't effect the outcome of anything so you might as well enjoy the victories along the way. If you can't do that, find another hobby.

Exactly.

We need more fans telling others fans how they should respond when neither matter.

One of best arguments for being happy with 2nd tier mediocrity I've seen in awhile.

Some of us... just aren't that easily satisfied.

FTR- Bama wasn't "Bama" until they hired the right coach. None of the notable programs got to where Bama is by hiring a coach and letting him wallow for 6+ years.
But I feel the best predictor for the future are passed events. We win one every 50 or so years. With my vantage, I'm happier and choose to realize football is a game and means very little in the end.

I'm an ole history major, so I embrace who we are and I love our football history. I choose not to be upset when we aren't who we wished we were. We're relevant again and it can happen any year now. I'm good with that. If Jones proves he cannot win the east, then we should find a replacement in a cautious manner.

Add on: unless your haslam and you don't appear as a bat **** crazy old man, then you have no power as well. Embrace our tradition.

Last edited:

as down as i may be on the prospects of the team right now, i do agree with this. that's the real joy, and getting to do it with my kids now...good stuff, regardless.:thumbsup:

until this past season, my wife and kids had never seen us beat FL. i've been married 12 years, and my kids and 10 and 7.

they've still not seen us beat Bama.

Our son was in P.O.T.S. Band 1998-2002. Never lost to Bama, 1 NC & a couple of SEC championships. Timing is everything. :good!:

Our son was in P.O.T.S. Band 1998-2002. Never lost to Bama, 1 NC & a couple of SEC championships. Timing is everything. :good!:

I grew up during the 80s and 90s streak. It was so bad my family who were bama fans wanted Tn to win so I wouldn't get upset as a kid.

Reactions: 1 person

i was there 94-97, and i've felt bad for those kids that had to put up with the 05-13 teams while in school. can't imagine.

timing is important.

Reactions: 2 people
I grew up during the 80s and 90s streak. It was so bad my family who were bama fans wanted Tn to win so I wouldn't get upset as a kid.

same here, though my whole family is TN fans, but my best friend as a kid was a bammer. and he loved rubbing my nose in it every. single. year.

in 93, we decided we were going to go to the game together. drove down to Birmingham, went to the game in Legion field, he in crimson, me in orange.

great game. up by 8 late. tie. couldn't believe it. very quiet 4 hour ride back to north mississippi.

silver lining...he wasn't gloating this time, at least.:eek:lol:

If we are being honest here, I am not convinced Tennessee will ever return to glory in my lifetime. I mean does anyone think we have the leadership from the top on down to really return to a powerhouse program again? I personally dont think we do. I hope I am wrong but I honestly see us being a perennial 8-10 win team with a few East titles thrown in for the next 5-10 years.

Talking about Alabama, I think when Saban retires, they will find another stud coach to replace him. Probably an NFL coach or another big time winner. It surely wont be some unknown guy from a loser conference that lost to Derek Dooley.

Last edited:
same here, though my whole family is TN fans, but my best friend as a kid was a bammer. and he loved rubbing my nose in it every. single. year.

in 93, we decided we were going to go to the game together. drove down to Birmingham, went to the game in Legion field, he in crimson, me in orange.

great game. up by 8 late. tie. couldn't believe it. very quiet 4 hour ride back to north mississippi.

silver lining...he wasn't gloating this time, at least.:eek:lol:
Was that the effing palmer at qb and fulmer had no clue he was going to run it for the 2 point conversion?

If we are being honest here, I am not convinced Tennessee will ever return to glory in my lifetime. I mean does anyone thunk we have the leadership from the top on down to really return to a powerhouse program again? I personally dont think we do. I hope I am wrong but I honestly see us being a perennial 8-10 win team with a few East titles thrown in for the next 5-10 years.

Talking about Alabama, I think when Saban retires, they will find another stud coach to replace him. Probably an NFL coach or another big time winner. It surely wont be some unknown guy from a loser conference that lost to Derek Dooley.
I do question the really high up leadership positions. Fulmer was blessed with great bosses. In all fairness we have had like 8 presidents since 2003. Please no one fact check my made up stats.

Was that the effing palmer at qb and fulmer had no clue he was going to run it for the 2 point conversion?

yep. can't still remember it to this day. going left to right, #2 on the field, #1 in your hear, David Palmer lined up at QB, O line stacked heavy right side....

boom. yea. kiss your sister.

In theory, that might be true for the entire league if that is the amount of years that Saban decides to remain at Alabama.

Although, most of the all time greats tend to tail off eventually as they get older.

That may be true but Bowden didn't fall off till he was 80ish. That gives Saban more than 10 years before he falls off!! I don't wanna wait that long!:eek:lol::eek:lol:

Its a prime job. But whoever replaces him is gonna be in a no win situation being compared to Saban every time he takes the field. While it has its perks it has the highest bar of any in the country. Their base will expect whoever it is to keep winning titles at the same clip.

The way I've always viewed our program is competitive for the East every season, with an SEC title every 4-5 years. Sounds crazy, but historically we have won two SEC titles per decade since the founding of the conference. SEC comes first; if we are competitive in the SEC, we will be relevant nationally. By my recollection we are long overdue since 98. Also, some of us young fellas need better experiences. I've been a fan since 2000. My college years at UT from 06-11 were not kind.

I have a question, who died and made Mike Farrell the God of predictions? He has less of a clue than we do..

This is what I thought. Actually I thought man I'm glad Charles Manson didn't put out his opinion on this because as crazy as he is people would still believe it, made a thread about, opine about it like it was a national security issue and be so upset they wouldn't eat for a week. One just couldn't think this stuff up 🤥🤥

In theory, that might be true for the entire league if that is the amount of years that Saban decides to remain at Alabama.

Although, most of the all time greats tend to tail off eventually as they get older.

I was thinking the same thing. He could probably say this about every team in the league.

Go on. Prove me wrong. Made up championships don't count or retroactive championships either.

If you are saying that only AP and UPI polls should before the BCS, then you really should consider the media bias toward northern teams. You might also consider the effect that WW2 had on Tennessee football - both coaching and players.

Most of the SEC including UT didn't even field a team in 1943. It took a few years for Neyland to catch up afterwards. While many coaches like Bryant continued to coach through their prime, Neyland was working on and off for the Army during his prime.

In the meantime teams like Notre Dame and Army were accumulating championships - Army pretty much had the cream of the crop for players. History is meaningful if you do more than look superficially. Unless you really give credence to teams that claim championships like MI (playing sports clubs and high schools) in the 1800s, Tennessee's record while not the best is nothing to discredit.

AP and UPI had Tennessee #1 in 1951, but four other teams were ranked #1 by others; so if you think Tennessee's "alternate" championships are meaningless, then consider a lot of teams would have far less than two to crow about.

VN Store

Back