Tennessee Played Well But Not In The Cards

Our coaching staff is doing the best job they are capable of doing. I doubt if it will get much better, even with next year's recruiting class. It is a very good chance we will be at this same juncture next year, should of, could of but can't. This coaching staff has taken the Lady Vols as far as their abilities will allow, however, the power that be must realize this and move on. No matter what the record shows, it is a good chance, that this is as good as it gets.

I recorded the game and went back and looked at it again. There were mistakes made in the game but we still had a chance to win it in crunch time, however, MSU was more aggressive and wanted the game more. There was standing around, by Russell and others while one or two of our players were fighting for rebounds with three or more MSU players. Russell has to attack the boards. I get the feeling that, at times, she becomes too concerned about fouls. Except for the second quarter, and crunch time, I thought the ladies played well. I still wonder why Holly insist on not calling time outs when the team heads South. After each game she usually has two or more timeouts left. Though MSU was winning, they still called time outs when we seem to turn the momentum our way. Knowledge of the game includes the ability to called timeouts when necessary.

A theory,,,

Making a team play through adversity, instead of saving it, may make it stronger in the future when facing an adversity.

I agree.

But only after the team can prove it can get through that adversity. Until then, I push it further each time out, but catch it if it falls until it CAN master that next-step.

On a side note, Mercedes has been excellent in not getting in foul trouble even when aggressively going for blocks. As long as she can stay on the court, Tennessee can stay in it against most teams.

Reactions: 2 people
On a side note, Mercedes has been excellent in not getting in foul trouble even when aggressively going for blocks. As long as she can stay on the court, Tennessee can stay in it against most teams.

too many minutes. Warlick said the other night after the loss that all the starters are fit and perfectly capable of playing a full two quarters. Wrong! Russell is a very big woman; she cannot play a full game. She gets tired and should be rested three or more times in a game. She got tired in the 2nd quarter of Miss. State game and became very ineffective and our lead disappeared. If we're behind and Warlick thinks she needs to stay on the court, fine--but she is not a lanky guard or wing; she gets tired a lot more quickly than smaller people and should not be playing 40 minutes a game, IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
And yes you are trashing her when you say her shot knees were just an excuse.

Nah, I'm not. Because Draya's problems far preceded her injury to her knee. She was generally never an aggressive offensive player. It just didn't come naturally to her.

This really isn't rocket science. And someone having a differing opinion from you doesn't mean they are "trashing" anyone. Have SEVERAL seats with that foolishness.

In an earlier post you wrote:
When the team makes the same mistakes over and over and over, I think it can be pinned on coaches because it's clear things aren't being done to address it. . . .What changed, besides your "stance"?

I'm not sure how anything I said regarding Draya means I changed my stance on anything. We all know by now our program doesn't develop guards. Nowhere did I place all (or any) blame on her high school coaches at all. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to the college coaches to develop the players they recruit.

You sir, are wrong re Draya...

Nah.

How do you think she got the look from UT in the first place if she wasn't a gamer? Either you don't like the girl, or, you saw a bad game of hers...Draya deserved the look she got.

I never said she didn't deserve an offer here. But ... many athletes are recruited based on potential. Draya was not a ready-made player coming into college by any means, but for the most part she was an athletic specimen with all the potential in the world.

Also Tennessee has missed on several players over the years with offering players who had no business coming here. I don't put Draya in that category, but let's not act like every player that gets an offer to UT deserves one. There are some players you can see from a mile away in a dense fog that they shouldn't be here. But again, I don't put Draya in that category.

Draya and Jasmine Jones both would've benefited immensely from being coached by Pat when Pat was at her best. Because Pat her best would've gotten the best out of both of them. And she wouldn't have tolerated Draya's lack of aggression offensively.

But SHE did not get the training after HS she should have gotten post-HS in college!.

Totally agree with this.

too many minutes. Warlick said the other night after the loss that all the starters are fit and perfectly capable of playing a full two quarters. Wrong! Russell is a very big woman; she cannot play a full game. She gets tired and should be rested three or more times in a game. She got tired in the 2nd quarter of Miss. State game and became very ineffective and our lead disappeared. If we're behind and Warlick thinks she needs to stay on the court, fine--but she is not a lanky guard or wing; she gets tired a lot more quickly than smaller people and should not be playing 40 minutes a game, IMO.

