Tennessee assistant coach posts staff-wide ‘swagger’ pic

I'm 38 almost 39 and I really think bout those years from time to time just because I hear stories bout my old man and the fun times he had especially with my mom, he passed in 92 and he was a young man, 40 but I enjoy the music like he did from back then.. I did miss out on those years sounded like a blast..
I will tell you how fortunate I feel about when I was born. It was 1949, which enabled me to grow up like Opie Taylor in Mayberry. My friends and I would go downtown and walk around, and maybe go to an occasional Sat. cowboy movie for a quarter. Our dogs would often follow us and sit outside of the stores until we came out.

Our tv and movie role models were Marshal Dillon, Superman, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, and Sheriff Andy Taylor, among others. The good guy always won. I remember getting our first tv. I remember the excitement of being in class listening to and watching the first manned space flights .

I remember taking the polio vaccine on a sugar cube, which was given out to all the public at the high school. I remember when our school was first integrated when I was a sophomore in high school. I remember the sadness of hearing of President Kennedy's assassination while we were in English class.

I started to U.T. in the Fall of 1967, and went to every home game for 5 seasons. We won every home game except two. One was a remarkable comeback and a 2 point conversion for a 17-17 tie versus Georgia, and the other a one point 10-9 loss to Auburn and Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan.

I got to see A.W. Davis, Dale Ellis, Ernie and Bernie, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek, and Pete Maravich play basketball in person. I saw Ron Widby and Herman Weaver punt the ball like nobody else in Neyland . I saw Jack Reynolds, Steve Kiner, and Jackie Walker play linebacker. I saw Scott throw to Trott. I sat in the stadium and watched us beat Penn State in 2 successive games : the last game of 1971 and first one of 72 I believe.

Then you throw in the two 426 Hemi Cudas, Hemi Roadrunner, and Hemi Charger, three 427 Tri-Power Corvettes, two SD-455 Trans Ams, GS Stage I Buick, W-30 Olds, 428 CobraJet Torino, 390 AMX, and numerous other hi-po cars that I was fortunate enough to be able to buy and own when they weren't worth a lot.

Add in the excitement of seeing the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, and the Rolling Stones, The Animals, and Woodstock, and Cream, and Chicago, and Led Zep, etc. , etc. I have lived a charmed life, and I wake up happy every single day waiting for what comes, and knowing that I can handle it.

Reactions: 5 people
I will tell you how fortunate I feel about when I was born. It was 1949, which enabled me to grow up like Opie Taylor in Mayberry. My friends and I would go downtown and walk around, and maybe go to an occasional Sat. cowboy movie for a quarter. Our dogs would often follow us and sit outside of the stores until we came out.

Our tv and movie role models were Marshal Dillon, Superman, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, and Sheriff Andy Taylor, among others. The good guy always won. I remember getting our first tv. I remember the excitement of being in class listening to and watching the first manned space flights .

I remember taking the polio vaccine on a sugar cube, which was given out to all the public at the high school. I remember when our school was first integrated when I was a sophomore in high school. I remember the sadness of hearing of President Kennedy's assassination while we were in English class.

I started to U.T. in the Fall of 1967, and went to every home game for 5 seasons. We won every home game except two. One was a remarkable comeback and a 2 point conversion for a 17-17 tie versus Georgia, and the other a one point 10-9 loss to Auburn and Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan.

I got to see A.W. Davis, Dale Ellis, Ernie and Bernie, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek, and Pete Maravich play basketball in person. I saw Ron Widby and Herman Weaver punt the ball like nobody else in Neyland . I saw Jack Reynolds, Steve Kiner, and Jackie Walker play linebacker. I saw Scott throw to Trott. I sat in the stadium and watched us beat Penn State in 2 successive games : the last game of 1971 and first one of 72 I believe.

Then you throw in the two 426 Hemi Cudas, Hemi Roadrunner, and Hemi Charger, three 427 Tri-Power Corvettes, two SD-455 Trans Ams, GS Stage I Buick, W-30 Olds, 428 CobraJet Torino, 390 AMX, and numerous other hi-po cars that I was fortunate enough to be able to buy and own when they weren't worth a lot.

Add in the excitement of seeing the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, and the Rolling Stones, The Animals, and Woodstock, and Cream, and Chicago, and Led Zep, etc. , etc. I have lived a charmed life, and I wake up happy every single day waiting for what comes, and knowing that I can handle it.

Appreciate that..

Appreciate that..
Thanks. A couple of other sports stories. I saw Ted Williams hit a home run in his last season while playing against the Washington Senators at the old Griffith Stadium in D.C. I also have seen Sam Snead and Ben Hogan play tournament golf, and while slightly past their primes, I saw Snead finish 2nd in The PGA Tournament at Firestone in 1966, and saw Hogan finished 20th at the 1967 U.S. Open at Baltusrol . I followed Nicklaus and Arnie while they were paired the last 2 days at that Open. They finished 1 and 2 with a 27 year old Nicklaus on top.

