Tennessee-Memphis series is back on

Thanks guys

Pretty sure you play a third opponent outside of those 2 days

Yea but not in consecutive day I don’t believe, it’s like Maui...you play a garbage team at home and even if you lose you still are in the tourney, not the other team.

From what I've heard, Memphis gave up the demand for the football series to get the first game in Memphis next year. The Grizzlies (who lease FedExForum to the Tigers) are really upset about the pathetic attendance (and schedule) that Memphis Tiger basketball has played the last 4 years. There are provisions in the Tigers lease that give the Grizzlies the ability to boot the Tigers from FEF (that's the real reason Tubby was fired).

Yeah that is basically it....it was a money deal and there's no Pyramid to go back to now...Forum is IT!!!....otherwise there's not much of a reason to hire an unproven college level coach (never even an assistant at college level...). It's a humongous risk and they know it...Hopefully for Memphis sake he'll be good and recruit to overcome his lack of experience ...But hiring Hardaway will bring money back immediately and it would take a 3-4 year disaster to negatively affect the money issue probably so they really had NO OTHER CHOICE but to fire Tubby and hire ONLY Hardaway...we currently have a very close friend who was on Pastners staff and held on with Tubby...we're waiting to see if he'll be retained by Hardaway...He knows its shaky ground for sure...But I seriously doubt you will EVER see Vols play a home in home football with Memphis...would be impossible from UT's perspective...

Plus, the city hasn't had good talent the last couple of years. Only one was Jalen Fisher, and there were various opinions among coaches about him.

Memphis doesn’t produce the talent, year in and year out for it to be your primary area of recruiting and maintain a national contender. Few cities in US can

Penny will be able to go anywhere. He’ll be more of a challenger to UK than Tennessee IF Penny can coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe this and hiring WR Coach Johnson will get us more competitive in West Tennessee for top football recruits. Right now LSU, Ole Miss, Arky and Memphis are cleaning up.

Maybe this and hiring WR Coach Johnson will get us more competitive in West Tennessee for top football recruits. Right now LSU, Ole Miss, Arky and Memphis are cleaning up.

You need to differentiate West TN and Memphis. Rural west TN is big orange country.

Memphis suburbs have many UT fans. I think Pruitt can do fine in Memphis- he started with Carvin and Banks. Coach Johnson's real connections are in Louisiana.

Reactions: 2 people

I wouldn’t say Memphis is “cleaning up” as far as talent taken in the Memphis area. Basically they are a school that can take transfers that are talented but just didn’t work out in P5 schools...Ferguson comes to mind immediately...but they basically still take the leftovers after the SEC plunders the best players..,,

You need to differentiate West TN and Memphis. Rural west TN is big orange country.

Memphis suburbs have many UT fans. I think Pruitt can do fine in Memphis- he started with Carvin and Banks. Coach Johnson's real connections are in Louisiana.

Yep once you leave Memphis heading east it’s pretty solid orange and going west is pretty solid razorback going north is pretty solid Missouri and Kentucky and going south it’s Ole Miss Mississippi State Alabama etc.

Memphis doesn’t produce the talent, year in and year out for it to be your primary area of recruiting and maintain a national contender. Few cities in US can

Penny will be able to go anywhere. He’ll be more of a challenger to UK than Tennessee IF Penny can coach.
Maybe initially but at some point he will have to prove that he can coach on that level ....recruits will see right through that pretty quick if he can’t ... and nobody knows about that part yet ....

I disagree with that. Although the past few years haven't been as strong, a college team with Chioza (UF), KJ and Dedric Lawson (Kansas - Most reports say Dedric is best player on KU - Both are sitting out this year), LeGerald Vick (Kansas), Jonathan Williams (Gonzaga), I. Stokes (UF), J. Fisher (TCU), Nick King (MTSU), Jeremiah Martin (Memphis) would be really good. Skal would be just a junior as well had he not declared. And that list is just from top of my head.

And there are some really good players in the 19 and 20 pipeline in the Memphis area. It's set up well for Penny.

Last edited:
Great. Growing up a UT fan in Memphis, beating the Tigers in basketball was always one of my favorite sports moments each year it happened.

I disagree with that. Although the past few years haven't been as strong, a college team with Chioza (UF), KJ and Dedric Lawson (Kansas - Most reports say Dedric is best player on KU - Both are sitting out this year), LeGerald Vick (Kansas), Jonathan Williams (Gonzaga), I. Stokes (UF), J. Fisher (TCU), Nick King (MTSU), Jeremiah Martin (Memphis) would be really good. Skal would be just a junior as well had he not declared. And that list is just from top of my head.

And there are some really good players in the 19 and 20 pipeline in the Memphis area. It's set up well for Penny.

I expected someone to disagree. Memphis arrogance. That’s fine. I said EVERY YEAR. This is one group and I still don’t see a NC contender on your roster. Sorry.

I used to live in Louisiana and even they say LSU can’t be a consistent contender with just La talent. And that’s a state about 5x bigger than Memphis

I expected someone to disagree. Memphis arrogance. That’s fine. I said EVERY YEAR. This is one group and I still don’t see a NC contender on your roster. Sorry.

I used to live in Louisiana and even they say LSU can’t be a consistent contender with just La talent. And that’s a state about 5x bigger than Memphis

Not sure why you are so contentious. I thought he was respectful in his answer. Nothing to do with arrogance.

Bottom line is there is very good talent from Memphis on other rosters. In fact, they were on 4 tournament teams. If they were on the same team, it would itself be a tournament team that could win a few games.

They may not have to "only" rely on Memphis kids, but they are about to probably get four 4/5 stars in 2019 from the Memphis area. Along with Lomax, that would be their starting 5. Plus, I think Penny has laid the groundwork at the AAU level even out of state. His name will resonate when he gets local commitments.

Last edited:
Not sure why you are so contentious. I thought he was respectful in his answer. Nothing to do with arrogance.

Bottom line is there is very good talent from Memphis on other rosters. In fact, they were on 4 tournament teams. If they were on the same team, it would itself be a tournament team that could win a few games.

They may not have to "only" rely on Memphis kids, but they are about to probably get four 4/5 stars in 2019 from the Memphis area. Along with Lomax, that would be their starting 5. Plus, I think Penny has laid the groundwork at the AAU level even out of state. His name will resonate when he gets local commitments.

1) I said Memphis would not produce talent Every Year necessary to be able to compete EVERY YEAR. You guys are picking a team from one season. Even then, I’m not sure there’s enough big men to be a national contender on your rosters
2) I said Penny would be a national recruiting factor not just in Memphis. That said even Penny won’t be able to sign EVERY college level prospect from Memphis.

I can name 3 teams off the top of my head with Nashville area players on it in the tourney and no one wildly thinks Nashville produces enough talent to build a national contender around every year.

Last edited:
Love it. I believe that every big school in a state should play the other big schools in that state every year. Bragging rights come in all shapes and forms, and being able to definitively say we were the best team in the state is always dope!

It's a bit trickier with football because of the limited number of games, but in basketball I think we should be playing Vandy (duh), Memphis, and MTSU every year.

According to MemphisCanes, UM requested an annual football series in order to agree to an annual basketball series. Tennessee declined. Tifwiw.
Except for the last 2-3 years, having Memphis on the football sec. has not been good for who have you beaten out of conference. Many people who make season ending decisions what to know who you beat that counted. Not the cream puffs . Which Memphis has been for most of history. (Not lately)

Ask Ole Miss about playing them every year. It is a no win for the Rebs; when they win "so what" when they lose "my god, they lost to Memphis State". To me, playing Memphis is a lose lose deal.

VN Store

Back