Maybe. We are in the realm of conjecture and you could be spot on. On the other hand, her height to weight actually seems to be on the lower side. And post players can pace themselves a bit more easily than guards who are often in a more frenetic mode. Russell disappeared when Jordan and Nared went out; and those two players had been crashing the boards and occupying MSU's post; without their presence, the liabilities of Mercedes finesse game came to the fore; she was muscled off the boards. Perhaps fatigue played into it but she generally gets muscled off post position by stronger post players. She has excellent skills for a 6-6 player but she is lacking in the ability to body up against wide body posts.

Last edited:
Agreed. What got me was the statement that her "shot knees" were an "excuse", as if she suffered from some kind of character flaw that prevented her from playing through her injuries. Rubbish. I have no doubt her injuries were real and that they affected her play. But I also recognize that whether it was injuries or coaching, she didn't make that much of an impact especially on the offensive end of the floor. I think it's possible to recognize her lack of impact without trashing her for making "excuses" as the other poster did.

Ok, I see the issue. I worded it "what was her excuse". I definitely didn't mean it that way. Very poor wording on my part and I didn't realize I had worded it that way. I really meant it as "the" excuse and excuses being made on her behalf. I like Draya a lot. I even mentioned her being a nice person and a great teammate. :) But yes I think Draya lacked confidence and an aggressive mindset offensively, and I wish she had had someone to give her that confidence and light the fire. With her physical skills, it could've been something special.

In the end, Draya's main downfall was lack of a coach and coaching staff that would make her get better. She certainly isn't the only player who can say this. JJ is another one that had insane potential that was never tapped in the way it was recognized for Izzy and Glory.

Last edited:
Ok, I see the issue. I worded it "what was her excuse". I definitely didn't mean it that way. Very poor wording on my part and I didn't realize I had worded it that way. I really meant it as "the" excuse and excuses being made on her behalf. I like Draya a lot. I even mentioned her being a nice person and a great teammate. :) But yes I think Draya lacked confidence and an aggressive mindset offensively, and I wish she had had someone to give her that confidence and light the fire. With her physical skills, it could've been something special.

In the end, Draya's main downfall was lack of a coach and coaching staff that would make her get better. She certainly isn't the only player who can say this. JJ is another one that had insane potential that was never tapped in the way it was recognized for Izzy and Glory.

Draya had an incredibly injury checkered career. She was looking like a promising freshman but a shoulder injury and surgery ended that campaign. A brief look at her bio shows a lot of promise in her redshirt freshman and sophomore seasons but then the knee and ankle problems started to kick in. You can't underestimate how much injuries can disrupt training and skill building and create very genuine self-doubts; playing through pain and physical limitations is just not easy.

I know it feels so GOOOOD to frame such matters as morality tale of an athlete just not wanting it enough or coaches just not being tough enough (more shooting drills or it is the lash for you!) but sometimes, an athlete does not develop just because of a really crappy luck with injuries. Full stop; end of story-- Carter, Baugh, Cain are a few that come to mind in the LV program; I think Jasmine Jones falls into that set as well.

Nah, I'm not. Because Draya's problems far preceded her injury to her knee. She was generally never an aggressive offensive player. It just didn't come naturally to her.

This really isn't rocket science. And someone having a differing opinion from you doesn't mean they are "trashing" anyone. Have SEVERAL seats with that foolishness.

I don't think anyone here disagrees that Carter wasn't an aggressive offensive player. That isn't the issue. The issue is in a previous post you said she used her knees as an "excuse".

EDIT...I see in a subsequent post you recognize the use of the word excuse was a poor choice of words. Fair enough. Nothing more to be said.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here disagrees that Carter wasn't an aggressive offensive player. That isn't the issue. The issue is in a previous post you said she used her knees as an "excuse".

EDIT...I see in a subsequent post you recognize the use of the word excuse was a poor choice of words. Fair enough. Nothing more to be said.

I do not think she was a good shooter mainly because of her Knees.... Everyone should know you do not shoot without your legs!!!! That is why most teams pressure
and try and wear a team down so at the end of the game.....their legs are gone and cannot shoot at a high percentage!

Shoulder surgery as a Freshman and leg/knee problems led to her not being much of an offensive player??

BOY am I sorry I brought it up.

My final statement: She was plenty offensive in high school until she got hurt her senior year. (That sounds bad--"plenty offensive" )in addition to defense and rebounding and assists. And NO PLAYER sacrificed herself over the last 5 years at UT like Draya, diving for the ball,taking charges, etc.

