Tennessee has real momentum this spring

I think you are willfully confusing the concepts of "contradictory" and "negative". My statement is contradictory, but contradictory =/= negative.

so would you be equally contradictory if the article was poo pooing all that as smoke and mirrors, and the reality is TN has a long way to go, and no team that loses to USCe and Vandy has any business thinking about greener pastures in the future?

or would you simply give it a big thumbs up?

if you want to take issue with the word 'momentum', fine. but just to be a contrarian when something is shed in a positive light, is basically what JP described.

i'm all for criticism and reality checks. i'm also for promotion of the university and the program.

Reactions: 13 people
We finished off last year losing to Vandy with a Sugar Bowl birth on the line. Far as can tell there are no games in spring. Plenty to criticize.

I agree about last year. I'm trying to start off fresh with a new year. Recruiting is way ahead of last years pace....imo . New coaching staff has a positive vibe too

Reactions: 2 people
Define momentum

It is the feeling of energy you get when things are going your way. You gain confidence and can become fearless. The opposing team can feel overwhelmed and lose focus.

It is all about focus,confidence, and playing with energy(hustle).

Reactions: 6 people
so would you be equally contradictory if the article was poo pooing all that as smoke and mirrors, and the reality is TN has a long way to go, and no team that loses to USCe and Vandy has any business thinking about greener pastures in the future?

or would you simply give it a big thumbs up?

if you want to take issue with the word 'momentum', fine. but just to be a contrarian when something is shed in a positive light, is basically what JP described.

i'm all for criticism and reality checks. i'm also for promotion of the university and the program.

Hypothetical statement is hypothetical.

You're trying to find "negativity" in my statement because it's contradictory to what Butch said. I just don't think any of the things that he listed contribute to "momentum going into 2017", Butch does, if I'd been on the call I'd of asked him to explain how they contribute momentum to the 2017 season.

Reactions: 1 person
Define momentum

Okay, I'll let Wiktionary do it for us:

momentum (plural momentums or momenta)

1. (physics) (of a body in motion) The tendency of a body to maintain its inertial motion; the product of its mass and velocity.
2. The impetus, either of a body in motion, or of an idea or course of events.

Here's my stab at a definition more specifically crafted around combat and sport: momentum is a feeling of confidence and drive that comes as a by-product of past success. It affects the team's outlook and approach to upcoming challenges. It can motivate and inspire groups to perform well beyond their norm.

That's momentum.

As for whether it's real or not...I know it is. Over 30 years in uniform, I saw the benefits of its presence (and the cost of its absence) more times than I can count. It is very real, even if you can't touch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Hypothetical statement is hypothetical.

You're trying to find "negativity" in my statement because it's contradictory to what Butch said. I just don't think any of the things that he listed contribute to "momentum going into 2017", Butch does, if I'd been on the call I'd of asked him to explain how they contribute momentum to the 2017 season.

Funny thing about momentum...if the players and coaches BELIEVE these past successes (on or off the field) give them momentum on the field, they will gain momentum on the field.

It doesn't matter at all whether YOU see the linkage or not.

Reactions: 9 people
Funny thing about momentum...if the players and coaches BELIEVE these past successes (on or off the field) give them momentum on the field, they will gain momentum on the field.

Amen.

The author cites Jones on the 2017 NFL Draftees, improved APR, and the 2018 recruiting prospects in the article.

I'm not sure how any of those three items have any bearing on whether or not UT has 'momentum' going into the 2017 season.

Current player have faith that the training they received is top notch. Go to Tn to get drafted, graduate if you stay, and win Championships.

So far no SEC or NCs.

Stop wasting time Butch.

Last edited:
Im not sure momentum is even a real thing is sports. A streak of good news means momentum? A few scores or wins in a row? Maybe it inspires confidence in players and fans but I don't think it has any bearing on future outcomes.

Possibly your dumbest post...and that REALLY says something.

I do not disagree with that statement, to some extent. I just fail to see how the three items mentioned, contribute to a sense of momentum going into the 2017 season.

So far, neither you nor anyone else posting in the thread has been able to qualify in any way, how they do so, but rather you've offered up vagaries of "belief" as a substitute.

So again, please explain to me how specifically the 2017 NFL draftees, the current APR, and the 2018 recruiting prospects, provide momentum going into the 2017 season.

Last edited:
We finished off last year losing to Vandy with a Sugar Bowl birth on the line. Far as can tell there are no games in spring. Plenty to criticize.

Um no Sugar bowl berth was already gone at that point but good try

VN Store

Back