Tennessee has real momentum this spring

Um no Sugar bowl berth was already gone at that point but good try

No, i think he was right. Here's the timeline as I recall it:

We went into USCe with a berth to Atlanta on the line. If we'd won out, we would've ended up 6-2 in the SEC with the tie-breaker over 6-2 Florida. Losing to USCe cost us any chance at that (short of Florida losing to LSU).

Then, after the USCe loss and before the Vandy game, we still had the possibility of a 9-3 season and "best in the SEC outside of Bama" which could've gotten us a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Not guaranteed, but it looked quite possible (would come down to our relative ranking vs the winner of LSU-Florida).

So my memory says he was right; Sugar Bowl was (potentially) on the line with the Vandy game. Technically, Atlanta was as well, though it would depend on FL losing to LSU (which, of course, they didn't).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I see what you did there. Very amusing.

giphy_1_6.gif

Reactions: 3 people
Jesus Christ.

Everything positive within the program gives everyone within the program hope and a sense of going in the right direction. Just like a pick six can change the momentum in a game. Heading in the right direction.

Why is this so fawking difficult?

CBJ is endorsing the team as being the product of his choosing.

He could be like all the cliche coaches and poor mouth the team.

I kind of like him saying good things. Builds confidence and accountability.

So again, please explain to me....

You frequently fall back to this line of defense, Bearded. Trying to force the person with whom you disagree to "prove a negative" that you control (your opinion).

It always reminds me of the completely deaf person gleefully and spitefully telling the person they hate, over and over again, "I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU, PLEASE SPEAK LOUDER!"

Forgive me for not playing that game with you. If you're deaf, you're deaf. I'm not gonna cure you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
It's good to read some positives about our Vols no matter who wrote it or is quoted in it.
Now whether this is momentum or not for the season I don't know. I do know it's positives that the players,coaches and recruits can use as summer goes by and into football season.

Momentum in sports is NOTHING more than your own mind trying to convince you that after a string of good events, plays, wins, that it will continue. That's it.

Reactions: 1 person
Momentum in sports is NOTHING more than your own mind trying to convince you that after a string of good events, plays, wins, that it will continue. That's it.

Spend some time (I mean years, not days) on a team. Any kind of team that involves spurts of maximum effort from time to time.

When you're done, if you never felt the benefits of momentum, you were either (1) on a terrible team the entire time, or (2) somehow blind to human spirit and its effects.

It's a lot deeper and more vibrant than the words you just wrote. They're technically true, but miss so much of what's important about momentum.

Reactions: 5 people
It is the feeling of energy you get when things are going your way. You gain confidence and can become fearless. The opposing team can feel overwhelmed and lose focus.

It is all about focus,confidence, and playing with energy(hustle).

If you want to call that momentum then so be it but none of that has anything to do with what happens in the future, which is what the premise of momentum is based on.

Reactions: 2 people

When a competitor gets in the "zone", I believe they have triggered their adrinaline gland. Instead of bugging out, they become razor focused and become more powerful and faster than typical.

Basically they ball out. It's when they come down from that rush, they need a breather.

Who said, "freebase GBO"?

I'll take 2.

Spend some time (I mean years, not days) on a team. Any kind of team that involves spurts of maximum effort from time to time.

When you're done, if you never felt the benefits of momentum, you were either (1) on a terrible team the entire time, or (2) somehow blind to human spirit and its effects.

It's a lot deeper and more vibrant than the words you just wrote. They're technically true, but miss so much of what's important about momentum.

If momentum is such a powerful thing then why can it be taken away so easily on a single play?

If momentum is such a powerful thing then why can it be taken away so easily on a single play?

Because the human mind, and collective mood, are fickle things. They don't process change as fast as modern computers, but they are still hella fast. And very sensitive to a wide array of inputs.

Momentum is powerful, but can also be fragile. That doesn't mean it isn't valuable to have. It's worth more than gold.

p.s. Analogy to your question: if my computer is supposedly so gosh-darn powerful, millions of calculations per second and all, why does it crash so often? And the answer is the same: because that great power can easily be interrupted by the wrong kinds of inputs; it's fragile sometimes.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with that statement, to some extent. I just fail to see how the three items mentioned, contribute to a sense of momentum going into the 2017 season.

So far, neither you nor anyone else posting in the thread has been able to qualify in any way, how they do so, but rather you've offered up vagaries of "belief" as a substitute.

So again, please explain to me how specifically the 2017 NFL draftees, the current APR, and the 2018 recruiting prospects, provide momentum going into the 2017 season.
i would offer up my response to Fade as my opinion on the matter.

Because the human mind, and collective mood, are fickle things. They don't process change as fast as modern computers, but they are still hella fast. And very sensitive to a wide array of inputs.

Momentum is powerful, but can also be fragile. That doesn't mean it isn't valuable to have. It's worth more than gold.

p.s. Analogy to your question: if my computer is supposedly so gosh-darn powerful, millions of calculations per second and all, why does it crash so often? And the answer is the same: because that great power can easily be interrupted by the wrong kinds of inputs; it's fragile sometimes.

The concept of momentum implies that good things will continue simply because they are currently happening. Its a fallacy. What if a player or two gets arrested this summer? What if we lose to Ga Tech or have a bunch of injuries in Fall camp? What would have happened to all the supposed momentum?

Reverse momentum, when it seems the team can do noting right and everything seems to be going wrong. The candy and scar games for example(?). This is why team character is very important. Good MO/ Bad Mo.

The concept of momentum implies that good things will continue simply because they are currently happening. Its a fallacy. What if a player or two gets arrested this summer? What if we lose to Ga Tech or have a bunch of injuries in Fall camp? What would have happened to all the supposed momentum?

it would have gone in favor of the opponent?:p

i get the consternation over the word 'momentum'. it's not quantifiable. but that doesn't mean it's not real. it also doesn't mean it's endless. just like waves in the ocean, they eventually crash on the shores.:eek:lol:

The concept of momentum implies that good things will continue simply because they are currently happening. Its a fallacy.

Not at all.

It implies that we are doing well at our tasks, and will continue to perform well.

Ever have a day when you were just "on"? Could do no wrong? Hit every ball out of the park?

That feeling, that confidence, is momentum at the individual level. It has nothing to do with the "law of averages" or "flipping a coin 10 times in a row and getting heads." It's about self-confidence, and at the team level, confidence in your teammates and your game plan.

See the difference? One is about the universe (chance) randomly acting in your favor, while the other is about you performing well on your own behalf and gaining confidence from it so that you continue to perform at that level. The latter is momentum.

Hugely different.

Define momentum

It's pretty basic word. Do you really need me to do that for you?

This is from the Oxford Dictionary of sports science.

the positive or negative change in cognition, affect, physiology, and behavior caused by an event or series of events that affects either the perceptions of the competitors or, perhaps, the quality of performance and the outcome of the competition. Positive momentum is associated with periods of competition, such as a winning streak, in which everything seems to ‘go right’ for the competitors. In contrast, negative momentum is associated with periods, such as a losing streak, when everything seems to ‘go wrong’

Reactions: 5 people
You frequently fall back to this line of defense, Bearded. Trying to force the person with whom you disagree to "prove a negative" that you control (your opinion).

It always reminds me of the completely deaf person gleefully and spitefully telling the person they hate, over and over again, "I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU, PLEASE SPEAK LOUDER!"

Forgive me for not playing that game with you. If you're deaf, you're deaf. I'm not gonna cure you.

Could have saved yourself some time, and just typed "I don't know.":good!:

VN Store

Back