Last edited:
BOY am I sorry I brought it up.

My final statement: She was plenty offensive in high school until she got hurt her senior year. (That sounds bad--"plenty offensive" )in addition to defense and rebounding and assists. And NO PLAYER sacrificed herself over the last 5 years at UT like Draya, diving for the ball,taking charges, etc.

Technically she played 3 1/3 years.

No one's arguing that she didn't play hard...Just that she wasn't very good.

The ladies played well but MSU played the way Championship teams have to play, especially at the end of the game. I love the fact that the ladies did not give up and hung in there to the end. We can come up with a lot of what if's but we played our best and got beat. We gave #4 a very hard test. In the end, MSU's defense was more than Tennessee could overcome. Vic has done a super job with a 5 starless team. All and all there is still hope in Knoxville if we continue with the same mentality and effort for the rest of the year.

Well now that I'm finally over this game. . .
I agree teacherdan, I felt we were fighting for the W the whole game. I actually thought we would pull it out. It was a disappointing loss but there is some consolation in the way we played.

My stance has never wavered.,,,This coaching staff has one very obvious missing ingredient.

A coach who can :

- Read each player and understand what they need verbally and emotionally to be their best before each contest and within each contest, that same coach must be able to Rip into a player if they need it U]without[/U] taking away her drive for that game. Who can also "build up a player" when her confidence is down.(An Alpha Coach).

- A skills and drills coach, who understands what practice drills are needed to correct the last game's deficiencies. And has new and interesting drills that precisely pinpointing the necessary mechanics that are deficient.

-A coach who will assist Holly without trembling when she speaks to them and will give her the feedback she needs, NOT!! just the feedback she WANTS.

This is what we lost with Pat and this is what has to be replaced before we reach that level again.

And I am applying for the position!

I don't in any way claim to be Pat's equal, but I do fully claim to be the coach I just described.

So whose spot will you take?

So whose spot will you take?

A simple suggestion.
Won't cost a nickel....Practices are closed anyway,
so

Invite Coach Jumper to run a practice session.
Take a real look.

Or give him a task..
Can he teach Jaime how to do a contact layup?
Can he give MR's jumphook some eyes?
Can he really inspire DD with one workout?

Then if he is worth a second look, he can take the place of the coach that get the most nervous.

A simple suggestion.
Won't cost a nickel....Practices are closed anyway,
so

Take a real look.

Or give him a task..

Then if he is worth a second look, he can take the place of the coach that get the most nervous.

3 questions, if I may.

Why are you referring to yourself in the third person ?
You want Holly to replace one of the existing coaches with you ?
Can the restraining order be far behind ?

Reactions: 8 people
Someone I doubt that adding someone with zero college coaching experience into the mix (is another coach at practice an NCAA rules violation?) is going to be a solution to this team's many problems.

Not your best effort Gule.

Let me take a stab at them then..

Someone I doubt that adding someone with zero college coaching experience into the mix (is another coach at practice an NCAA rules violation?) is going to be a solution to this team's many problems.

I was NCAA certified two years ago... Not that difficult to get re-certified.

3 answers

because it identifies who would be running a practice session.
yes.
only in Obamaville.

1 - If you insert I and me into the below statements, they become far less effective. . . Because I am saying what I am saying as if I was representing myself to a third party.

2- I want this program to stop falling and start being -feared again. These girls deserve to be coached... By the entire staff, not just HW. . . Losing to Ole Miss pissed me off. Holly finally used a timeout to stop a run.

Granted it was a very unusual time to take a time out, but look at what happened. . . No score from OM to finish that qtr followed by a 21-6 run to open the third. . . . Then they were pocketed again.

I have headed many games and often my assistants on the bench had different perspectives. Many times they saved my butt because I was so focused on bad ref-bad effort-bad whatever, that I forgot to call my game.

This is WHY you have assistants, to "have your bacK." .... To think about this when you are focused on that... Sometimes I would just turn to my assistants and sshh them. But most of the time, they saw what I missed. And I humbly thanked them.

3- Only in Obamaville.

3 questions, if I may.

Why are you referring to yourself in the third person ?
You want Holly to replace one of the existing coaches with you ?
Can the restraining order be far behind ?

A simple suggestion.
Won't cost a nickel....

Take a real look.

Or give him a task..

VN Store

Back