Tennessee Played Well But Not In The Cards

60?!? And WE lost to them by 10 at HOME!!!
:thud::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::

Last year's UConn team would beat this year's Tennessee team by 60 easily, so don't hold it against Miss State. They are a good team.

I really don't think we played that well at all. We shot horribly and missed tons of easy shots, turned the ball over too much and only had 6 team assists. We played solid defense -- outside of our ability to defend the 3, which has been an issue for God knows how long -- but the only reason we were even in the game is because the refs were on our side and we got the majority of the calls and had a huge FT disparity.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree that our ball movement leaves a lot to be desired at times, but that's more on the 3 wings who are standing around on offense and not our PG. We saw in the second quarter today how much the team depends on Reynolds to function on offense. And we were very exposed for our lack of a bench.

A good PG can act as a coach on the floor and direct teammates or reset the offense. We saw that time and time again from MS's Williams.

Jordan is great in transition and mediocre-to-bad in a halfcourt set. If she's not pushing tempoand looking to direct a 2 or 3-1 transition bucket, she's just as guilty of stagnating the offense as anyone else on the team.

"Wait until next year." OMG. :thud: I wish I had a quarter for every time this has been said on this forum in the last five years. I would have a hefty sum. Not directed particularly to you W.TN.Orange Blood, just tired of hearing this, year after year.

:) Yeah, me too.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm so proud of Lady vols!! Great job!!.. Can u imagine if Tea'Cooper was playing, or in coming class with this team just team up..This is a game where u see a complete team. Lady vols is shorthanded wt bout 7 or 8 players.. Again, keep on building dis team to a higher level...

that is , well I don't know what to say. dumb, no too rude, just funny

Last year's UConn team would beat this year's Tennessee team by 60 easily, so don't hold it against Miss State. They are a good team.

Got to disagree, as politely as I'm able. It's a given UConn would/will wallop MS by 40 or 50 again if their paths cross. Even without the big three. Baylor would score 130 on them since, well, apparently that's Baylor's thing this year. Maryland would administer a curb stomping, South Carolina, depending on which version of them shows up, might make it look hard but they'll beat MS by 20 or more as would the inexplicably hard to predict Notre Dame. MS isn't a good team, not even close.

"Wait until next year." OMG. :thud: I wish I had a quarter for every time this has been said on this forum in the last five years. I would have a hefty sum. Not directed particularly to you W.TN.Orange Blood, just tired of hearing this, year after year.

I agree, winners think here and now and not continually wait until next year. Yes we will have the players but will they have the coaching that it takes? I am not sure that is the case. However, following some unforeseen action, Holly will be back next year. If we are still turning over the ball at a high rate, shooting at a low percentage rate and have a hard time cracking the top 25, a coaching change needs to be made. Presently, We have a short bench but we are still more talented then we appear. We need a coach that can bring the best out of each player in every game.

Got to disagree, as politely as I'm able. It's a given UConn would/will wallop MS by 40 or 50 again if their paths cross. Even without the big three. Baylor would score 130 on them since, well, apparently that's Baylor's thing this year. Maryland would administer a curb stomping, South Carolina, depending on which version of them shows up, might make it look hard but they'll beat MS by 20 or more as would the inexplicably hard to predict Notre Dame. MS isn't a good team, not even close.

I don't see MS as a top 4 team, but they are easily the next tier. I also think they could challenge any of the teams you mentioned, with the exception of UConn.

They are clearly no lower than #2 in the SEC, and will probably be a top 8 seed in the NCAAT.

... a coaching change needs to be made...

That would cost too much money and the university cannot afford it. Warlick will be around until her contract expires whether the fans like it or not. It's all about the almighty dollar.

... the inexplicably hard to predict Notre Dame...

During the preseason, I thought this would be Notre Dame's year. Something is missing this season. They don't seem to have the edge they are known for. Does anyone have any insight? I've only seen two of their games this year and they looked flat both times.

That would cost too much money and the university cannot afford it. Warlick will be around until her contract expires whether the fans like it or not. It's all about the almighty dollar.

contract expire and what is the buyout? Anybody know? Did she get an extension recently? What a colossal mistake she has been. Loyal, dedicated Vol--but WAY over her head in this job. We'll never win anything with this staff--that has been obvious, for me, since early in her first year. This game was emblematic of our coaching problems: Miss State is not more talented than us--in fact, they surely have less pure talent--but while their coach has them overachieving, we underachieve.

