Tennessee Played Well But Not In The Cards

SOC,DD (Same Ole Crap, Different Day).

I give up. Not watching anymore.
I'll give a new coach (if there is one) a chance, but I'm done with Holly and Company.

Bye

The ladies played well but MSU played the way Championship teams have to play, especially at the end of the game. I love the fact that the ladies did not give up and hung in there to the end. We can come up with a lot of what if's but we played our best and got beat. We gave #4 a very hard test. In the end, MSU's defense was more than Tennessee could overcome. Vic has done a super job with a 5 starless team. All and all there is still hope in Knoxville if we continue with the same mentality and effort for the rest of the year.

I'm so proud of Lady vols!! Great job!!.. Can u imagine if Tea'Cooper was playing, or in coming class with this team just team up..This is a game where u see a complete team. Lady vols is shorthanded wt bout 7 or 8 players.. Again, keep on building dis team to a higher level...

Reactions: 1 person
I'm so proud of Lady vols!! Great job!!.. Can u imagine if Tea'Cooper was playing, or in coming class with this team just team up..This is a game where u see a complete team. Lady vols is shorthanded wt bout 7 or 8 players.. Again, keep on building dis team to a higher level...

UConn plays 7 players in their regular rotation. It's not how many players you have, it's what you do with them.

It would be nice to have a team of 15 5***** MCD AAs, but that shouldn't be a requirement to field a contending team.

Reactions: 2 people
Nared, Diamond, and Mercedes are legit, but they can't carry the team all season by themselves.

This is the problem! We have the big 3 (54 points) and hardly anything else. No team with a short bench, just 2 or 3 players, can tolerate having 2 players, Middleton and Jackson, scoring 0 points. This is where the game was lost. Well, 17 turnovers did not help either.

Nared, Diamond, and Mercedes are legit, but they can't carry the team all season by themselves.

Yes, and the other McD AA's I guess are less than legitimate.... I see the Ms State roster and I see no McD's AAs.... NONE!!!! A lot of 3 star players....

And we say that our LVs played great.... we played well... an amazing number of turnovers compared to very few assists.... I think 5 for the whole game.... how can you win a game like that?

I hear the situation would be totally different if Tea was playing.... yes her loss hurts... but where are the other All Americans...... where are they?

I have stopped wishing we will do better... I just congratulate the people who beat us with lesser talented players....

And something we all can agree on i think... that is ...Good coaching, Miss St!!!

This is the problem! We have the big 3 (54 points) and hardly anything else. No team with a short bench, just 2 or 3 players, can tolerate having 2 players, Middleton and Jackson, scoring 0 points. This is where the game was lost. Well, 17 turnovers did not help either.

I agree that this the problem. They need consistent offense from Jordan, Alexa, MeMe and Qui. The Big 3 can put up big numbers and beat the likes of Vanderbilt, but it won't get the job done against a balanced team like MS. They had 2 starters get shut down, but had reserved willing and able to step up. Tennessee does not.

Did they really play "well"? No 3 point makes, ball security a joke, air balls from several guards (you ARE on scholarship) should be able to at least hit the rim! No boxing out at numerous points in the game. Runs of 10 straight points at least twice during the game by State...

Give them credit first of all.. TN is playing without starting guard Tea and they're fighting like this with a #4 team. Great job ladies!!

Yes, and the other McD AA's I guess are less than legitimate.... I see the Ms State roster and I see no McD's AAs.... NONE!!!! A lot of 3 star players....

And we say that our LVs played great.... we played well... an amazing number of turnovers compared to very few assists.... I think 5 for the whole game.... how can you win a game like that?

I hear the situation would be totally different if Tea was playing.... yes her loss hurts... but where are the other All Americans...... where are they?

I have stopped wishing we will do better... I just congratulate the people who beat us with lesser talented players....

And something we all can agree on i think... that is ...Good coaching, Miss St!!!

In fairness to MS 3*** players, Morgan Williams has been a gamer since she set foot in Starkville. Same with Vivians. They may not have been highly acclaimed HS players, but they have been immediate impact players at the college level. Dillingham is probably their best example of a marginal HS player that has been developed throughout her career.

But as you mentioned, you can't hide the fact that one team on the floor today had much better coaching.

Will the first two let anybody else help? They can't keep going one on four for long periods of the game

If they had a competent playmaking PG or efficient player movement off the ball, they wouldn't have to go 1-on-1 all the time.

Diamond and Jaime aren't the problem. They are the band-aid remedy that keeps Tennessee competitive against better coached teams in the absence of a structured offense with a quality PG.

Reactions: 5 people
At 7:07 of the second, we had just seen back to back lost-focus plays. I stood up and yelled "time Out!". . . (sv sitting next to me). . . Behind me I heard "What do we need a timeout for, we're still ahead?"

That is what separates a coach from a fan...We see a different game.

There were four more bad possessions that preceded the "waited for" TV timeout. There were four more possessions that followed the tv timeout, before DD hit a jumper to end the drought.

At 1:01 of the fourth quarter, we still had 3 time outs.
Mississippi State didn't have any left.

Time outs are more than just end of game mechanisms.
They are often momentum changers.

I totally agree, Coach Jumper. Call a timeout to change the momentum. We have a 5'11'' point guard, going against a 5' 5'' guard and we never post her up? Russell, throwing the ball at the rim, hoping that it will fall. Surrounded by three players and no one cutting or moving. Too much standing around, watching to see if a shot is gonna fall, instead of going for the rebound. when you have a mismatch, exploit it! Go Lady Vols!