Reactions: 2 people
I swear half of Vol Nation is old and grumpy with a negative opinion on anything that has to do with us not being "traditional" in some way.

Reactions: 1 person

I missed that era by. 5 years but still think about all of that. Attitude is everything and being thankful is healthy. Thanks for sharing!!!

Actually I think most of the negativity I've seen here comes from the younger guys..,,
I never pay attention to anyone's age, but what you said would make sense. Most of us older guys have experienced a lot of disappointment in our lives, and have learned to deal with it.
I know that I have way more patience than I had when I was younger, and have my priorities more in order. That is why I don't worry about losing a few football games. We will be back.

Wow, makes one wonder if 2015 is the year Zach Azzanni's receiving corps actually live up to their expectations?
Vol's will be loaded at receiver and they must deliver if the Vol's are to win consistently

^ Nutty as squirrel turds.

I never pay attention to anyone's age, but what you said would make sense. Most of us older guys have experienced a lot of disappointment in our lives, and have learned to deal with it.
I know that I have way more patience than I had when I was younger, and have my priorities more in order. That is why I don't worry about losing a few football games. We will be back.

I'm the same age as you are grad. You hit it right on the head.:hi:

I'm the same age as you are grad. You hit it right on the head.:hi:
A lot of people our age have had to deal with some serious life changing events by now. I have seen 4 of my high schools buddies go away to Vietnam, and get shipped home in a bag. I have been at the bedside of both of my parents when they died, gone through a divorce from my college sweetheart (her idea, not mine), but I bounced back and got remarried, and am still married 27 years later.

I and am currently helping my brother with his daily activities since he is battling Stage 4 cancer.
The two of us had to close a long time ( 67 years) family business due to his illness. So, I am retired before I can really afford it, but he has no other family, and we have had to spend about 50 days in various hospitals in the last year and a half due to 4 surgeries.

In spite of all this, and maybe because of it, I am stronger, and still optimistic, and I realize that football is a game. The other stuff is life, and I can cope. I am probably no different than most 65 year olds, except I still look forward to tomorrow. Some of us give up after getting kicked in the nuts. Not me.

Reactions: 5 people
I've decided that I am a fan of 1972 Grad. Great posts on this thread. I really enjoyed reading them.

No blue font.

Calm down. He was just stating the obvious . . . It's ridiculous looking for a bunch of 40 year olds to pose like that, but it's just the kind of thing that happens in the name of recruiting teenagers.

Maybe where you are from it's ridiculous....but don't put that on everyone. Everyone doesn't suddenly become completely uptight in all situations when they pass 25 years old. For me ....getting drunk is rediculous for 40 year olds...but I see plenty of 40 plus year olds lit up at ball games.....

Reactions: 4 people
I doubt it. In my day, you weren't supposed to brag on yourself, and act like a street punk. You were supposed to be humble, and let your play do the talking. Cassius Clay changed the culture.

Street punk....really....wow.......then blame it on C.C. aka. M.A. nah......he didn't start the bragging.....maybe he was just the best at it.......

Wow, makes one wonder if 2015 is the year Zach Azzanni's receiving corps actually live up to their expectations?
Vol's will be loaded at receiver and they must deliver if the Vol's are to win consistently

Wow, where did that come from. I assume you don't like CZA? I do not see the connection between your post and the OPs intent otherwise.

Maybe where you are from it's ridiculous....but don't put that on everyone. Everyone doesn't suddenly become completely uptight in all situations when they pass 25 years old. For me ....getting drunk is rediculous for 40 year olds...but I see plenty of 40 plus year olds lit up at ball games.....

Watch it, buddy!

I've decided that I am a fan of 1972 Grad. Great posts on this thread. I really enjoyed reading them.

No blue font.
Thank you sir, and I actually did know Hacksaw while at U.T. He visited a guy who lived next door in Reese Hll that he went to high school with in Cincinnati. We weren't friends or anything, but I talked to him a few times.

Street punk....really....wow.......then blame it on C.C. aka. M.A. nah......he didn't start the bragging.....maybe he was just the best at it.......
Clay had a bigger stage than any other braggart. Gorgeous George was before him, but not as well known. I think that Rick Flair was the reincarnation of Gorgeous George.

Serious question.
Why do you refuse to call him Ali?
I don't refuse to call him Ali. I call him Ali now, all the time. It is just that I first stated that it was Cassius Clay, whom I believe is most responsible for the showboating today. That was the name of the person when he started his showboating. He continued it as Ali.

I actually was a fan, and loved to watch him fight. I used to pay to watch him on closed circuit fights in theaters and auditoriums. I listened to the first Liston fight on an old stereo radio in our living room in about 1964 or so. I think that fight was fixed, but I liked seeing Liston get beat.

I saw the Norton , Frazier, Holmes, and Foreman bouts, and I saw some lesser bouts that he won. The things that aggravated me about him was the rope-a-dope and grabbing fighters behind their neck. He was the best of his time though.

VN Store

Back