Reactions: 4 people

Shakespeare..."Heavy lies the head that wears the crown"...and the crown on top of Holly's head weighs tons!

I don't see MS as a top 4 team, but they are easily the next tier. I also think they could challenge any of the teams you mentioned, with the exception of UConn.

They are clearly no lower than #2 in the SEC, and will probably be a top 8 seed in the NCAAT.

I would have preferred a Tennessee win over the puffed up little pretenders but it didn't pan out. Not quite sure how you imagine MS being more than a teeny maroon colored splat on the Baylor windshield or any of the other teams I mentioned but I suppose hope springs eternal and all that. Mississippi is a fraud, the SEC is kind of puny this year and regardless of where they're seeded the first good team they meet is going to run them out of the building just like last year.

Our bench isn't very good at all. Middleton cant compete with good teams. Only if Jones, Carter and Cooper could've played this year. That would've changed a few things in my opinion.

Our bench isn't very good at all. Middleton cant compete with good teams. Only if Jones, Carter and Cooper could've played this year. That would've changed a few things in my opinion.

The only player you mentioned that would change anything is Cooper. She is aggressive and makes things happen. Jasmine Jones was a TO machine from the day she set foot on campus and never seemed to come remotely close to putting all her tools together. She was wildly inconsistent and seemed to look dazed and confused much more than she ever looked like she was turning a corner. Carter? Well I don't really miss her dribbling a hole in the ground with the ball for 20 seconds and passing up wide open 3's. The only good thing about Carter would be Middleton would get fewer minutes. That's about it. She never had the mental toughness to come close to her true potential.

During the preseason, I thought this would be Notre Dame's year. Something is missing this season. They don't seem to have the edge they are known for. Does anyone have any insight? I've only seen two of their games this year and they looked flat both times.

Didn't one of their top players (Taya Reimer) transfer after last season?

Muffet has been afflicted with the dreaded, "throw it inside to the big girl" disease that seems to be going around. It would appear that the team, big girl included, hasn't quite bought into this deviation from a movement style offense yet.

The only player you mentioned that would change anything is Cooper. She is aggressive and makes things happen. Jasmine Jones was a TO machine from the day she set foot on campus and never seemed to come remotely close to putting all her tools together. She was wildly inconsistent and seemed to look dazed and confused much more than she ever looked like she was turning a corner. Carter? Well I don't really miss her dribbling a hole in the ground with the ball for 20 seconds and passing up wide open 3's. The only good thing about Carter would be Middleton would get fewer minutes. That's about it. She never had the mental toughness to come close to her true potential.

OMG that was scathing. But oh so true! :yes:

I agree, winners think here and now and not continually wait until next year. Yes we will have the players but will they have the coaching that it takes? I am not sure that is the case. However, following some unforeseen action, Holly will be back next year. If we are still turning over the ball at a high rate, shooting at a low percentage rate and have a hard time cracking the top 25, a coaching change needs to be made. Presently, We have a short bench but we are still more talented then we appear. We need a coach that can bring the best out of each player in every game.

Your last sentence is right on! Holly is unable to bring out the best in a player. Case in point, both Middleton and Jackson did not score in the lost to Miss St. These two players should have scored at least 15 points between them. I know he is the best, but do you think this would have happened if these two played for Geno? Holly lacks this player motivation factor. She will never be more than an average head coach without this ability.

Reactions: 2 people
OMG that was scathing. But oh so true! :yes:

Scathing yes. Cooper would have been a huge difference because they LVs really have no Plan B option at PG (I suspect that Te'a would have been plan A). Plus, Cooper could hit some threes.

Jasmine was inconsistent but she totally fit the defense and rebounds win championship ethos. The LVs desperately needed another rebounding force tonight.

I am really sick of people trashing Draya; she was playing on shot knees her last season and gave it her all. Early in her career, she looked destined for greatness but injuries are cruel.

Reactions: 5 people

They were here last year with same results as this year. Holly Warlick would still be scratching her head and nose during her press conferences even if she had Candace Parker & Catchings on the team. She should resign immediately if not sooner.

Holly has given her all for the Lady Vols, but she is Wade Houston, the assistant coach(who can recruit), that goes over to the player and lifts 'em up, after Pat(or Denny Crum) reams their ass. 2 bad, she doesn't have a 5 star kid like Allan

Sorry, we gave her a shot, she failed. Let her stay on as an assistant. Make the right hire and with our recruiting class coming in, UT will be in the final 4, next year

VN Store

Back