Tennessee-Memphis series is back on

Tennessee state invitational would be a cool name lol

latest

?

Memphis worries more about Tennessee than Kansas (Tarik Black, Vick, both Lawsons) or Kentucky (DJ Jeffries, Wiseman, Skal)?

Clarity:

Tarik Black was a graduate transfer with no remaining eligibility in Memphis

Both Lawsons transferred as a result of their daddy's urination contest with Tubby

DJ Jeffries wishes he'd waited and may change his mind anyway

James Wiseman will be a Tiger this time next year

Skal wishes he were a Tiger

OrangeAllDay said it.... read

Really? I think I said their history is overrated cause it is. If you read that as UT has better history than them, then I’m sorry your reading comprehension sucks. I can’t help you with that. Prolly should find a good English teacher.

Also if you read “they hate living in our shadow” as “UT has better history than Memphis basketball” I have no help for you. You know what they say about assuming.

As a university we’re big brother. It’s why they have a inferiority complex. I can’t believe I have to say Memphis has a better history than UT in basketball. That should be a given.

Also if you read “they hate living in our shadow” as “UT has better history than Memphis basketball” I have no help for you. You know what they say about assuming.

As a university we’re big brother. It’s why they have a inferiority complex. I can’t believe I have to say Memphis has a better history than UT in basketball. That should be a given.

I agree but I think Barnes is going to start this leaning our way.

as a university UT is the State's flag ship land grant school whereas Memphis was just meant to be a small teachers college...then throw in the fact UT is in the SEC getting a 30 million dollar TV check every year and yeah...we live in different words.

all that said Tubby Smith wasn't the right fit here. He refused to engage with the fans, he refused to put any effort into recruiting, and to top it all off he put out a product that could barely draw 4500 people to games...he had to go.

In just one month as the Memphis HC Penny has secured commitments from:

Antwann Jones
Antwann Jones, Oak Ridge, Shooting Guard

Tyler Harris
Tyler Harris, Cordova, Point Guard

Alex Lomax
Alex Lomax, East, Point Guard

and rumor is he's about to sign Malcolm Dandridge
Malcolm Dandridge, East, Center (BK)

Tubby went after all these kids and struck out each time...

**EDIT: and I'm glad the series is back on...it's good for both of our programs***

Last edited:
Memphis is paranoid about UT because they know we are the only school who could ever gain a stranglehold on that city and it’s recruits.
Oh, it goes back much, much further in time than you might realize.

In 1969, Memphis had HS graduates Larry Finch, Johnny Neumann, Walter Rucker Mike Vosburgh (to Miss St) among several others.

It all started when Ray Mears stole into M-Town and rode off with prime recruit, Larry Mansfield. Mansfield returned to help recruit the Class Of '69 having had played three sports with and against Rucker, Vosburgh and Finch. The reporting on Mansfield's "defection" was covered harshly by The Commercial Appeal/Press Scimitar and Mansfield was hot about it. He pulled together Neumann et al and convinced them that Memphis State basketball was, and it was, the pits. Moe Iba was an old school defense-wins coach who tried to keep scores under 60ppg. Unsuccessful, the Tigers did not win a conference game in the 67-68 season, only won 6 games overall.

Neumann split to Ole Miss, Vosburgh to Miss St, and Rucker turned down several SEC offers and disappeared. Tiger fans, from that day forward, hated UT, UT basketball in particular, as they ended up being an off-guard short of winning a natty four years later.

Bill Walton Greatest Games: 44 Points vs Memphis State (1973 NCAA FInal) - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumbledorange

VN Store

Back