In fairness to MS 3*** players, Morgan Williams has been a gamer since she set foot in Starkville. Same with Vivians. They may not have been highly acclaimed HS players, but they have been immediate impact players at the college level. Dillingham is probably their best example of a marginal HS player that has been developed throughout her career.

But as you mentioned, you can't hide the fact that one team on the floor today had much better coaching.

Yes understood.... but i ask ... why do we not have any "gamers"???

I am just apoplectic.... and i am beyond criticizing... why do that?

Just say we lost to a better team, whatever the reason...

Good game Miss St.... good luck next time out LVs...

Wait until next year. We have the #1 class of players coming into K-Town. They should shoot lights out.

"Wait until next year." OMG. :thud: I wish I had a quarter for every time this has been said on this forum in the last five years. I would have a hefty sum. Not directed particularly to you W.TN.Orange Blood, just tired of hearing this, year after year.

I'm sorry but shooting 31% is not playing well. I know there are more facets to the game than shooting, but ultimately the game is won by who has the most points. 31% FG does not cut it against any SEC opponent, no matter how well you play defense.
Also, I was not very impressed with MSU. We lost to a mediocre team -- I don't care that they are undefeated, they are not that great.

Well, if they shot 31% there's room for improvement!!

If they had a competent playmaking PG or efficient player movement off the ball, they wouldn't have to go 1-on-1 all the time.

Diamond and Jaime aren't the problem. They are the band-aid remedy that keeps Tennessee competitive against better coached teams in the absence of a structured offense with a quality PG.

we can't have a "structured offense" with Reynolds or Middleton playing PG, I would disagree. We have had a structured offense this season, but not today. We are not beating good teams playing like we played offensively today--playing like we play offensively in almost every game. Nared was 2-10; DD--5 of 15. And we had no treys. The offense was terrible.

RE Timeouts: It's just another indication of how clueless Warlick is. We did not substitute in the 2nd half until Nared fouled out. Do you think our starters could have used another breather or two? It goes without saying--but didn't call any TO's, I don't think. Warlick likes to keep her timeouts and then after the game put them in her refrigerator. How smart do you have to be to realize that if your starters are all playing big minutes, you should use your TOs to give them a breather--and stanch the momentum of the opponent if they get on a roll.

TN is playing without starting guard Tea and they're fighting like this with a #4 team.

Starting guard? Tennessee played 36 games last season. Cooper only started in 15 of them (less than half). I'm not sure I would call her the starting guard. In those games she shot poorly, had more turnovers than assists, and led the team in personal fouls committed. Would she have played better this year if she had been healthy? There is no way to know. It is possible she would have played worse. Again, there is no way to know. As of today, she has yet to prove herself as a valuable member of the team. Like Diamond, she has loads of (unrealized) potential, but the jury is still out.

Reactions: 4 people
At 7:07 of the second, we had just seen back to back lost-focus plays. I stood up and yelled "time Out!". . . (sv sitting next to me). . . Behind me I heard "What do we need a timeout for, we're still ahead?"

That is what separates a coach from a fan...We see a different game.

There were four more bad possessions that preceded the "waited for" TV timeout. There were four more possessions that followed the tv timeout, before DD hit a jumper to end the drought.

At 1:01 of the fourth quarter, we still had 3 time outs.
Mississippi State didn't have any left.

Time outs are more than just end of game mechanisms.
They are often momentum changers.

We all saw the moments/stretches when our players had lost focus at the Vandy game. Going against a top 10 team, the margin of error is so small, we had to bring our 'A' and our mentality had to be tough and focused on the job at hand. I say that because the tone/focus starts at the top. I am with you all the way about the time-outs. I'm asking myself, are they (CHW) not seeing this? (multiple turnover possessions). Again, not just CPS, but any coach would of been in the ear of Middleton and Reynolds. We've all seen CPS, and other top coach's, call a time out just to let a player have it, to get them to re-focus, and settle down. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. Like you I'm sure, we've had to call timeouts to sort of 'reset' the situation, and like you said, change the momentum, but this doesn't happen on our bench. For me, it makes it so hard to watch because these talented ladies need leadership in the game on the sideline. I can recall time's when I was playing in high school and myself as a player on the floor called timeouts because I knew my teammates and I had lost the focus and our vision. CHW, to me, was a spectator to CPS for her time on the bench, you'd think someone who spent that many years with her would resemble her on the sideline as head coach in some way?

:thud:The Lady Vols lost the game entirely due to 17 turnovers and Miss. State scored 18 points off those turnovers. Mississippi State had 10 steals and scored plenty from those. We will continue loses with those kind of turnovers and steals by the opposition team. When is the coaching staff going to do something about this???? Mississippi State only had 7 turnovers!!!!!!! DeShields had 4 turnovers in the game...same crap every game too.:eek:lol:

What exactly is the coach supposed to do about the TO's? Bench DD, who is the leading offender by a long margin? Or Nared, who's #2 on the TO hit parade? Jackson made a couple of spectacular TO's today, but she's not the main problem.

Agree that our ball movement leaves a lot to be desired at times, but that's more on the 3 wings who are standing around on offense and not our PG. We saw in the second quarter today how much the team depends on Reynolds to function on offense. And we were very exposed for our lack of a bench.

VN Store

Back