Tennessee-Memphis series is back on

This will help recruiting for UT in the Memphis area.

As long as Penny is at Memphis, we are going to struggle to get elite kids out of Memphis. Penny had significant TSSAA issues while at East. We had some chances the past several years to make inroads during the end of Pastner's tenure and Tubby's tenure but we had our owning turmoil (Martin to Tyndall to Barnes) as well as Barnes not making Memphis a priority at all (smartly maybe given the FBI investigation).

i Don’t think Tennessee needs Memphis in hoops now as much as Memphis does. Facts are that Vols ptrobsvly aren’t going to sign many that Penny wants in Shelby Co. And Tennessee can spend their time elsewhere with better results.

Memphis needs to sell tickets. Their conference doesn’t do a lot for them in that regard since so many are far away. Memphis needs games with Vols, Ole Miss and Ark, etc regularly to help sell season ticket packages

Reactions: 1 person
As long as Penny is at Memphis, we are going to struggle to get elite kids out of Memphis. Penny had significant TSSAA issues while at East. We had some chances the past several years to make inroads during the end of Pastner's tenure and Tubby's tenure but we had our owning turmoil (Martin to Tyndall to Barnes) as well as Barnes not making Memphis a priority at all (smartly maybe given the FBI investigation).

Plus, the city hasn't had good talent the last couple of years. Only one was Jalen Fisher, and there were various opinions among coaches about him.

I think it should strictly be and home and home. Not a fan of neutral site games

I always thought the “come to an area to play for recruiting purposes” was overrated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kid say “I started considering that school because such and such came to town and played the local team”

Reactions: 3 people
I think it should strictly be and home and home. Not a fan of neutral site games

I love it, they’re talking about making it a 8 team 4 game event that would be a whole day of basketball...I think that would be awesome for the state and provide some great exposure.

Reactions: 3 people
I love it, they’re talking about making it a 8 team 4 game event that would be a whole day of basketball...I think that would be awesome for the state and provide some great exposure.

Where did you see that?

Who would the other teams be?

In general though I don’t like neutral site games

Memphis
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
ETSU
Belmont
Lipscomb
UT Chattanooga
Tennessee State

Would that be the 8 you think?

Memphis
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
ETSU
Belmont
Lipscomb
UT Chattanooga
Tennessee State

Would that be the 8 you think?

Based on the last couple of years...

Austin Peay over TSU
MTSU over Memphis

Last edited:
That’s not exactly an even swap.

Pastner didn’t want us down there and saw no benefit in playing it.

Doubt you’ll see us play them in football for 3 straight years to coincide with this series.

I don't necessarily disagree. Cal didn't want us down there recruiting. Pastner didn't seem to care as much, though not a fan of the idea, but Memphis brass wanted a football series in some capacity to play a basketball series. Tennessee didn't oblige, and the series was nixed after the final game in 2013-14 (IIRC).

So we might play Vandy 3+ times in a year?

The only team we would play in this scenario is Memphis. The others are just TN programs that might be a part of a day full of intrastate games.

It's somewhat similar to the year that we played Western Kentucky at Bridgestone (formerly Sommet). Memphis played MTSU in the early game. I went, and it was a cool event.

Last edited:

We've always struggled in that department.

Very excited about this, have been waiting for a game here since we moved to the Memphis area 6 years ago.

VN Store

Back