Tennessee draft streak

"After All, Tomorrow's another day"
I'm thankful for all the tomorrow's I can get, that's for sure.

Here's an article on the subject. Not much information, but kind of interesting to see it being covered in the media...

Cornerback Justin Coleman looks to keep Vols' draft streak alive

I hope he is drafted - mainly for the streak because I think it is valuable in recruiting. Does anyone know where the list is of current NCAA teams with this streak or is there a compiled list?

I don't know where a list is kept, but according to the article posted above, a site named STATS keeps one; and only Notre Dame, Michigan, Southern California, Michigan State, Florida, and Nebraska had longer streaks... don't know about the rest, but UF has had a player drafted every year since 1952.

To all Jones should win regardless people, he's working with Dooley's **** sandwich. Hard to win with Sewanee talent. Our best player, Johnson may have raped somebody and he was slow as hell And wasn't going to get drafted high. Dooley go **** yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To all Jones should win regardless people, he's working with Dooley's **** sandwich. Hard to win with Sewanee talent. Our best player, Johnson May have rapes somebody and he was slow as hell And wasn't going to get drafted high. Dooley go **** yourself.

Again, it's about finding a way to score more than nine points, not winning the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
Now UT can tell recruits UT has signed an NFL player every year since 1963. They won't know the difference.

At least you admit you Don't care about the players, just if they make you feel better about your team. Of course you're old and hateful, so your entitlement fits you like a glove.

That's what you got out that? Read anything extra into it?

Where did I say I didn't care about the players? Just because a player gets drafted in the 5-7 rounds doesn't mean he's on the team when the final cuts are made.

Yes, I want all Vol players to succeed. I'm just more interested in their time at UT.

Mean something? Of course it means something. We're talking about it, which alone is proof that it's one of those stats out there that serve as indicators of the long-term success of a program over decades. # of wins all-time ... # of bowls and bowl wins all-time ... # of NFL players all-time ... # of years with an NFL draftee ... etc.

There are small "clubs" of teams at the top end of each of those lists. Tennessee is in most of them. But we just got shown the door on this one, and--unfortunately--it's one you can never get back into once you're out. That's the real pity of the streak getting broken.

Plus, this is one of those markers you can put down on the coffee table in that 5* high school recruit's living room. Want to get to the NFL, son? We've sent players there every single year ... only six teams in all of College football can say that. Oops. We can't say that any more.

It's not a catastrophe, we still have a ton of other positive selling points in recruiting, and other laurels to show that we're one of the all-time elite programs in the nation. But each time we lose one of those, it's painful. As it should be.

That's why it means something.

I see what you're saying but it's not the end of the world as you said.

Bama didn't have anyone drafted in '08. I think they've found a work-around in their recruiting pitch. I think the more important figure is the number of players in the NFL/ on rosters. Bray wasn't drafted but he's been on the Chiefs rosters. Wasn't Simms an UFDA as well?

Again, it's about finding a way to score more than nine points, not winning the SEC.

How many did florida have go pro? My point, they had better, older talent than Tennessee. We were the under dog in the game. Even though we scored 9 points and you feel we should have won, we were the under dog. Btw, Worley had a Peyton Manning vs Florida type of game and he played a big part in us not winning. If he doesn't throw picks and we kick fgs we win the game.

Mean something? Of course it means something. We're talking about it, which alone is proof that it's one of those stats out there that serve as indicators of the long-term success of a program over decades. # of wins all-time ... # of bowls and bowl wins all-time ... # of NFL players all-time ... # of years with an NFL draftee ... etc.

There are small "clubs" of teams at the top end of each of those lists. Tennessee is in most of them. But we just got shown the door on this one, and--unfortunately--it's one you can never get back into once you're out. That's the real pity of the streak getting broken.

Plus, this is one of those markers you can put down on the coffee table in that 5* high school recruit's living room. Want to get to the NFL, son? We've sent players there every single year ... only six teams in all of College football can say that. Oops. We can't say that any more.

It's not a catastrophe, we still have a ton of other positive selling points in recruiting, and other laurels to show that we're one of the all-time elite programs in the nation. But each time we lose one of those, it's painful. As it should be.

That's why it means something.

Nice try

JFK was planning on attending a Cowboys game the last time this happened.

Reactions: 1 person
For those blaming Dooley for ending the streak you have to give him credit for extending the streak. Didn't Dooley recruit Malik Jackson from USC? Well, Jackson was the only UT player taken in the 2012 draft.

For those blaming Dooley for ending the streak you have to give him credit for extending the streak. Didn't Dooley recruit Malik Jackson from USC? Well, Jackson was the only UT player taken in the 2012 draft.

Not sure what kind of VN poster you are, but we rarely engage facts when it helps a defend a hated rival or person.

That was pretty good...I can understand why he gave up after that crowning achievement.

VN Store

Back